Is SDFIsh Dying ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by vince, Jun 7, 2012.

1. vince

vince Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Is this web site slowly dying do to the apathy of our, "forgive the langauge" older and more seasoned members. In thier lack of new topics and absence to reply to topics that they have already talked about 6 months ago. I must admit to this very same behavior. Im guilty of just scanning a new thread and then if i do reply. Its with some sarcastic remark like an old grumpy man. "for that i apoligize" But the question remains. Are we going to lose the only local fishing site do to lack of participation. Much like alot of the fishing spots that get gated up do to negelict. SO I POSE A CHALLENGE, NO A DARE!!! POST A NEW TOPIC OR ANSWER TWO. EVERY TIME YOU LOG ON FOR ONE MONTH. Or we may lose one more thing we enjoy.

2. Fishbreath

Fishbreath Fishing tales told here....some true.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,281
    You make some good points, Vince, but I wish you would stop looking at me when saying things like "older and more seasoned members" and "old grumpy man." I, for one, often make several posts in a short period of time and then begin to think maybe I am easier to take in small doses and back off for a while. Like you, I also believe that a lot of the people who have the most to share don't share much. There seems to be some unspoken(or spoken maybe) code among those who fish in club tournaments not to share, because they might somehow give away some advantage by sharing. I hope that I am wrong about that.

3. SWW

SWW Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83
    There is a reason that only 'younger' members dominate this site....
    ....the answers are obvious.

Spend some time going through the posts and it becomes real clear.

4. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,379
    I straight out just enjoy reading the articles written by most... the young bring innovation and the older guys bring a wealth of knowledge. The rude sarcasm gets no where with me, but a little good old fashion smack talk can make for a good read.. just don't step over the boundary and make it personal. I'm with Vince.. an increase in participation by all is needed. If your prefishing for a tournament then I wouldn't expect to hear too many details. But if you're just plain worried that your secrets may somehow end the bass fishing as we know it today, then you have others issues that goes beyond SD Fish.

Step up the post, don't make it personal and have some flipping fun!

5. fishindad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +707
    Im 46 years old but I am considerd an old guy to some.

But to set the record strait guys like myself and Indymusky consistently post reports and maybe one out of 10 reports does not reveal the actual locations.

Advice is freely given when asked.I also have been known to give sarcastic and sometimes caustic replys as needed.But only when they are directed towards me first or to someone I know or when we have certain cry babys who constantly complain about how bad fishing is here and how its better in other locations of the country.No apoligizing from me is required.If you dont like it here in San Diego my native home town then leave:)

I would also like to point out that many that do post reports in Freshwater are all fishing Lake Barrett this time of year so that my be why you are seeing less reports? As far as the tourney club guys many of them get all sensitive with each other when someone reveals spots and locations during tournament season.

Another thing that you may want to take into consideration is the state of the econimy that may also be having an effect on leasure activitys causing less fishing time for some.I consider myself lucky to bust my tail off daily with a good job to afford these activitys.Some are not as lucky as myself.

Last thing you may see less of are the blacked out and psychedelic back grounds of potentally Illeagal fishing locations were some claim this to be the epitome of fishing prowess.After a while these individuals need to consistently prove themselves on a real Lake(Barrett does not count to easy) and not just some pond were the fence is hopped and Tresspassing is transpired.It gets old and tired after a while and sets a bad example for the kids.

I may not be the most popular or well liked poster on this site but thats not my problem.Friendly replys or pms to my posts will be met with a kind responce.

my 2 cents im out...

6. fishindad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +707
    60 posts then why dont you contribute if you can?

Part of the problem or part of a solution?

7. Fishbreath

Fishbreath Fishing tales told here....some true.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,281
    Apparently, the answer is not too clear, because I'm missing it. I'm not even sure it is true. Maybe you could help us out a little. I do love the enthusiasm that newly "hooked" fishermen bring to the site, but also there is no denying the passion that many of us old timers have for the sport.

