Javalina Hunt

Discussion in 'Hunting & Firearms' started by jus bigguns, Feb 5, 2021.

1. jus bigguns

jus bigguns Troutmaster
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,641
    Boat:
    Nitro
    Hello everybody, Leaving Feb.18th-26th to Wikieup AZ for a Javalina hunt on a private ranch. I have never been so i'm looking forward to a great time. Got tags, License, Trailer, Check. Guy i'm going with has gone 3 yrs in a row with success all 3 years. Shooting a .243. Anybody ever gone?

2. Ggiannig89

Ggiannig89 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170
    Just got my hunting license for the first time this year. Javalina hunting sounds like a lot of fun. Good luck and report back!

3. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,774
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    They are a fun hunt . Bow hunted for them in the early 1980's in the Pedregosa mountains near Chiricahua . The really like the flats and canyons up against the mountain base . The areas we hunted where rugged as the animals are . They can live on what appears to the layman as nothing . .243 is a good choice , should be more than ample specially if you use 100 grain slugs . They do have a raised hair area above the shoulder , aim low enough that you don't just cut hair , the heart sits far lower in the chest than most realize . . Good luck , WR

#3 William Ritchie, Feb 6, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,653
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    WR
    I have read that they taste horrible, anyone find an edible recipe for the meat? I am moving to AZ and this should get on the list of things to do.

5. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,774
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    The ones I have had available for the eating are pretty damn good . Make sure you don't get any of the scent gland squeezins on any of the meat or yourself for that matter , gland in the small of the back comes off with hide but beware . There is no presents of Trichinosis in javelin from what I have read . You can serve with a 145 degree temp , overcooking seems to be a real deal breaker as with most game . Prepare and serve as you would any favorite meat . The tenderloins make nice little medallions , that are very good over Mesquite coals , again no over cooking . Thats my take . WR

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,653
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Awesome!
    I will give it a try, I saw my first one a few weeks back near Elephant Butte but it was a family trip not a hunting trip.
    THX Amigo

7. 5spot

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,202
    The Meat Eater has a good Sonoran hunt episode where he reviewed and experienced how the natives cook them.

They are not that big of an animal. With a .243, you can be a good ways away. I hear getting close is the fun part.

#7 5spot, Feb 16, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +61,838
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Dude.. really? Javs are delicious, they just smell bad, line opaleye and sargo. Nothing to do with the taste of the meat. Due care with the scent glands and skin, just like deer, elk, etc. Not brain surgery, by any means..