Info about vail lake please

Discussion in 'Bass' started by bassinnavyman24, Jun 29, 2016.

1. bassinnavyman24

bassinnavyman24 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +206
    Boat:
    not yet
    So i have been hearing about people catching all these fish at vail lake and was doing some research to see about fishing it. So from what i gather its a private lake and to fish it you have to go through the rv resort? Can someone shed some light on this for me.

2. MaskedFisherDUDE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +724
    It is now public. You can shore fish for 20 bucks I believe. If you have a float tube it's 50 to launch it. If you want to fish it from a boat I think it's 150 to launch it. Fishing can be good. I've also never fished it as low as it currently is.

3. bassinnavyman24

bassinnavyman24 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +206
    Boat:
    not yet

Ty do you know who i would need to call to find out the exact info

4. Fishbreath

Fishbreath Fishing tales told here....some true.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,546
    Talking about Vail will make grown men cry. I fished there during the good times. It was bought by the Rancho California Water District a couple of years ago. Nothing changed much at first. It was no longer private, but the fees were set to discourage daily use. They implemented an annual pass system, which is not much difference that the old private membership fee. What did change is now it is run like any other water district reservoir, i. e., recreation takes a back seat. Last fall with all the talk about El Niño they began licking their chops about all that free water. They drew water from Vail to recharge some of their underground storage anticipating refilling the lake from the rains that never came. Vail was already low from the drought, and eventually the water became too low to launch, even with some additions made to the ramp. I understand some small boats can still launch with four-wheel drive, but all that uncertainty caused most of us not to buy the annual pass this year. Here is a link to their weekly fishing report. Vail Lake fishing report. There is a phone number there for the lakeside ranger station. Let us know how you do if you go. Access is not through the RV park. There is a separate entrance for the lake about three miles past the RV park entrance.

#4 Fishbreath, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016