Just a few more days! And then a few more...

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by joem83, Aug 18, 2019.

1. joem83

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,361
    Thanks dude! I've always loved fishing since I was a kid (I'd go with my grandpa all the time) but I was only really going trout fishing once per year with my grandpa, cousins, and The Golden Child up in the Stanislaus River. For whatever reason, until early 2017 I just never thought to fish local which I now regret. I think it was a YouTube video I randomly watched that got me fishing in the SD river on my lunch breaks, which turned into unsuccessful attempts at largemouth bass fishing in the lakes, which led me to trout fishing, and then eventually I discovered the magic of the salt. I believe this is the first fish I caught in San Diego.

20170327_113217.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  2. joem83

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,361
    I'm not sure why you'd want to do that, anyway, lol.

3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,444
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Young dumb and... ?.. lol

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. joem83

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,361
    That guy on Chasing Monsters on Netflix hand lined a goliath grouper, that was pretty painful to watch. Couldn't imagine a 1500 lb shark.

5. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,444
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Eh.. I think all my fish over 250 have all been taken with hand line, lol.. nothing to it if you have the right equipment and a young back, lol

6. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,718
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    Great guy. Ray....He used to come down to the IV during the winter and hunt ducks and geese with me.

7. joem83

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,361
    When I was 16 I was sitting in the back seat of a Jeep Cherokee with no seat belt on and the girl who was driving tried to look over her shoulder and check out a boy while simultaneously eating a burrito... right before a turn. We took out a mailbox, a fire hydrant, and then she wrapped that metal beast around a tree. It's been a long time since I've had a good back haha.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,588
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    I haven't talked to him in a hot minute but from when I have I know him as a pretty great guy. Fishy as all hell. Don't know why he went under for a bit.

9. joem83

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,361
    So far so good! Since we're fishing so close the boat parked at the bait barge for the night, so instead of socializing I spent the night fishing. I got a little horn shark, this guitar fish, and I hooked another guitar fish twice as big. It was an awesome drag screaming fight on the Tranx 200 but there were no deck hands out and my line snapped when I tried to boat him. He made several runs and I had an audience cheering me on from the other parked boats. IMG_8368_01.jpg

10. joem83

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,361
  11. joem83

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,361
    Anyone ever use these Caivo jigs? They were dirt cheap. I plan on losing almost all of them to the reef next week lol

IMG_20190904_192341799.jpg

12. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,444
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Look like a rounded off diamond jig eh? Probably work fine if the hardware holds up

13. joem83

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,361
    The hardware seems cheap but that's no surprise for the price. I'm going to replace it all tomorrow after I pick up some inline single hooks.

Our charter is on Monday, I went with this beauty.

mollie1111.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,049
    Absolute beauty. If you’re not already hooked up at grey light, and they’re still trolling / looking for activity, grab a cup of coffee, or beer, a smoke, and climb up the tower for a look see. Towers are awesome, and absolutely beautiful looking out as the sun comes up. My cousin has one on his Grady, and I spend lots of time up there spotting birds / activity, then stomping on the floor when I see something. You can see for miles up there , and the amount of misc jelly fish, and other miscellaneous creatures will surprise you in clear blue deep water. Polarized lenses if you don’t already have them. Good luck man, I’m jealous...

15. joem83

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,361
    That's an awesome tip man, I really appreciate it. I'm beyond pumped for the trip since I rarely get to do stuff like this. I'm going to hide behind The Golden Child™ when we tell our mom that we put $1300 on her credit card, lol.

16. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +643
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Good read here!
    They do things a little different over there like leave the boat moving when you hook up on the troll. They also usually keep the fish that are caught. Hawaiians are slow to like tourists but great if you show a lot of respect and break through. I just spent 5 weeks working a job on Oahu this summer and when your in your treated like family! you should find Ahi. Mahi Mahi, or ONO
    Aloha

17. joem83

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,361
    The surf has been pretty wild, our charter got pushed back to Wednesday when the wind should be better. I tried making a few casts today off the rocks by our condo but it was way too wild to accomplish much. I saw a big wave coming in, took a big splash and decided to wait until the conditions were better lol.

One of my rods got dinged during shipping and the guide at the tip got bent up enough to make the insert come loose. I did a pretty thorough job of sandwiching each rod in between strips of pool noodle foam and making sure they were secure in the shipping tube, so I'm guessing it happened during the TSA inspection; they cut open one end and resealed it with the TSA tape. Cheap to repair I'm sure, but it bugs me nonetheless.

18. joem83

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,361
    The charter was awesome in spite of the fishing being slow. We chased birds for a while and got a couple skippies, then a little later my brother got a blue marlin! So stoked for him. It wasn't a monster, the fight was only about 7 minutes long but he got worked for sure. When the deckhand was pulling it up by the leader the hook popped out; easy release.

We spent another 3 hours just trolling for nothing. The captain called it for the day and we started heading back to the harbor. While they were reeling in the rods...........................................

BOOM.

IMG_20190911_120716910_HDR.jpg

Happy happy happy.

19. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,444
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Very nice.. beautiful fish

20. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +643
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Now go get that snorkel on and check out all the vegetarian fish in the reefs. Most of the inshore reef fish don't chase lures,(Omilu and Ulua do though) which is why you want to also get a Hawaiian sling and make em eat steel! Manini are easy to shoot and delicious to eat. (over 5" on the Manini)