Keep a limit?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by jack wroncy, Apr 30, 2021.

1. jack wroncy

jack wroncy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +32
    Boat:
    no
    Catch and release having its drawbacks

9CAE93E6-5464-46DA-84C7-B70B6DF8C6E5.jpeg

6403DCE7-4DEF-40DD-ADFE-CDE7F5E15BD3.jpeg . What do you think?

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  2. thegman

thegman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +263
    Name:
    Greg Miller
    Guessing this is Otay those fish are really thin.

3. Nick Arevalo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,017
    Boat:
    None
    Yep, I've caught fish like that too. Either they're ill or just can't get enough food.

Screenshot_20210430-143759_Photos.jpg

4. Bass Kid

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +793
    Or they just spawned and are burnt out. Either way, its good to keep some small fish every once and a while. Bring a few home here and there!

#4 Bass Kid, Apr 30, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. jack wroncy

Ratings:
    +32
    Boat:
    no
    Miramar deep in the reeds that’s why he’s so black

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. thegman

thegman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +263
    Name:
    Greg Miller
    Caught last month Otay over 19 inches long big head no body was under 3lbs

Screenshot_20210430-162017.jpg

7. jack wroncy

Ratings:
    +32
    Boat:
    no
    Feel like a lot people are blind to what’s going on in the lakes and are quick to make someone feel bad about keeping a limit seen it happen the other day

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +57,496
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Well.. over and over I hear guys whinge about trout trout trout... .. trout don't turn 5 lb bass into 14's... the level of harvest in the big bass days would be unthinkable now... I hear also, words like "god" and "nature" tossed around a lot, two concepts that have not one thing to do with the reason there are bass in our local reservoirs. In lakes managed for giant bass, harvest rates of up to 35% annually are apparently recommended if the body of water has highly successful spawns typically. Hell, four of the five greatest big bass fisheries on earth have heavy gillnetting operations, with the fifth heavily harvested a couple times a year... That's alright I guess, when the FCF show up (and they will, they are coming, lake by lake), final nails may well get driven...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,348
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    757A9F57-32F5-489C-86C5-C75E0F34C82E.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,777
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    But I believe one day the gill-netting will one day wipe out the Mexican fisheries. They don't regulate anything well down there.. especially if the Cartel wants a piece! I'm not sure how often our lakes have successful spawns with all the screwing around with the water levels every year! I really think every lake needs to be looked at individually! Some lakes have a boatload of shad, some seem to have no forage at all! Some are stuffed full of bass, some are a desert! Sadly, it doesn't really seem like we have much fisheries management at all!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  11. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,627
    Not arguing against taking fish , but where I have seen fish that weak they are the exception to the rule. Are any of the lakes in our county full of them? Not just small but terribly disproportioned? When I took bass home in the spring it was frightening how much plastic they had in their guts. I don't know if they can live and get that out , or if they become the fish featured in this thread.....and I probably shouldn't ask.

I don't really want them but now and then and only take one in the winter. Sometimes I give one or two to people who want to eat one and aren't catching too many.

12. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,123
    Boat:
    SR-18
    Ok... Riddle me this...Tell me how to get around overwhelming voluntary C&R with bass. Tell me what management “tools” to use when nearly ALL fisheries/wildlife management and regulations are predicated upon take/harvest.

Seasons of when you can kill stuff. Limited entry (tags) to kill stuff. Size and quantity of what you can kill. If no one kills stuff the tools are worthless.

How come hunters (“conservationists”) understand their killing of deer helps maintain healthy herds? How come bass fishermen (“conservationists”) don’t. It’s incredulous and baffling.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  13. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +57,496
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    The gill netting in Picachos is worth at least a couple grand a week for most bass anglers to fish next to, for what that's worth.. keep in mind, these LMB in question, as well as the tilapia and sunfish they are largely preying on, assumedly, are all environmentally invasive pests which can overpopulate almost instantly and completely decimate any native species.. just a couple pairs of bass can produce enough young to stunt out in a smaller lake within just a couple years.. the fecundity of bass and sunfish is truly incredible... Considering that LMB can reproduce at 8-9", and can reach maturity well within one year of age, any gill net that a nine inch bass can squeeze through isn't going to really do too much to the future of the bass fishery. Then any bass that get large enough not get caught in the nets starts to use them to pin bait against (common theme at Picachos and Salto), and there you have the recipe for a trophy fishery. Of course newer lakes can grow bigger bass (higher carbon availability?), but out lakes could cough up WAY more bass of larger sizes with a bit of harvest, something every fisheries expert willing to chime in on the matter has said across the board...

14. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,208
    Yes and no.
    Yup, the inconsistent water levels hurt the spawn; but if that did not occur there would be so many half pound bass in every single lake that I could walk across the lake on their backs.
    Some water tanks have few forage fish...because there are too many bass eating 'em.
    In reality, I don't think too many freshwater fishermen like to eat fish...or clean fish. Look how many stringers of dead trout you see in trash cans at Cuyamaca. Every single time I have been there I have seen whole trout in the trash can.
    As for the eventual failure of the trophy bass operations in Mexico....hasn't the netting been going on for fifty years or so? Probably longer...since before there WERE trophy bass fishing industries.
    Here's an idea for managing bass numbers here.
    Offer an incentive for the removal of bass from waters that have too many. Show the five dead bass that you are taking home to eat, and get a free one day permit so you can return to that lake.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  15. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,362
    Throw it on the bank with the carp.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  16. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +57,496
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Glwt... Hahaha

17. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,975
    Unfortunately its just all messaging. And people who aren't willing to research into things beyond what they think they know is right. Heck, convincing people to not go aggro on someone for taking a limit. Or even just one.

18. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,627
    Industry wants average joe to be able to catch fish and tournament pro guy to be able to catch several on TV. Population over quality ..... As Azimport says , messaging, who controls it?

19. Ken roe

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +339
    Once holding capacity is surpassed, in a water or a land environment, all the animals begin to suffer & many starve.
    Reducing the #'s thru some catch & keep or hunting can bring the population down to where the environment can support healthy animal populations.

20. William Campbell

William Campbell Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +405
    Next time you catch one like this open it up. Often these skinny bass have ingested lots of plastic worms.