Info on Super Seeker Salty Crew Edition

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by EuroDriver, Dec 4, 2020.

1. EuroDriver

EuroDriver Active Member

Ratings:
    +62
    Name:
    Nathan
    I'm eyeballing a SS 6480 Salty Crew Edition. Other that the wrap in Salty Crew colors, what are the other differences? Some state that it has better blank material, other say it's the same blank. I'd also like to know what guides they come with.

Internet sleuth skills have yielded very little info for me so any definitive information is appreciated.

2. Roncador

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,315
    Lol no difference at all just the name and colors on the wraps. Definitely not as good as the fat butt super seekers from the early 2000's though, in terms of action and how strong they are. Not saying they aren't good because the new ones are great rods and better than anything you'd get from shimano phenix or any other manufacturer that gets their blanks from china.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Chriwilson

Chriwilson I'm your Huckleberry ...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,387
    Boat:
    Nunya
  4. EuroDriver

EuroDriver Active Member

Ratings:
    +62
    Name:
    Nathan
    Thanks for that clarification. I had read that thread but it mentions nothing about guide materials.

The Salty Crew I'm looking at has cork tape grips and no reel seat

5. Chriwilson

Chriwilson I'm your Huckleberry ...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,387
    Boat:
    Nunya
    Not sure who stocks them on the regular, I don't recall seeing any last time at Squidco.
    Maybe check the OC tackle shops if the landings don't have them in; Melton's or Longfin

6. EuroDriver

EuroDriver Active Member

Ratings:
    +62
    Name:
    Nathan
    I found it at Sqidco - it was their last one. Like I mentioned above, it's a cork tape grip and no reel seat.
    I pulled the trigger on it and had them install a reel seat

7. Noms

Noms Dirty taco maker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,242
    Name:
    Angel
    Boat:
    15 gregor tin can
    Via fatspottie "the Salty Crew blanks are Super Seeker blanks wrapped in blue and get a sticker, the exact same blank. Literally the same rod... check the back SS 93H CT as an example.

The premier series of Seeker Rods are the SSR and Super Seekers. They are both composited if the same graphite and S glass, wrapped in the same manderals, but the amount of “flags” of graphite in the wrap itself is shorter, so the SSR is a bit more parabolic once it’s broke in.

The BlackSteel Graphite’s are E glass and Graphite rods with a higher amount of graphite through out the blank. It makes the series a bit stiffer and lighter... at the sacrifice of a faster action. They become telephone poles.

I like the classic and Pinhead series personally. Glass... put a bend in the rod and kill that fish."

Personally I feel like they are over priced just because of the salty crew branding. New or used. I'd still pick one up used if it is priced right.

8. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Lord Pitmaster
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,850
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Big Metal One
    ^^^^

It was at first that some of the Salty Crew rods were an earlier generation of Super Seeker. I had a SS93H that I ended up getting rid of at one point. I hated the action. Last I heard, the guy I sold it to ended up selling it to another guy, who sold it to SD Tackle Traders. Then SD Tackle Traders sold the rod for $600 at Fred Hall. I saw it and was like eeyyyyyy maybe I’ll buy it for less then I sold it for then saw the price tag :(

9. Noms

Noms Dirty taco maker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,242
    Name:
    Angel
    Boat:
    15 gregor tin can
    Wow I bet the new owner has it just sitting in some closet or garage. Probably waiting to unload it on someone else for more than they paid. Seems like a lot of people really over value certain kinds of long rods. Then again maybe some are worth the hype. I haven't fished enough 9+ footers to actually know. What I do know is that better, stronger and lighter rods definitely will keep being developed.

10. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Lord Pitmaster
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,850
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Big Metal One
    All I can say is that I’ve broken that rod and was not impressed. If someone is impressed and sees value in the name that’s their own gig. I also have one of those Coveted CEX Uluas and I have to say that I’m also not super impressed. It chucks the big jigs good... but holy hell is it a stiff, stiff rod.

11. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,789
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    Should see what 95 mags are running for on BD these days. It’s just a certain popular jig blank cut down on both ends.

12. Noms

Noms Dirty taco maker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,242
    Name:
    Angel
    Boat:
    15 gregor tin can
    Yeah I've seen some before.