Since I have way too much time on my hands, I read other sites as well, but I do most of my posting here. SDFish is a much kinder and gentler place than many of the boards. On some sites the haters come out in droves every time you post a report that is not up to their standards, or heaven forbid, make the mistake of overestimating the weight of a fish.

As far as club members posting reports of their prefishing for tournaments, I don't blame you. But I do have respect for the knowledge of tackle and techniques that many of you have and would like to see more participation in general discussion. I am way out of my comfort zone giving very much bass fishing advice, but it is amusing sometimes seeing those who do.

No one will ever accuse you of being boring, fishindad. I never miss one of your posts. Most have some good nuggets in them. For an old guy you bring a lot of energy to your exploits. I like the diversification of the different places you go throughout the area.

8. wccjanel

wccjanel Fishing Guide
    SDFish VIP Site Sponsor

Ratings:
    +39
    Very Interesting.

9. gascon

gascon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I hope we can keep this site going, where "young" and "old", "unexperience" or "evolved", "amateurs" or "professionals" fishermen can exchange reports,ideas and concerns in a pleasent and courteous dialogue. :D

10. indymusky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +664
    Every southern california fishing forum is slow right now.

11. Big Daddy TR21

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Boat:
    Skeeter ZX225
    As one of the old guys I really don't post as much as I should, but many reasons lead to that. I have been burned many times by posting here and other places only to see people sitting on a spot that has been working real well for me, or using a bait I figured out that others may have not yet. If I am pre-fishing for a tourney I just can't say what I am doing anymore.

I have learned NOT to post pictures anymore due to just about everyone knowing what part of lake your at by just looking at the picture you posted and I don't like distorting the pictures like some do just to see a fish.

I know many that don't post here at all anymore because with all the tourneys out there now money is taking over. Our lakes are small and any advantage you may have or think you may have is king. Does that make it right? No, but I don't criticize those that don't post here or anywhere.

I would like to see maybe a year end review from some of the tournament guys as some have had a great year and I will ask some of them to post on there season.

John

12. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,075
    Is SdFish dying!!! I sure hope not, because we are the ones keeping it alive (to an extent). I agree with everyone that has posted a reply to this thread. I cant disagree with anyones response.

Fishin dad is abrasive, but WELL needed. He is always informative and like he said, when you pm him, he's a big teddy bear..haha.

If there's something we can do if this site is in dying condition, what more can we do? Post more? I've pm'd kellen in the past to ask that specific question."what can i do to help out the site". Out of gratitude of this site I asked that. He said that the site has sponsors etc that pay for it to stay up. It's the activity and visits that would make the site more popular to businesses that want to invest in advertising. They could hardly care about the content of the forums.

Funny thing about those guys that blur backgrounds etc is it's a BIG grey area. I might be outta line here, but after hiking,google earth, etc I had SOME success. The best thing to do is ask or pm the dude that posted the pic. No joke, most of them wont flat out tell you, but if you ask, MOST of them will invite you to go cruise with em. Maybe not to that EXACT spot, but what? Wait a minute,...you just met someone through SDFish thats giving you experience, and eventually they will show you the spots, is that called making a friend/fish buddy? Either way it's a win-win. That's not to say that there are guys on here that will clam up on info, but who cares. There's plenty more that do on here.

SD fish isn't dead...

13. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,134
    It's not gonna die, but it sure could use a friendly boost. The best thing we could do to improve the forums is to post simple replies on other post. As nerdy as it sounds, everyone likes to see replies to their post. Even if it's just "Nice fish" or something similar. When your post has 150 views but only 1 reply. It comes across as casting pearls before swine, it makes you feel like 149 ingratos are just taking something from you for their own gain with out even a simple thank you. I'm just as guilty as anyone and I will improve my output from this point forward.

The days of up to the minute, detailed fish reports are behind us, but you can still post pics and reports that leave a little something to the imagination, yet still inspire and educate to help and encourage others. Karma is a big part of fishing.

14. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,379
    You are spot on Fishtricks!

15. gascon

gascon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +10
    That's a very good idea and I will apply it immediately. :D
    PS: afterall, the sponsors pay this site not for the content but for the traffic.

16. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,391
    Gotta agree with Fishtricks. Replying to posts is polite and social.
    Admittedly I don't like "secret spot" posts so much even though the pictures of the fish are nice. It's just that secret spot posts are of little value to me, since they they are secret. :mrgreen: And that's fine. A secret is a secret. I go to places that I want to keep a secret, so I just don't post those reports. I don't want to be putting pictures of fish up with swirly, disguised backdrops. If I get a nice fish at those spots, I just post it on FaceBook for my FB fishing friends to see. Most of my "Regular" lake trips have your average sized fish, so I don't want to overrun the forum with shots of 1 and 2 pound fish. :|

17. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,845
    I am glad you guys care so much about the community here. Obviously, I've spent a lot of time looking to improve participation on this, and other message boards.

There is a lot of stuff online about the fall of the "message board era" as social site's like Facebook now occupy most people's online time.

With the site growing year after year in terms of traffic, I've took a hard look at why thats not translating to a increase on the forums. We seem to have a LOT of lurkers, and not many participants. The opening of Barrett each year is a good example. I get bombarded with emails when tickets go on sale from people who have lost access to their accounts here, since they only use them to buy/sell/trade tickets for Barrett. They're fisherman, and they're members, but outside of bartering tickets, have little interest in talking fishing online. Maybe they feel they have nothing to add? Maybe they don't want to share secrets? Who knows.

A couple years ago I tried a number of things to try to increase participation on the message board. The scavenger hunts, the fish reports of the month, etc... Unfortunately they didn't seem to take ground, and the fish reports contests particularly created some unwanted drama. We have a friendly little community here (thanks to you guys) and I don't want to unsettle that. Its amazing how cutthroat things get over some fishing tackle.

If you guys have ideas, I'd certainly be open to hearing them. I'm going to try to look for ways to get some contests going and stuff, but offering incentives for simply posting is against many terms of service that bind us here. So they'll have to be ideas that aren't a direct reward for post counts and the like.

18. ahowler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +52
    This site earned a nickname SD Donkey, that will not help the cause, also first thing I see when I log on his the WEEKLY POLL QUESTION, just take a look at the results and you will see the first vote casted was on April 18th. Perhaps it should be our quarterly poll question? This post was to winded for me just jumped to here to post that now I am off to llok at backgrounds and see where everyone is catching their fish.

19. gatorfan

gatorfan USN BMC (ret)
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +670
    I don't think this site is any different than most other sites I am a member of. You have your solid crew of old timers that enjoy posting and reading, your crew of young bucks that love fishing and posting their catches, your high-tech crew that uses modern technology to put together reports that put most others to shame, your part-time posters, your "professional classified sellers", and then a huge following of lurkers. I enjoy reading posts and reports and typically post a report after I have been fishing (and will continue to do so). I was a member several years ago but not only forgot my password, I forgot my username! :lol:

BTW Kellen, you could start by changing the home picture, that WSB is getting old! :lol:

20. cornfed

cornfed Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6
    :lol:[/quote][/quote]BTW Kellen, you could start by changing the home picture, that WSB is getting old! :lol:[/quote]

He brings up the idea of the monthly contest, then some guy catches a monster WSB! :) That was pretty funny. How do you top that with the next month's photo? I agree, though. Change the picture up, man! :)

I thoroughly enjoy the site, the information I get, and the friends I've made through this site. I'll be leaving at the end of the month, and I hope to find a site like this in MN. Coming out here, I had no idea how to fish for saltwater. I still don't have much of an idea, but I think I've learned alot. Learning how to use different baits, tactics, and techniques has all been because of this site. Plus, the people I've met and fished with, and knowledge I've gotten from them, has been invaluable. I realize now how little I knew before I joined this site. I've still got a long way to go, as it's a continous process, but I'm very grateful for the assistance and advice I've gotten from many of the members of this site, young and "old". I'll gladly cut through the swirly backgrounds, obnoxious posts, etc. to get to the "worthwhile" stuff. I enjoy posting reports of success, and non-success. And I enjoy reading other reports as well.