Is it common....

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by Espinoza569, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Espinoza569

Espinoza569 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +57
    To start surf fishing and enjoy it more than all other forms of fishing? At this point I’m already considering selling all my deep water gear and getting a couple surf set ups exclusively. The main reason, other than enjoyment, is the fact that I have fished more this weekend than I have on boats in the last 8 months. All at a cost of $0 vs a couple hundred. Yeah catching a huge tuna would be fun a life goal, but the potential of spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars to potentially come up empty handed isn’t something I can afford. Plus, in the end, if all you do is want to catch fish, regardless of species, it doesn’t matter if it’s on 6# or 100# test.

• Like Like x 9
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  2. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,535
    Name:
    Kyle
    I definitely get the money thing, especially with Covid prices have gone up to make up for the lack of people. Now would be a good time to sell your gear if you want because the boat fishing is hot.

3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +48,950
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    There is a reason I have switched from multiple different methods to what I do now...

4. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,535
    Name:
    Kyle
    I mean, if you really feel this way, sell your boat gear and invest in some primo shore gear. May as well fish with the best and as you eluded, the most important thing is that you are out fishing whether it be on a boat or shore.

5. Dry Fly Rie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,313
    Surf fishing can be extremely addictive. For me, it's become my preferred method for the past 4 Summers. I love the simplicity of tactics and tackle. I love the species diversity. I love the mystique of what I might catch on any given cast. I love walking the beach looking for a likely holding spot. I love catching fish in small windows between swimmers and surfers. I love pulling a small leopard shark up onto the hard pack and having some vacationing mom from North Dakota freak out and yell for her kids to "get out of the water" like a scene from Jaws. I love foggy mornings with calm water. And I love brilliant sunsets when the water has emptied of people and I have it all to myself.

I still love tubing ponds for bass and bluegill, and kicking around the bays for spotties, but the easy access, low cost, and simplicity of surf fishing is what really sets it apart for me.

Throw in the fact that I have 3 young kids, and making a few casts from the wet sand while my little ones play in the waves or dig in the sand, and it's a no-brainer. I can merge fishing time with family time, and that's a win, every time!

I really, really love small stream fishing in the Sierras for trout with my fly rod, but the 800 mile round trip and lack of easy access/success for my kids makes it a tough proposition at this point in my life.

My dad has always been a surf fishing fan, and for the longest time, I thought it was a waste of a few hours at the beach that could have been spent body surfing. Now that I'm a little older and wiser, I realize how smart he was for spending time on the sand with a rod in hand.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,035
    Name:
    Keath
    I'll go with - it's common. If you like to fish, live close to the coast, have older kids, and a decent amount of slack time it leans more towards an addition.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Bassnbeans

Bassnbeans Zen Fisherman
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,093
    Hahaha!

Another one got bit by the surf bug! LOL!

Coming from freshwater FL, I actually struggled so much fishing here, I hated it (WTF is finesse?). Until I found the surf. And, this forum. Lots of good folks with plenty of helpful advice. Since then, my fishing experiences in SoCal have improved immensely. Stay tuned in on the surf forum. Try to meet up with a few people. The learning curve will be quick, and you'll find all kinds of new challenges to rise to.

Enjoy it!

BTW, ever fish in the desert? LOL!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,945
    Name:
    Eric
    There's certainly a magic to surf fishing. Hard to beat being on the beach and fishing at the same time. I love it all, surf, bay, half day, offshore. But Surf fishing is what I tend to do the most of.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,597
    Such a great thread! Getting me jonesing for a surf sesh, haven’t done actual surf fishing from the beach in a long time....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +673
    This fits me to a tee... Absolutely love surf fishing for many of the above reasons...

Butch

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. spicymayo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +885
    just wait until you get a surf fishing specific light tackle set up. a bass rod and reel will work for sure, but nothing beats fighting a good sized perch or corbina on a light or medium light rod with 4-6lb test.

