Insurance caution

Discussion in 'General Fishing' started by Larry Williams, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Larry Williams

Larry Williams Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +35
    N

#1 Larry Williams, Dec 6, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  2. 1fishnfool

1fishnfool Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105
    Wouldn`t the other drivers insurance cover it if he rear ended you?I honestly would not expect it to cover my boat out of water on the trailer,but that is just my thinking.

3. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,496
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Check with your auto insurance I know mine works for towing . If the other driver was uninsured your uninsured motorist clause should work . Hope there were no injuries ,and all are OK . I always am apprehensive about others attention to boats when I tow particularly long distances . Good Luck . WR

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,357
    Name:
    Larry M
    Check your auto insurance it may cover it since it was being towed with your vehicle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. oh da shiz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,274
    Boat:
    Ranger Z21
    Larry Williams Sorry this happened to you.

I’m in the insurance industry and your auto insurance will not cover the boat itself for damages. If you clip something while towing your boat, then your auto policy will pay for damages caused by the boat or trailer for liability.

I’m surprised that GEICO is denying coverage for this. This type of accident actually happens a lot more than people think. Losses to boats do occur while on the trailer, on land.

If you’d like to discuss this offline feel free to PM me and I can see what I can do to assist you.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. afishnsea

afishnsea Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +283
    Name:
    Phil

#6 afishnsea, Dec 6, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  7. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,088
    Do you have both auto and boat insurance with them so at least they can't claim the other company's policy should cover it? If they claimed you had complete coverage, push them on why it is not covered by at least one of the policies.

Nothing at About Boat Insurance ~ What is boat insurance and what does it cover? | GEICO :that states a rear ender would not be covered. Did you decline any options that might have covered towing? They should have at least offered an option for coverage.

8. Tony Vegas

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,285
    Name:
    Tony Vegas
    If you were rear ended shouldn't their insurance cover...unless you shady brake checkin ppl.......but for real though why wouldn't the other party's insurance cover the damage Were you at fault? Was the other motorist insured? CA has laws about coverage minimums and part of that is property damage. Id hire a lawyer and go after the guys insurance company to pay out......