Is a Shimano Sojourn SJC 66-M casting rod any good

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by jeffbdice, Jan 19, 2010.

1. jeffbdice

jeffbdice Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is a Shimano Sojourn SJC 66-M casting rod any good. Any help would be great! couldn't find much reviews on it.

2. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,393
    Re:Is a Shimano Sojourn SJC 66-M casting rod any g

I can't comment on the Shimano Sojourn, but right now you can get a Bass Pro Carbonlite for only $69.99. They normally sell for $99.99. The 7'M 8-17lb test will make a great all purpose stick. It's the best value right now!

here's another great rod for the money.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rchResults

3. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,977
    And if you still can't justify 70 bucks, Cabela's makes the Proguide for 39.99 and that's a great inexpensive stick, either the 6.6 #8-17lb. medium or the 7 ft.

4. Pwy_FireCapt

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +717
    My son had a Sojourn spinning rod, and it broke about the third eye down while working a 3# bass a week after he got it. We returned it to the store he bought it from and the kid there said they get a lot of them back.

5. fishindad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,419
    Don`t know about the Sojourn but I have nothing but good reviews on The Shimano Clarus rods that are around the same price range.

Clarus rods have the Lifetime no hassle warranty that I have taken advantage of a few times.They are very light and also have been known to yank in a few Bass by quite a few others who would agree. 6'6'' or 7' medium Clarus is a good crank bait rod too.
    http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpage ... HCLCR.html

6. LMB569

LMB569 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Fishindad! I think a great setup for you would be a Citica on a Clarus. Great setup for the price and Shimano's warranty is pretty top notch.

7. FreshNSalt

FreshNSalt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Boat:
    I wish
    In my opinion any shimano product is good. I haven't had a sojourn before but, I've had models below this, FX, Stimula, and Solara and the model above this, the Scimitar. Never had any problems with any of them and I catch more bass with the FX which is the cheapest model sold by shimano.

I have to go cheap, got four kids.

Mike

8. J Hinds

J Hinds Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    In my experience, Okuma rods provide excellent value for the $. Check with board sponsors or TW.

9. duff75

duff75 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1

I HAD this same rod and it broke on a hook set never got the fish indue to lack of hook set! stay away from this rod!

10. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,743
    Sojourn's a good rod, I've thought about buying that same one. Nice action for how I'd use it. I've waved it around in the air, flexed it in my hands, and against the floor, and it didn't break.
    You're always going to find people who broke any rod you ask about. Paying more for a rod doesn't mean it won't break, or that it hasn't already been fractured by some guy waving it around the store to test its action.
    Smarter guys than me will tell you to spend money on a better quality reel; a rod's just a rod.
    If I already didn't have a handful of baitcast rods and wanted to go fishing tomorrow, I'd go to Wal-Mart and buy one of the Shakespeare rods they have for 14 bucks. They're silver in color, I forget the name. Nice medium-heavy action..haven't been able to find any mediums.
    If it's not about money (but hey, let's not go too crazy) then check out the recommendations made by others on this thread. As you go up in price, Shimano's warrantee comes into play. But their rods aren't any more durable than other brands, or even cheaper Shimanos. You're just paying a little more for an insurance policy.
    Want a tougher rod that might stand up better to being tossed around? Buy an Ugly Stick, or a Shimano Voltaeus (sp?). They're supposed to be able to take abuse.
    blah blah blah...

11. sdbasser888

sdbasser888 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    go with the clarus its a great rod

12. jeffbdice

jeffbdice Active Member

Ratings:
    +0

I AGREE. THE REEL IS PRIMARY EQUIPMENT. GOOD MONEY SPENT ON A REEL IS KEY, ALTHOUGH SPENDING MORE MONEY ON A EXPENSIVE ROD IS ON THE WAIT LIST 4 NOW. GOT A KID ON THE WAY BUT JUST TRYIN TO GET SOME DECENT GEAR. THANKS 4 THE HELP AND OPINIONS.

-DICE

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0

If you're trying to save money(who isn't?)....then you can get the Shimano Scimitar at Sports Authority in Grossmont for around $30 I believe. I've had this rod for 2 years now and its helped me catch somewhere around 200-250 bass. I mostly use it for my late night "ninja sessions" for all applications such as T-rigs, buzz frogs, blades, senkos, topwater, jerks, traps and small jigs. IMO, it's a great rod at that price!!

14. duff75

duff75 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1

I have only broke 2 rods ever on the hook set one was on a 35 pound king salmon the other was this rod while fishing for LMB? I would say to spend the money on a better rod but if your option is this rod or an ugly stick get this rod!