July 4th mayhem @ Mission Bay

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by EVS, Jul 5, 2020.

1. EVS

EVS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Gotta love it when my significant other comes up with the idea to rent a skiff @ MB. Only problem was Seaforth was all booked on Friday, 7/3/ so I booked a fish-time for Saturday, 7/4. My brother met us in the parking lot and 15 minutes later the three of us are heading out. We decided to make a left as soon as we got passed the Mission Bay bridge and head north toward Sail Bay. It turned out to be a good choice. We started our drift in front of Santa Clara Point and let the wind do all the work, drifting towards Crown Point. Gotta admit, I would never rent a skiff or even launch my kayak to fish on 7/4 but the wife hasn't felt the tug of a spotty in a very long time. We weaved, bobbed & maneuvered during each drift to avoid pretty much everything that floats, including humans swimming. My wife ended up with 14 solid spots with 4 legals. The other 10, though not legal, were fat pigs. I ended up with 7 bass...2 sand, 5 spots, 2 of the 5 legal. My brother brought up the rear end with 5 spots, 2 legal. Thanks bro, for manning the skiff....you did awesome! All in all, not an epic day of slaying but 8 legal bruisers isn't too shabby either. Besides, the best part is my the wife out-fished my brother & I again.....and also caught the biggest fish.....again! July4th_Spotty.jpeg

2. BringThePerch

BringThePerch Active Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Name:
    Travis
    Nice work! Were you rounding the shore or just fishing mid-channel?

Also, my wife has outfished me on Mission Bay 3 days in a row including this morning, I know how that feels haha!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. EVS

EVS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +46
    BringThePerch - ....we did manage to catch fish throughout the drift, even in the middle of Sail Bay, so I'd say up tight along the shore was good and so was the middle section. When my wife went 3 up to my 0 I knew it was gonna be a good day for her!

4. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,025
    Fun was had. Perfect!

5. EVS

EVS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +46
    dj thrillz...this is Ed from Murrieta.....I still have a handful of the OG T&C Swim Grubs. Aquamarine, Black Widow, Leopard Frog, Mackeral & Razor Clam. I'm hanging onto them 'cause I know once they're shredded I may never see those baits again!

6. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,866
    I have a ton of them. Some that Dj Thrills poured and some that I poured. You can have them. They're great lures, but I have more lures than i will ever use. I rather see them get fished than rot in my garage.

I live in Lemon grove. (first let me find them)

7. EVS

EVS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Fishtricks....oh man Fishtricks, that'd be great, even if you only have a hand-ful left! Everytime I pick out baits for the days session I skip the T&C swimgrubs...and my wife is always looking for her favorite color which got shredded the last time she outfished me & my bros.

8. PyroFox79

PyroFox79 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    I went out on my Kayak on the 4th it wasn't worse than a regular Saturday in mission bay. Granted i spent most of my time around Mariners Basin and the entrance channel

9. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,866
    They won't be the colors that you've seen before. I think I know where they are, but I have to go to work right now.

10. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,025
    Hi Ed! That’s awesome.... I wouldn’t say never again, just on a much longer Haitus than expected. The new models won’t say T&C, but they are the same bait. Wish I had a clue when my life will let me do what I want.

#10 dj thrillz, Jul 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  11. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,025
    Good on you Scott!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. EVS

EVS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Fishtricks....no worries on locating the swimgrubs, take your time. I also have this thing called work, normal 1st shift hours. Just the fact that you're gonna take time out of your day to look for 'em is too kind....way cool.

13. EVS

EVS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Yeah Thrillz, every now and then I'll look at the blog page and gaze over all the colors you once had for sale. God willing, I hope you do get to that point in your life where you can get back to 'doing what you want'. Maybe I'll be able to join you at a SP session....if you even have time for that anymore.

14. EVS

EVS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +46
    PyroFox79.....we saw you towards the end of our skiff session.....it was nice and peaceful at that end of the bay compared to Sail Bay and the war zone that is Ski Beach.

15. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,866
    The molds i have are stamped “SIG” which stand for, socal inshore gang

16. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,866
    Kevin, the molds are still yours if you want them, assuming i can find them

17. PyroFox79

Ratings:
    +86
    Was that you on the baby blue skiff? I was the lone yaker in the channel from like 10am to 12pm. Gotta admit I'm a little jealous and kinda want one now. They look really cool.

18. EVS

EVS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +46
    "SIG".....killer!

19. EVS

EVS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Pyro, no, we were in the red Seaforth skiff. My main vessel is an Ocean Kayak Trident 13. Some of those bay skiffs floating around are real sweet.

20. PyroFox79

Ratings:
    +86
    Oh yea later in the afternoon around 4. Yea I think I remember seeing you guys. I was hoping you guys didn't get closer. Lol. But that spot I was in has been producing some decent sized spotties. Caught two about this size.

[​IMG]