It's all in the de-tails LOL

Discussion in 'Lure Making & Customizing' started by spoonminnow, Mar 10, 2019.

1. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +876
    For many, lures right from the package off the shelf is all they have. If the lure catches fish - great, if not - just one more dust collector. Great lures don't just happen. Imagination, experience, observation in the water and testing on fish make or break a lure. Just like not all crankbaits are created equal, soft plastic lure designs also have unique actions even those close in appearance. All one has to do is look at a wacky rigged Senko compared to other soft
    sticks to see the difference that matters. Of course the plastic formulation is another factor that's not only difficult to duplicate, but for some reason add to Senko successes.

When it comes to the details, in the last few years (more like a dozen), I've watched lures in the water - especially when they've caught 5 species on the same day in the same water to figure what it was about the lure's action that
    contributed to its magic. One example I discovered last year was Charlie Brewer's Slider Worm. At first glance it looks like just any other paddle tail worm, but paddle tail worms don't have the same action on slow a retrieve. Here is the first Slider I ever cast and man did it catch fish! :
    gwFT38q.png

Even used with a Beetle Spin, the worm did great:
    HRvaial.jpg
    (NOTE: I would have never imagined catching fish on a methylate or bright lime green lure, but it did and never fails, all due to lure action.)

Only late last year did it occur to me what made the tail special - the tail is in the shape of a spear - sharp rounded edges that come to a point. Recently I figured: why not use that design with other lure bodies? Here is what I came up with:
    a5LBKa8.jpg
    The larger spear tail at the top was take from a 7" plastic worm made by ??)

Without even watching the three in the water, the spear shaped tail will cause a lure action fish won't ignore. The action between the three will be different, but the basic tail shape will cause lure actions that greatly improve original tail designs.

I've bought Yozuri crankbaits in the past and though beautiful in the package and nice looking action-wise in the water, have never caught fish for me, yet Bomber and many of the old classics have excelled year after year. Even some old Renegade crankbaits from Walmart still produce 20 years later and they were super cheap stored in a box all mixed up.

So take the time to wonder why a lure works so well as compared to similar lures as part of solving just another mystery why fish strike some more than others.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  2. Tom_74

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +794
    Very cool insight, thanks for taking the time to share. Are you hand pouring these, melting 2 lures together etc?

3. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +876
    The three smaller tails are cut from hand poured Slider copies; the top tail is from a large worm, origin unknown.
    The fat body is from a hand poured swimbait with boot tail cut off. All tails are attached holding the ends briefly over a candle flame. The soft plastic glue I've tried works mostly on new lures from the package but not so much on molded plastics. To ensure the fused ends are sturdy, I take a battery powered soldering gun to smooth the seam.

Here are a few more where different tails are added to grub bodies:
    7zNxg3s.png sfKPCCk.jpg
    mys61zh.jpg zemsbJO.jpg
    The Power Grub tail when added to a thicker grub body seems to do better than the slimmer body. Even the tail design has a great whip action which I find superior to Mr Twister and other curl tails that are wide at the base
    LIQtgzd.jpg .

Joker grub tail added to a tube body:
    Hp2ZTwD.jpg

When I catch fish on a hybrid lure, that's not to say other unmodified lures wouldn't do as well. But the action parts of different lures that excel, seem to do well on most bodies because of those tail designs.

4. Tom_74

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +794
  5. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +876
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List