Is there a problem?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Escofish, Jul 9, 2016.

?

Is there a police problem

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +875
    I'll be the first to publicly say No.

Actions... No matter the color, speak for themselves!

2. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,273
    I'd say that generally there isn't a problem. Often there's a back story that goes with these accounts of what appears to be excessive force. Not gonna say that the police are never wrong. I've run into some cruddy cops before, myself. There are always going to be people who aren't suited for that profession that decide to go into law enforcement.

3. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,498
    Boat:
    Montauk
    About fell out of my chair when I read this. Just goes to show you that folks can (and do) have the ability to reevaluate and reconsider a seemingly intractable "problem."

“It took me a long time, and a number of people talking to me through the years to get a sense of this,” Gingrich said. “If you are a normal, white American, the truth is you don’t understand being black in America and you instinctively under-estimate the level of discrimination and the level of additional risk.”

“it’s more dangerous to be black in America,” adding that “it’s more dangerous in that you’re substantially more likely to end up in a situation where the police don’t respect you where you could easily get killed. I think sometimes for whites it’s difficult to appreciate how real that is.”

Newt Gingrich, 7/8/16

(Note: I hope Gingrich is being sincere with this statement. He has a documented history of saying racially inflammatory statements. Very well could be, as a possible VP pick, a strategic statement).

4. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,239
    There are good cops and bad cops, just like there are good plumbers and bad plumbers. It's that way with anything. My brother had been abused by a bad cop. He is white. We also don't know the facts yet. I dought the cops involved in the shootings this week woke up and thought "I'm going to kill a black man today, it's my duty". The black community needs to stop seeing everything as race related. Sometimes bad things happen. If the cop made a mistake he will have to answer for it but to demand his head without knowledge of what took place is racism and prejudice.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,273
    I just saw a video of a black reverend who was peacefully protesting with his group at a police station. The police chief invited him to some situation training. The reverend had to be a police officer in three different scenarios where he was responding to calls of "suspicious activity". He had to make a split second decision about drawing his gun and using deadly force. In the first scenario, he didn't draw fast enough, and was "shot" by his suspect. In another, he ended up shooting an unarmed suspect who kept advancing on him, instead of complying with his commands to stop. In the third scenario, he had to try to subdue and handcuff somebody who was concealing a large knife. He was successful in disarming the suspect in that instance....but the whole exercise gave him a completely different perspective of what actually goes on in confrontations between police and suspects.

6. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,407
    Hope it's not a strategic statement. Think of the decades that victims of excessive force from all colors had no voice. Now there is video. Yes agree that we need to allow the investigation to proceed, but with these videos the victims have a voice that they never had before. Being a cop is one of the most difficult jobs out there, and I applaud them for what they do every day. In every profession there are people that don't do their job well, and some that are bad. Problem is, the stakes are high being a cop, and negligence or wrongdoing as a cop usually means lives lost, and for those instances, meaningful consequences must be enforced.

7. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,523
    I don't think anybody's lives have been taken by plumbers this year..so it is a bit different..nobody thinks police have an easy job..I personally have experienced profiling and police not following the rules..it's frustrating that there's nothing you can do about it in those situations..I personally don't think all cops are racists..but i know some are prejudiced..there is a difference...I do find it funny how any mention of the police in a negative light equates to a war on police or anti police..you can criticize the police but not hate them..you can want changes to be made and not be anti police..you can notice that there are issues..it's ok to not want anyone to die!

#7 mikecheck1212, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  8. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,239
    Who wants anyone to die? What changes do you want made? Every time a video comes out everyone jumps on the cops case, but almost every time the cops actions have been justified. I think this is more a manufactured issue then it really is.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  9. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,523
    Almost...that's what I want changed..

10. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,239
    We deal with them once they commit a crime. Again what would you do to make sure a cop never has a bad day, loses his temper. How do you fix a problem before it is exposed. Most cops try and weed out there fellow bad cops however they are unionized, making it difficult to out right get them fired.

11. rustyh

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +990
    I'd love to see that video!

12. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,273

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. rustyh

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +990
    Perfect

14. rustyh

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +990
    Opened my wife's eyes a little

15. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,791
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    How does that work? In a perfect world... wait this world is far from perfect!

There is a truth that nobody wants to address, a huge percentage of crime in inner cities is committed by Black people. In Chicago, for example, the Black on Black crime is huge. Truth be known the police in these places are afraid of Black people and not without rational cause. Who among us would like to be a police officer in these war zones. Call me racist for mentioning the obvious, but you would be wrong.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,523
    I almost fell on the floor laughing at this one...

17. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,523
    Then don't signup to be a cop..pretty simple..there is a common misconception that nobody cares about the other crime..there are plenty of people that do..but you won't hear about it cause they don't show you or you don't want to...

18. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,239
    The truth can be funny sometimes. So any suggestions on what can be done? Some people love to point out flaws in the system but never offer up a better solution.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  19. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,523
    It wasn't funny because it was true..it's prolly the exact opposite...

20. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,523
    More body cams..better training..less profiling..better community relations..higher salaries...less of the us against them attitude...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List