Input on boat purchase

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by HamSupLo, Aug 30, 2019.

1. HamSupLo

HamSupLo Member

Ratings:
    +80
    Name:
    JDubb
    Business partner and I are looking for a boat. I currently own a LV14, but would love something bigger to do some offshore work.

Here is the challenge, I purely want this thing to fish and he wants to use it to cruise around with his family.

is there a platform that has a good compromise? We have a budget up to 50k, and would prefer something we could slip in Oceanside. I’m open to size but I want something manageable for two folks to operate easily.

We have a broker looking but he’s guiding us more towards a family oriented boat and I want something more fishy. Heading up to Oceanside this morning to look at a 28ft Chris Craft but I’m not all that excited but want to start the discussion somewhere.

Would love to hear your feedback.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Ok.... The following is my $.02

I have owned a boat, and I have sold a boat. I have never partnered with anyone and split ownership because I perceive that as having the potential to damage the relationship. You asked my advice, and this is what it is.....

If your budget is $50K, take your half and buy your own boat. You can buy a very nice used fishing vessel for $25K. Boat slips charge by the foot. There's no reason you couldn't buy a 21' cuddy cabin or center console for $25K. If it's used, it might already be fully loaded with electronics, trailer, bait tank, and well maintained power plant.

I would gravitate towards a boat with an outboard motor. They are more fuel efficient, and much easier to work on. So scheduled maintenance or repairs will cost you less. Also, if you have room to trailer your boat (like it it's a 21' center console or cuddy cabin, and you own a home with a driveway or alternate place to park the boat) then you save money on a slip. And this could potentially increase your initial budget.

But save yourself from damaging the relationship by going forward with jointly buying a boat. You guys have polar opposite perceptions and goals for what the boat will be used for. This will eventually become a point of contingency. You buy your fishing boat, and let him buy his family boat. You will be glad you went with this option.

Good luck friend.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 5
    • List
  3. Graydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +822
    Boat:
    Freedom Boat Club
    My 2 cents:

I was in a similar situation as you minus the business partner but wanted a fishing boat and my wife wanted something to cruise in with friends. There are certainly some boats that can fit that bill but probably will always leave one person a little disappointed. I would say at least check out Freedom Boat Club and see if it would fit your needs, they have great fishing boats, pontoons, deck boats etc and you can do a family and friends membership if you want to go in with your partner. This was the perfect solution for what I needed. Message me if you want to ask any questions.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  4. Kahuna bass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +650
    Boat:
    Warrior 208XRS bass
    Well said, guys! Partnership in a boat can be an end to a friendship.

Cost and partner's expectations can ruin the fun that is expected. It may start out exciting and going well, but when you start investing money for upkeep and upgrades, the fun part goes away quickly. For some, it works out. Most, it doesn't.

My 2 cents.... Good luck.

Mel - Kahuna bass

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. HamSupLo

HamSupLo Member

Ratings:
    +80
    Name:
    JDubb
    Appreciate the feedback guys. Didn’t think about the potential pitfalls, but I would also say we’re very close friends and we have been working together on various investments for years.

Good news is that I did talk him to something a little more utility. Challenge is that we want a slip preferably in Oceanside and I hear that is not likely. We could trailer but that limits us on what were looking at. In all reality we’ll have the families on the boat 2-3 times a year, the rest of the time it will be a dedicated fisher

I’ll let you guys know what we end up doing, but for now I’m taking the small skiff out Monday for some time on the bay and happy with that!

#5 HamSupLo, Aug 31, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,475
    Key West Boats May have a model that comes close to working for both of your needs. Not very many of those boats to be found around here but they do pop up for sale from time to time.

Agree with the other comments suggesting you two buy separate boats. If you’re serious about fishing, over time you might just realize that you should’ve gotten a fishing boat in the first place and may have to go through a lot of time and hassle to divest your stake in that boat.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,144
    Cruiser boats dont fish well, mostly cabin space, table, sink stove, bla bla Bla, suck us all the deck space...
    30 ft boat with 5 feet of rear deck is not something I find appealing what so ever...
    Example, Ide take a 21ft center console of a Striper WAC over say a 27ft SeaRay Sundancer...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. lone_wolf

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,448
    The guys have posted some really good relevant points to consider moving forward. Good luck with the hunt! If you need someone to be the new owner for that lv14, keep me in mind captain!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. reelsimple

reelsimple Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I’d be pretty surprised if you’re able to find a slip in O’side. The wait list is forever long.

How about an early 2000’s Parker 2320xl from the East coast, it’s right in your budget and I think it can meet both party’s needs.

10. HamSupLo

HamSupLo Member

Ratings:
    +80
    Name:
    JDubb
    I’ve given up most hope for a slip in Oside but we have a broker doing some searching and who knows what he may come up with.

I saw a Parker 2320 being towed today, I do agree that would fit the bill.

11. HamSupLo

HamSupLo Member

Ratings:
    +80
    Name:
    JDubb
    I’ll let you know! In the end I may just sell the LV14 and pick up something in the 16-18ft range.

12. Valco14

Valco14 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +220
  13. ror_sal

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,721
    I have a LV14 myself but really interested in a 18’ whaler. I think it’s the perfect platform that does it all

14. snook777

snook777 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61