Iron Modifying.. come out of the Woodwork

Discussion in 'Lure Making & Customizing' started by Fat Spottie, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Picasso of Stupid
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,816
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    Aight so I have these two Tady 1/0s single hooks that feel ******** amazing. Good edges, right shape... but they’re duds. So, what can I do to fix them. One of them there is no fixing... it’s about as good as I imagine it could be, wider hips but no fixing that. The second one has even sharper edges and better hips but the eye is tiny af and centered.

So here’s my question... if opening up the eye would help... would it help more if the eye was more on the bigger side of the hip or smaller side? Would it react more to the amount of space it had to move or???? Does the eye have to be towards a maximum size? Just some thoughts. I’ll post some pictures in a bit.

2. Capt Ray

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,186
    Name:
    Ray
    I am by no means an expert but from my experience with iron that don't perform well I usually just keep trying to oblong the line tie ring hole until I get the desired action. I never really gave much thought as to which way I favor the hole. Maybe I have just been lucky, but given the iron doesn't perform you really have nothing to loose. Go at it and see what you end up with. Worse case it is only $10.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. Fins in the Bin

Fins in the Bin Active Member

Ratings:
    +259
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Belt sander and play with the shape of the hip edges (offset them maybe) is the first and easiest to start. You have to remove the ring if your going to enlarge the hole and then you will also need to bevel it and smooth it before you solder a new ring back in which is slow. I went down this road a little then realized it took more time than I had with the amount of variables that go into a compound shape like a jig. I always search for one with an off center hole to give it that "release", assuming you want it to track to one side and then come back in line and veer off again. Good luck I hope you can make it have the magic swim. If you figure it out Ill give you 5 lame jigs if you can give me one great swimmer back!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. Kam_Walsh98

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,674
    beat em with a hammer until something happens