12. spicymayo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +885
    i suggest looking into some waders to keep it going all year long. i dont know about you guys, but my toes be getting hella numb in the winter water to the point where i get worried. or dont, so you have a reason to change up the fishing. if i had waders, i probably would hardly ever go back to bay shore fishing.

13. Gabemorales

Gabemorales KelpSnagger
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,563
    Name:
    Gabe
    Get rid of gear you don’t use often. Keep your babies! And as mentioned before, depends on what your target is. Perch, beans, croaker, halibut; you can pretty much stick to 2 rigs tbh. Something on the lighter side for the the 1st three, and an all arounder for the hardbaits (if you’re looking to throw them) and bigger species lurking.
    I had a few surf rigs that I acquired as I recently (about a year ago) got into fishing the surf heavily. Was advised to stay on the cheaper side for the reel as the surf eats them up well. The rods I use are under $80 and they kick butt hard. Sharks and rays are a whole different story. Personally don’t see it necessary to have 10 different setups for one type of fishing. Figure out your niche with what you’ve got, then decide from there, or else you’ll end up with a ton of unnecessary gear; which is why I’ve been liquidating my gear lol. My go to as an all arounder is a 2500 sized reel. My 4K feels like I overpower too much (unless it’s a shark or ray), so I leave that reel for jetty fishing

14. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,925
    I think you told me you park near Blacks Beach for work. If I am remembering that correctly then obviously surf fishing makes a ton of sense for you, not to mention it is just fun as hell.

Personally I would hesitate from selling all of your cattle-boat gear unless, of course, you need the money. At least keep that Curado 300 you have. At some point you might get the itch again to get on a half day boat, and that 300 baitcaster will come in handy. Not to mention they are just really versatile reels.

Again, if the budget allows it, I would also keep your 200 sized baitcasting combo. You are having a blast in the surf right now, but surf fishing in the fall/winter is a lot different than the summer. At some point you might get bored of catching fat perch during the winter months, and that lighter baitcasting gear will come in handy targeting bass during the winter minus tides. Not to mention that bass gear will also be helpful in early fall when the bonito start showing up close to shore.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  15. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,535
    Name:
    Kyle
    I agree with this post. The only caveat I would say is if he is done fishing tuna trips and say has a penn fathom 40 or penn International two speed, sell something like that to prop up your shore gear. Also he mentioned he did not have/want to spend the money on tuna trips (which is understandable), so why keep gear you don’t need.

16. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,925
    I completely agree. Sorry for being ambiguous. When I said "don't sell it all" I was strictly referring to that 300 baitcaster. It was probably wrong on my apart to assume he just bought that for boat use.

17. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,092
    Seriously..... if there would never be crowds or salad at the beaches, I’d be a surf fisherman only.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  18. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,945
    Name:
    Eric
    I was wearing waders until a few weeks ago lol. Water is pretty cold at 6am! Got a cheapo pair on amazon for 50$..lasted a season so far so not bad investment.

19. justinjoy

justinjoy Active Member

Ratings:
    +221
    Name:
    JAY
    I love Surf fishing even though I really haven't caught anything. But still for me moving down from Seattle I have all the gear already 10 fold. I am a Gear snob I love the new and Light weight gear. Salmon & Steelhead gear is good Long rods fast action. I like to hit the beach when I am between hitting the boats.

I usually jump on a boat twice a month. either with some buddies or cow boats out of H&M usually when I just want to get out for a half day I will jump on a boat out of Oceanside. The fishing is better down south or up north in San Pedro. Depending on your tuna gear May want to keep just in case you decided to jump on a boat one weekend. but it all depends on how much gear you have and how long of a trip you want to take.

I am a slow learner to this surf fishing. it all looks like water to me lol holes dips dives shelves man it is water lol

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,092
    Focus on those very things you’ve just mentioned and you’ll become a very good surf fisherman in no time!