Info on fishing the White Mountains in AZ?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Tomaso, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Tomaso

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,062
    The wife & I are planning a trip up to the white mountains area of az (our first) next month. I'm having a difficult time getting up to date information online... doesn't seem to be the equivalent of the fishing reports we get from the mammoth fly shops, etc. Plan to stay in Pinetop, but will be foraging from there out to the NM line. Probably will avoid the apache reservation, if feasible.

Anyway, is there anyone out there in SDFISH land that has fairly current information on that area? We'll probably be spending a lot of time in our float tubes, but may hit the streams in the Greer area, and perhaps the west fork of the black river.

Any pointers???

Thanks,

Tom

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,001
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Fished that area centuries ago. Some great fishing in beautiful country with damn few people

3. Shawn5

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +212
    Fish the black river the lower section has small mouth alot of them and also the upper section has trophy size trout just make sure you get the pass to fish on the reservation and make sure you don't cross the river to the other side there are different reservations and if you don't have a pass for that particular one you will be cited there's plenty of small streams to fish in the area you can check Silver Creek fish hatchery is also good spot plenty of bank fishing I would go to sportsmans warehouse in pinetop they have good info and flies are cheap I was in Pinetop last June and fished alot of the streams and the Black River was the best

4. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,571
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    Years ago big smallmouth were pretty common, but that doesn’t help you now.

5. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,459
    Anglers out there tend to be even more tight-lipped than the freshwater anglers here. The combination of being far away from any kind of civilization and amazing fisheries guarantees that. Best bet is to call some local tackle shops right before you leave. They'll gladly give you the info, you might buy from them lol. Not familiar with the area you plan on working, but I've got a little time in fishing some of the waters right up along the rim to the east about 20-30 miles. No pressure out there at all. Friendly people when you do run into them. And AZDFG wardens around every bend lol.

Main thing to be concerned about, if anything, is the fire risk up there. That part of the state is known for some massive fires, including the rodeo-chedisky fire complex that wiped that specific area clean about a decade, decade and a half ago. Shouldn't be too bad in august, monsoons tend to keep things knocked down, but you never know what the lightning will do to the land...

6. Tomaso

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,062
    All:

Thanks for the input. Looks like it will be one of those open-ended trips... just go and explore. Hoping to fish Show Low lake (some nice smallmouth), Becker (some big trout), and the upper sections of the black river. I always tend to over-plan these things, so I'm trying not to get too carried away at this point ;-).

Thanks again. If anyone else has any thoughts, please let me know!

Tom

7. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,707
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    I was just there, maybe 53 years ago! So helpful huh? Fished Show Low and a couple nice streams in the area. Seemed like the fish had never seen a fly before..tried to kill everything! Found a beautiful little stream with hungry trout, then the locals ran a couple hundred head of cattle through the stream just upriver from me..party over! I remember lots of skunks inviting themselves into our campsite each night around dinner time...interesting!!

8. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,154
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    Have fun Tom

9. Tomaso

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,062
    Thanks, amigo! I think it'll be interesting to try somewhere new.