IV Revenge

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by Bowlmilk, May 7, 2021.

1. Bowlmilk

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +230
    Found myself with a free evening, decided to try another IV run after last times horrible conditions. Paid off big with a Limit in the cooler.

Fished from 530PM to 130AM.

Caught 11 Channel catfish, 1 released.

I ended up having to keep a handful of tiny ones because of gut-hooking. Maybe its my inexperience with the method, but I have a horrible gut-hooking ratio out there. I think out of the 11, 3 were not gut hooked.

Flows were very high and fast compared to last time, had to move a TON to find fishable water. I did have some cut carp but after I caught the first catfish on shrimp, I only used the carp for chum.

~5 of the fish came from a single gate at around midnight to 1AM, where I limited out. Course that's always the question I torture myself with. Did the bite turn on at that time, and the fish were previously turning down my bait, or were they always biting and it just took me that long to find fish-holding water? It drives me crazy, but I will never know I suppose.

20210507_040932.jpg

• Like Like x 18
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +57,496
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    The IV is like that... You won't ever know, but the only help for a slow run is to keep moving, try to approach everything stealthy, get good drifts when you can, and if a bite window opens, take advantage... Fish everything, move often, be stealthy, toss some chum... You know...

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. FishBait

FishBait Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +932
    Nice run out there. Circle hooks.

4. Bowlmilk

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +230
    I have mixed feelings on circle hooks. A few years ago when I was primarily catfishing I tried them out but I don't think I ever hooked up with one. They would mouth it, then drop it and not "set themselves" like they are supposed to, even with no weight. When id try and reel down on them like they said you could, seems like it'd just pop out their mouth without hooking them. Though I did have some success with kahle hooks back then for some reason.

I did use them with success even longer ago fishing deep for rockfish as well.

5. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +57,496
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    When using small baits, circles don't help as much as might be supposed, as the fish can straight up swallow the whole thing, it can help a little, but earlier bite detection is really more key. Experience certainly plays a large role

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,901
    I never use standard circle hooks for catfish but the gamagatsu octopus circles hooks, light wire work really good.

7. Bowlmilk

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +230
    They certainly go for it too. Even when I managed to get a drift with good bait contact and was pretty damn sure I set it almost immediately after they hit it, they still came up gut hooked more often than not. (or resulted in me setting too soon)
    Was thinking about bumping up to a #4 mosquito from a #6 to at least maybe reduce gut-hooking on the tiny ones.

Gamagatsu was actually my go to for circle hooks as well, worked great for rockfish. Another concern I have with them is since I use tiny #6 hooks, and given how circle hooks are designed to work with the point facing the shank, I'm concerned that if a large catfish were to take my bait, it would be unable to fit around the corner of the mouth or lip.