Jig Triggers & Calico, Ling, Reds fun.

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by B8DHOOK, Nov 6, 2021.

1. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,246
    That’s impressive ! I lost two jigs to lobster traps on our last trip alone.. ( not paying attention to which way the ropes were drifting in the current below the buoys ). Ughh..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Rick.WY

Rick.WY Member

Ratings:
    +72
    Name:
    Rick W
    Lobster traps that sounds like a jig getter. Now that I said it I am sure my luck will change. Plus compared to where you are working and where I am, my record might be considered cheating. There is not much saltwater in Wyoming. I have been missing SD lately and I am excited to get back there.

#42 Rick.WY, Nov 12, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
  3. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,246
    Well.. you might not have any lobster traps to deal with, but you’re in Gods country. So there’s that.. kinda off topic, but my dad used to fish Flaming Gorge Reservoir out there. Are you anywhere near that ? ( I’ve never been there ). Big Browns from what I was told years ago.

4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +61,833
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Caught a 25" brown there once I think... But the memory that really sticks, was catching a dozen or so carp over 30 lb on those blue crayfish they had under the rocks there. Got a couple smallmouth too, but those carp on 8# test were nuts, especially when you could spot them before they spooked. Super fun, drag peeling action. Bagged my one and only life antelope on a hill above the lake too. Fun times with my uncles and dad...

5. Rick.WY

Rick.WY Member

Ratings:
    +72
    Name:
    Rick W
    I am at Flaming Gorge resort now waiting on my son and grand son to get in. We are fishing the weekend. I might have to update my snagged lure report, we will see how my record holds. Plus if we get into those big lake trout I will want to share those.

I ordered my boat the first of May and it arrived the end of September. This is our second trip meeting together at Flaming Gorge. We know a little more about it this time then last time. The lakers come up from the deep once the surface water gets colder. They like the water around 50 degrees, So we are in the prime time.

I really want to bring the two of them to SD to fish. I plan to spend at least ten days a year there.

6. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,246
    Good stuff.. And good luck to you guys out there. Definitely post up a report from out there and some fish / scenery pictures. I’m also curious as to what you guys use to catch those Lake Trout and or Browns.

7. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,246
    Very cool Werf.. Sounds like a great place with some life long memories. Carp are a blast.. never caught a 30 pounder, but we catch them out at Parker, on the River that average 18-22 lbs. super fun drag rippers.. My dad (with his second wife) and another couple fished Flaming Gorge in early 80s. I still have some of the hand painted Rapalas that he used for trolling for big Browns. I think his biggest was 9 lbs. from Flaming Gorge. He never got the monster he was looking for, but he was into it no the less.

8. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +61,833
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    B8DHOOK , my uncles went there for many years looking for that trophy antelope. I only ever went back for those carp one more time. I guess the burbot and smallies were taking over the lake years back, no idea if those giant carp are there now... It was fun as hell for a young man though

#48 Werfless, Nov 13, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. long rod newell guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +141
    it’s hard to tell sometime the surface can be moving differently than the current below

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List