Kayaking Murray 9/18/22

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by CorsoEnthusiast, Sep 20, 2022.

1. CorsoEnthusiast

CorsoEnthusiast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377
    Name:
    Jeremy
    3292A4AB-D72A-4375-AAE3-6B77DC2B1DDB.jpeg Decided to take the Kayak for its first Murray trip on Sunday afternoon. It was a beautiful day out and I figured I needed to get on the water. I waited for the first round of football games to end and then headed out.

This being only my 3rd time out in the Kayak, I am still learning a bunch on every trip. The biggest challenge is dealing with drift! Trying to focus on a specific area while not staying put is a challenge - I ended up sort of pedaling back into place and drifting past the same spot multiple times. I am pretty sure in March when bonus time comes I am going to upgrade to the Autopilot for that spot lock trolling motor! Lol

I worked a few spots - had a couple fish bite my dropshot weight (seems to happen once every trip). Had one fish about 2-5-3lbs bite the S Waver and throw the bait when he jumped. Finally managed to boat one on the DS just before 5pm. Not a big guy but dink > skunk any day!

I really love fishing out of the Kayak. Still learning it’s challenges but I am catching a few fish and having a great time, and I know every trip the learning curve gets easier and easier.

On a side note, when I was pedaling back to the dock at day’s end, the crank arm bolt on the left side of my pedal drive backed out and fell through one of the scupper holes on the Kayak - so I’ve got to visit a few hardware stores and maybe West Marine this week before I can head out again.
    FCC92C1F-959F-4E88-8EC7-5DDB7284E2C4.jpeg

2. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,570
    I just started using a cloth grocery bag as a driftsock and it worked well to slow my drift. It cost me literally nothing and only took a few minutes to make, so something to consider.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
    • List
  3. CorsoEnthusiast

Ratings:
    +377
    Name:
    Jeremy
    Thanks! Wasn’t familiar with the idea of a drift sock before - did a little research and this seems like it will be a big help!

4. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,086
    It's fun to fish out of a kayak and glad to see you are having fun out there. After a number of trips in your kayak you will see what works best for you. I have an anchor, but really never use it(it has been in my garage about 99% of the time).
    Most of the time I am closer to shore or along the weed line or close to the stick-ups and just rely on my pedal drive to help me maneuver in and out of spots. If bass are busting I just cruise around to get closer to where they are. It is not hard to work a point in the morning but it does become a challenge when the wind comes up. Unless you have spot lock or a big anchor....it is hard to keep a kayak in one spot. Best thing is to fish early before the winds kick in and then deal with the wind. I do a heck of a lot of pedaling to try keep my PA12 in a spot or working a point etc when the winds come up. It is all just part of the game of fishing in a kayak. Spot lock(even though it is costly) does seem to be the answer for many guys out there. Thanks for sharing and tight lines:)

#4 VinnyBass, Sep 20, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,104
    I notice that a snag will hold up to pretty good wind. I have used that in a pinch. Sometimes if I am snagged I just wedge that rod somewhere and fish with a different one. Making the best of a bad situation.

Actually have thought of taking a rod and reel just for deliberate snagging and letting out line to fish a bank, row of bushes, or a long rock pile. Sometimes at Barrett in the afternoon, you need all the help you get.

6. bendopolo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,120
    I carry 40 feet of 1/2 inch braided Rope tied to 2 feet of Chain. I let out to the bottom and it holds enough, without snagging up. I often catch Fish by Droppshotting where my Chain has stirred up the bottom. This works in the morning calm and not so much in the wind. It is just easier than anchoring.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,264
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    A snag as an anchor..genius!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. ol dirty basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +338
    How do you know the fish bit your weight? Did you see them?

9. NibbleSquad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,673
    It happens all the time at murray. The only lake where i've caught bass from my dropshot weight threading through their gill plates. Must be a lot of gobies or something there that triggers that specific bite.

10. CorsoEnthusiast

Ratings:
    +377
    Name:
    Jeremy
    When I get a “bite” drop shotting and have a fish on the end of the line for a few seconds - and I reel in and my bait is untouched, it’s usually a pretty safe bet the fish bit the weight on the bottom rather than the actual bait itself. If I get that more than once it’s either time to shorten the leader on my dropshot weight considerably or switch to a t rig.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  11. CorsoEnthusiast

Ratings:
    +377
    Name:
    Jeremy
    Had it happen at Miramar recently too but similar conditions to Murray.

12. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,653
    great report, good job.

13. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,653
    great report, good job.

14. CorsoEnthusiast

Ratings:
    +377
    Name:
    Jeremy
    Just throwing this in here in case it’ll help someone: if you need a hard to find kayak part (like a crank arm bolt for a pedal drive unit), topkayaker.com is a great resource. Called Wilderness Systems directly after I struck out calling West Marine, Kayak Fishing Supplies and Redline and they recommended that site - which had the exact part I needed. Gonna have to shore pound this weekend while I wait for it to arrive but glad I was able to find one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List