Jethro Gibbs Flyfishing?

Discussion in 'General Fishing' started by fisheromen, Oct 13, 2021.

1. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +27,982
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Did any of you catch NCIS on Monday? Did it look like Gibbs knew what the was doing? I'm not a Fly guy but it looked fake to me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,085
    Didn't catch it. Yellowstone is another prime example. The guy in question on that little mini-series (Roarke) has clearly fished before - or taken some excellent pointers before filming. However, they always show him throwing flies into fast current and nowhere near the lanes or spots he should be throwing if he was really trying - or really a true fly fisherman. Plus, he's usually up to his eyeballs with Beth Dutton tearing him a new one for either being in their stream or being a catch and release fisherman. Poor guy. Gets trampled by her and his viewing audience. His only fly fishing saving grace is the fact that he's most always throwing UPstream on camera.. which is a good start.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. skrilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,350
    5qb5r4.jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,650
    I didn’t see it so cannot judge.

Most examples of fly casting I have seen in movies, tv, and commercials have ranged from poor to bad.

The movie “A River Runs Through It” has some good casting sequences. The actors were taught basics but much more intricate and impressive casting in the wide angle shots was done by Jason Borger.

There are some decent fly fishing sequences in “Salmon Fishing in the Yemen” too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. Bird334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,937
    I have been paying close attention to this for awhile and every fishing scene they do everything wrong. Even the guys on Duck Dynasty didn't know how to fish. The TV show on HBO that won on the emmys Mare of Easttown. The big scene at the end the two guys were fishing their lures wrong. Bait casters or spinning reels are always held upside down.

6. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +27,982
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    That's wrong???

upload_2021-10-17_16-52-48.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,391
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    The worst example of non-fisherman actors was a commercial a few years back..they had fly rods held upside down, and they were casting giant red/white bobbers with nightcrawlers...hilarious!

8. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,085
    It's just Hollywood. Have you ever noticed that most of these guys (the men) cant throw a baseball or football the right way? They werent raised like you and I most likely were - playing games with our neighbors like touch football - on the street, phone pole to phone pole. Skinned knees, sliding in the water that was in the gutter, cracking our skulls on the curb, then getting right back up and playing some more. They were coddled as children and hidden behind doors with a plan set for them to pursue Hollywood.

Most of these guys havent had the luxury if you will of learning the beginning life tools that we did during the 60's and 70's. Instead, they're following a script and taking five-minute crash courses on how to throw a football - or in this case, throw a fly line. If nothing else, I can say the guy fly fishing on the Yellowstone set (Roarke) certainly does dress like he's a fly fisherman . Funny thing about gear.. you can spend all the money you want to on the better-name Orvis and Simms gear to try and convince others that you're a great fly fisherman. But unless you can actually fly fish and fly fish the right way, you're just another clown that has the money to fool others, but you still dont have the skills regardless of how hard you try. It's just Hollywood. Its all they've got. Hire the best instructors to offer a day of learning on the water for these guys (Brad Pitt, the Roarke character, etc) and then it's "roll cameras" and hope your viewing audience doesnt know any better either.

9. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,605
    It's still more believable than him building boats... in his basement.

10. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +27,982
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Now you're ruining it!

11. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +27,982
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I guess you did not see the episode where they found a huge hole in the side of his basement! That explains everything!:emoji_rolling_eyes:

12. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,605
    Haha. I haven't watched that show since Ziva and DiNozzo left, but I heard about the hole. He has built more than one boat over the course of the show, so I guess he tunnels his way out each time he finishes one? Stellar writing.

Speaking of dumb writing, I just watched the first episode of the new Dexter reboot. The main character goes deer hunting and spots a nice size buck. He can't bring himself to shoot the deer, so instead he sets his rifle down and walks up the the wild buck... and starts petting it. OH MY!

13. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +27,982
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
  14. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,085
    Whether anyone watches Yellowstone or not, I dont know. Sunday nights' 2-hr new season episode showed Roarke in the water again, standing directly in the middle of Main Street. This time he was throwing DOWN stream. I guess the film crew and whoever else sets up these scenes thinks that few - if any - will notice. I noticed. Bad.. very bad. He might be sporting all the big brand names and coolest looking gear, but he's not a legit high country stream trout fly fisherman. And for me, its all in the eyes.. validity is everything.