Just Part of the Zoo...

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Creek, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,907
    Yep.. I did it again. I became and active participant in yesterdays' public zoo known as July 4th.

My pal Chris had texted me the evening before saying lets go fishing. All I could think was "what a major mistake this is going to be." So I texted back.. "Okay, lets get there at 6am so we beat the throng of firework seekers?"

Agreed to meet at a place I've had so much success at my last two solo outings. I was first to round the corner, only to see a completely full parking lot and nothing but wall-to-wall portable Costco shade tents from end to end. Unbelievable. Actually, that's not true.. it was perfectly believable.. and I knew I should never have even wasted the gas it cost me. Got on the cellphone and called Chris.. "Where you at? Doesnt matter.. wherever you are, stop. Turn around and lets head for Spanish Landing." Okay.

Got to Spanish and were met with pretty much the same thing. But there we found spaces to park. People were everywhere, but no one was in the water... yet. So in we go. We got in and started pulling flies. I got hit right away, but lost it in the grass. That hit, in addition to the other five hits I took (four of which resulted in smallish Spotties) were the only hits I took the entire 2.5 hr session. We just kinda threw-up our hands and called it quits. No idea what was going on.

Note to self... Stop fishing on holidays and summer weekends. Its a waste of time.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,066
    Surf has been pretty meh for me as well.
    Nice holes and rips for nada. 1hr sessions are building up my stepcount more than honing my filleting skills.

Is it next week yet ?

#2 Chriwilson, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  3. Baja_Traveler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +825
    LOL - I did almost exactly the same thing! Dropped into tidelands at 5:30 am to gridlock backed up onto the bridge. Just drove by and turned around to head to Shelter Island. Same crowd there at 6am with side by side tents on the beach. I just went home after that.

4. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,907
    And that's where I started both Wednesday and Thursday... Shelter Island. The people that were there Wednesday had already set-up all their shades and stuff (still not sure how they got by doing that.. they had to stay over somewhere. Cant believe HPD would allow that to happen). I bailed Wednesday without even getting out of the truck because the wind was horrendous.. Drove home to Mission Valley - where naturally there was ZERO wind blowing. I was so bitter.

5. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,648
    Boat:
    Tube
    Tried fishing last fourth of July... 2 bites, one fish, hell of a sunburn and 4 hours of traffic. Good times, heinous fishing. Lesson learned.

6. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,016
    Last year I fished Mission Beach early in the morning. Called it quits by 7am and there was a line of cars waiting to get into the parking lot. People fought for my spot. Never again.

7. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,907
    Was thinking about going out in the morning (hoping everyone had left town by this afternoon, of course). But still on the fence.. I'm not sure I want to waste the gas on finding out the entire bay is a mud bath due to all the boat/jet ski traffic that has churned up the bottom.