Kayak essential gear

Discussion in 'Kayak and Paddle Board Fishing' started by old_rookie, May 10, 2017.

1. Ram-Rod

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,807
    *shiet gets real when u realize the can was too small

2. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,921
    What are you all wearing for rain gear, especially pants. paddlers and peddlers? Ideally I would have something tough and good for hiking and fishing on land too. Budget is fairly decent but not $1000 dry suit decent.

How about light wetsuit pieces under clothing? Is that done much?

3. RolloTomasi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,341
    Name:
    c
    Boat:
    Nice tube and yak
    1. Thin layers for warmth;
    2. Thin layers also help with temperature management (removing one thin layer changes temperature only a bit, whereas removing one thick layer changes one from too hot to too cold;
    3. Modern manmade materials dry faster than natural fibers though breathability sometimes suffers;
    4. Outer waterproof layer: used eBay is your friend. My stunning Curious George-yellow windbreaker/rain jacket was inexpensive. Once I get the matching hat, watch out, llllllladies.

#63 RolloTomasi, Nov 8, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,921

Good Will Hunting isn't just a movie. My son gave me the Idea of water proof mountain bike pants, worth a try for peddling the Kayak, yep, found them on Ebay.

5. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,538
    I hate the cold and get cold easily. When I first started on the kayak and got waterproof pants and spent some $$. About 2 yrs? or so my feet would get wet. Then changed to waders. But the bib design made it a challenge to take care of the occasional business. Then I had a friend who does sewing stuff modify them so that they had a belt with loops and no bib top. Worked for a while then my feet would get wet. Last season fall I bought wet-suit pants - just the pants. Figure that would work for the winter for both surf fishing or being on the kayak. Some life event happened and never used them - then COVID happened. By the time I got to the water on the kayak again it was warm and I just wore nylon warm-up pants. Have been using them for a while - seems to work -but it hasn't been cold enough to see if they'll do the job for me. Anyway, if that's more than you want to know...well... too late now.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,921
    Old rookie, Being comfortable makes the day. Thanks for your comments, Glad to rule out waders. When I first started thinking about cold season kayak clothes, wetsuit by pieces seemed like a good idea for base layers, Vest, triatlon bottom and boots. I have several different lengths of "wetsocks" and a pair of "wet boots' and I like those things. Anyway , then I could just wear the pieces I thought the weather and fishing situation demanded as a base, like you mention , shore or Kayak and other things like rain or just cold or fear of falling in the cold water. I think 2MM to 3MM is generally recommended for our climate, WIth a pair of over the calf wetsocks and boots I have 6mm in two layers around the feet and it fishes really well pedaling(I've tested that much). Got the boots on NRS
    NRS Men's Paddle Wetshoes | NRS
    THe socks, The price seems to have gone up!
    NRS Boundary Socks with HydroCuff | NRS

#66 Everydog, Nov 8, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  7. citruspirate

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,149
    Name:
    Michael/Mike
    I'm a runner and my cold weather running tights kept me warm during my long winter training runs while I still lived back east. Should probably do fine in a yak.

8. tjthegreat1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,111
    Name:
    Tyler
    Boat:
    Hobie Revolution
    Has anyone here have experience waxing natural cloth? Like waxed jeans, flannel, etc. my leather boots bead water right off when im on the jetty but my pant legs always get soaked. Waxing jeans might be a good way to salvage an old pair for purpose. Idk how comfy that would be on a yak though.

9. RolloTomasi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,341
    Name:
    c
    Boat:
    Nice tube and yak
    You might experience a little Icarus and Dedalus action in the sun.

10. tjthegreat1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,111
    Name:
    Tyler
    Boat:
    Hobie Revolution
    I love the reference! Great food for thought.

11. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +63,328
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
  12. tjthegreat1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,111
    Name:
    Tyler
    Boat:
    Hobie Revolution
  13. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,921
    I don't know if they are mentioned in the thread and I know for sure they won't be universally considered essential , but I got some stabilizers.

I am just too uncomfortable with the idea of flipping in the winter or going out in open ocean. I want to fish San Vee but wouldn't go due to this discomfort including the remembrance of the man who drowned out there.

A few weeks ago I flipped my kayak at the dock trying to put the milk crate on the dock without tying up well first. The boat moved away from the dock and I was over extended. Stupid move, but I realized how easily I could do something stupid again or have some other mishap at a worse time and place.

I took them out in Otay, where they really probably aren't essential yesterday, They are very nice, game changer for standing up, I have a huge kayak but I'm 6'5" nearing 60. Makes a huge difference for flipping tulles. It did get windy for a while and some of the bass boats make some narly waves.

For safety:

*less chance of going in in the first place.
    *easier getting back in if I fall out , which I could still do tripping over my own feet.
    *better platform if I ever needed to make a rescue.
    *2 addditional flotation devices if things ever got really bad for someone.

14. TheKayakLaunch

TheKayakLaunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback
    Love #2. I just wrote an article on the subject VHF Radio