jig making

Discussion in 'Lure Making & Customizing' started by bassman22, Mar 17, 2008.

1. bassman22

bassman22 New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    i just ordered all the stuff i need to start pouring my own jigs. when the stuff comes in i'll try and post pics of the finished product when i figure out how to get pics on the new site. i'm really excited and cant wait to catch fish on something i made.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I am just about to start doing the same thing. What kind of jigs are you planning on making? I came across an advertisement showing Scott Rook and saying he has being pouring his own heads and whatnot for many many years. The company was Do-It Molds. They have a great looking site and lots of goodies.

My only real concern is the whole "lead" thing.

3. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +134
    The first time you catch something on the baits you make yourself, you will feel like a rock star.

When I started making Plastic worms, I tried them out first at San V on a very slow day. The fish seemed to be interested, but nothing was commiting to the bait.

One day at Murray I was catching fish left and right with my baits. It was awesome.

Good luck and have fun.

4. Moose

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +106
    WARNING: It is VERY addicting! I have about 60-70 jigheads and spinnerbait skeletons that I poured waiting to be finished. I have to order more stuff to finish them off.

5. Silver Bullet

Silver Bullet Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, what Moose said. As soon as you start the jigs, you will want to make everything. I started with rod building then went to pouring plastics, jigs, skirts, swimbaits, saltwater baits... It never ends. There is nothing better than catching fish on stuff you make. It gives instant confidence knowing you're throwing something the fish have never seen before. Good luck, but don't say we didn't warn you.:)
    Grant

6. Hook1fred

Hook1fred Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Boat:
    Red Ranger
    Yeah I hear ya...i've got to the point where I may have made too many :laugh: I think i'm probably good for a couple years

one of the best purchases i've made is a dropshot weight mold, there is where money is saved

7. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +134
    That would be my favorite mold. Just like my favorite worm mold is a 4" Robo worm style. I've had the best results on those. Even the not so good ones have caught more fish than the actual robos I have.

I'll have some baits at the BBQ.

8. Moose

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +106
    That is my next mold

9. jerkbait

jerkbait Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a idea making lures is fun.Why not spend your time at the lake where you should be.Buy your tackle from your local tackle shop.Time on the water will get you fish not time in the garage.Just a thought.

10. Moose

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +106
    When you have two small kids, it's a hell of a lot easier to take some time in the garage than to take off to the lake. Also, why pay three or four times as much to buy a lure when you can make it for much less, not to mention the satisfaction of catching a fish on one of your own creations. Plus, it's fun. I don't have the option of fishing during the week and rarely can get out other than tournament days, making jigs and spinnerbaits helps me fill my Jones while I'm waiting for the next tournament to roll around. That's why.

11. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +134
    That's why I am on here so much. I can't get out and fish as much as I would like, so coming here allows me to feel like I am right there with everyone.

I hope that soon I'll be ablt to get back into the worm making like I was before. That is so much fun.

12. Hook1fred

Hook1fred Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Boat:
    Red Ranger
    I'm on call for work 20 days out of the month and have to be within 30 minutes of the hospital, doesn't leave many options to wet my line. I enjoy making my lures and gives me more enjoyment when i do have the opportunity to use them out on the water

13. Silver Bullet

Silver Bullet Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think guys that aren't into tacklemaking get how much fun it is to make your own baits and then catch fish with them. You can make your baits softer or harder, floating or sinking, add in glitter, sand, sugar, coffee, and in any color combinatins that you cannot buy in any tacklestore. Which is why they work better. As more people get into it they will see how addicitive and rewarding it is.

14. fester

fester Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have any info on getting the molds, how to do it, etc? I would love to start making my own. Are things like tubes with skirts hard to make? Thanks

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I am in no way affliated with the following company and have yet to order from them, but http://www.do-itmolds.com is a very popular choice.

16. Moose

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +106
    That place or Del-Mart Molds seem to be the popular choices

17. fester

fester Active Member

Ratings:
    +0