It's official... I am the Chris Davis of Bass Fishing

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by BassRygg, Apr 12, 2019.

1. BassRygg

BassRygg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +174
    Boat:
    Topwater PDL Kayak
    I had hoped to get out to Lake Perris in my kayak, but I saw the forecast called for wind and I decided not to go. I ended up pounding the bank with a friend at Laguna Niguel Lake. We fished together from 7-10 and then I fished solo till about 1 p.m. The result? Skunked! Blanked! What is wrong with me?

To make matters worse - I was so determined to catch a bass, I headed to El Dorado Park because it's close to home and I didn't want to stick around Laguna and battle rush hour traffic. Same result... nada, zilch, no bass for me!

That old saying... "the worst day fishing is better than the best day working" - simply isn't true for me. When I invest a ton of time into a day of fishing and I don't land any fish, it isn't fun on any level. It's deflating. I have yet to catch a bass this year. I'll give it another go next week, but I'm beginning to think I'm the Chris Davis of bass fishing. Baseball fans will know what I'm talking about... going back to last season - Davis is hitless in his last 53 at bats.

I forget what it feels like to catch a bass. It's been that long.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. fishfanatic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,881
    Boat:
    Fishcat 4 Float tube
    Was in the same boat for a good 6 months fishing several different lakes down here in SD. Then I decided to go start exploring the road less traveled on so to speak and was able to dethrone the skunk. So now I have some almost sure to produce spots to act as a consolation on "those" days. Fishing pressure/c&r does amazing things man.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +34,150
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Meet me in the desert later... Lol

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  4. Troy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,026
    Still better than work IMO lol

5. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,458
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Agreed..... that saying is Bull... S%}+.. hahaha!!! Its about getting bit. Keep at it!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  6. RippinLip619

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +844
    Gotta have bad days in order to have good ones but I understand your frustration, the most I can say is: time on the water, time on the water, time on the water. Keep at it and you are destined to have a good day soon!

#6 RippinLip619, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  7. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,249
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I'm with you there! At least when you are working something is being accomplished. When you are not getting bit you don't even know what you are doing wrong. Are there fish and they are not biting? Am I fishing where there are no fish? I get it.

All I can say is fish fishy water! Bass hang around stuff! Today I meant to cast next to a bush and threw into the bush instead! I sighed in disgust at the thought of getting hung up... then my line jumped and it was fish on! The fish was IN the bush!

8. crawdadguy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +548
    In the end it is about being away from the rat race...enjoying nature and clearing your head

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,878
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    We have all been thru what your going thru. We need to pay our due's. Sorry. I just finish two years of scratching and pounding my head against a wall but I think I have finally got it somewhat figured out. This bass fishin ain't easy not in San Diego county anyways. Do yourself a favor and try something totally different. If you throw big baits , throw small baits. If you throw small baits throw big bait. Try a lure or do something you don't normally do for a day or two and see if you get some results. If not try auto racing or something :) just kidding

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,196
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Good news, Davis got a hit..and you will get a fish! Finesse..dropshot a small robo, you will get bit! Everybody waits for this time of year...and then they remember fishing during the spawn can be a challenge..but it will always get better after the whole making baby fish time! Go get em...they need to feed after the spawning season!

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  11. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,249
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Or something less frustrating... like golf!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,196
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Hilarious..play golf once a week, for the last 40+ years..now shoot 83 instead of 85..frustrating!!! I fish to relieve the frustration of golf..way more relaxing, I've never thrown a rod!!!

13. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,249
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Been a while but the most challenging hole was the windmill! Timing was everything!

14. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,249
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Always driven Chevys?

15. BassRygg

Ratings:
    +174
    Boat:
    Topwater PDL Kayak
    I made a trip to Lake Perris yesterday (Sunday)... thought I'd just add that report to this thread because the theme is the same. Still wearing a huge white stripe down my back. I now answer to Pepe Le Pew.

Was out in my kayak for five hours. Tons of other kayaks and float tubers at the lake. I didn't see anyone catch or talk to anyone who caught a bass. One guy told me there was a tournament there on Saturday and the winner bagged 28 or 30 pounds. Can a tournament really impact a lake that much the next day? I need an excuse of some sort...

I fished a ned rig (for the first time), I threw a drop shot (which I hate to do), and I threw a ton of other stuff... and I could not muster a bite. Chris Davis may have broken his 0-for, but not me. I've been bass fishing for 17 plus years and I've never had a stretch like this. I have made 7 trips in my kayak since I got it at Christmas and I still haven't landed a fish. I've even made a trip to DV in a rental and walked some shores at small lakes. It's the most I've been able to fish in years and the least amount (ZERO) fish I've caught for that much effort and time.

I'm sure the bass are laughing at me. I swear I heard birds chuckling as they flew over me. I'm surprised they didn't try to drop a load on my head to add insult to injury. I think some late night talk show hosts are starting to make fun of me too. I thought about hiring a guide to get me on fish - but they all refused. They all said I'd be bad for their business. Even the fish in the grocery store laugh at me when I walk by. Walked in a pet store and all the fish pressed their noses against the glass to look at me and laugh. Tried to order fish at a restaurant and the waiter - laughed at me. That was really insulting because I don't even like to eat fish.

Oh well. I have a good shot at getting out there again on Thursday. I'd try throwing a stick of dynamite in the water to get some fish, but I'm sure a bass would throw it back in my kayak and blow me up.

Anyone know where I can order some banjo minnows?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,878
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    So what your saying because of YOU nobody caught anything at the lake. Your a Butthead :emoji_wink:

Go to the fly fishing page and look at all the whining I have done lately.

Ok new plan. You got No confidence right now. I'm sure you have used your go to baits and that didn't work. Hey how about talking to the fish. Yep I do that all the time. I swear it helps some times. Talk them to the hook. Tell them they want it and be positive. Go fish the Colorado river or Mitry lake I hear its biting out there. Seriously. If you want some intel just let me know.

Its going to be ok.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. BassRygg

Ratings:
    +174
    Boat:
    Topwater PDL Kayak
    I haven't tried talking to the fish yet... YET. I do pray A LOT. I keep asking the Lord to give me "just a little bit of joy." Apparently, He thinks not catching fish would be fun for me. I'm sure He's teaching me something here... but I haven't figured out what just yet.

18. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,249
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Romans 5:3 ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,249
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    VinnyBass tries that too!

20. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,196
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Try fishing in my koi ponds..they'll eat everything and anything!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List