Kelp Crazy Sunday

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by SeaSick, Mar 9, 2008.

1. SeaSick

SeaSick Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know how I caught any fish today. The fish gods really tried to keep me off the water.
    So daylight savings screwed me up this morning, and I'm already late before I get up. When we finally launched at Dana bound for La Jolla, it seemed like we'd be okay after all. But then we start having engine trouble, at full throttle we had about half power. Turned out it was only a loose spark plug wire, so we're okay.
    Finally we get to the kelp, and again things seemed to be looking up. My Sister has never been to the kelp with us but she hooked up within 10 min.
    P3090080.jpg

Then Bryan gets one soon after. Her glory, and our good luck was short lived, though. No fish for another hour, and she's getting seasick. She convinces me to go back to the bay and fish, but when we get there she wants off the boat. So I leave Byran in the water with the boat and drive my sister to her car, drop her off, then come back.
    When I get back to the boat, we decide that we have just enough time to hit the north end of the pl kelp. Then I finally get a bite!
    P3090081.jpg

She hit on the fall at about 20' down.
    Then another!
    P3090082.jpg

This one surprised me, took the tjw right underneath the boat as I was retrieving.
    Other than that, the fishing was slow. In some places the water was so brown it looked muddy, what the heck is that?
    One last sucker punch; we pack it in at about 1pm, and as we come into MB, these two guys flag us down. They've broke down. They have no motor, no radio, no cell phone and no towing service (like they could contact them anyway). I got stranded once so I was sympathetic and offered to help. I don't have anything for, or a clue about towing, but we tried anyway. It was pretty sketchy, I thought for sure that the little cleat we used to tie them on would break free. They told us they had been anchored for about an hour waiving at people, and we were the first to stop. I spotted a police boat coming at us and I thought he'd be interested in helping too, but if I hadn't beeped my horn he wouldn't have even noticed. He told us there was nothing he could do and pretty much left us on our own. I bet if I was towing a car on the street with a ski rope tied to his grill and my roof luggage rack, I'd get arrested, but its cool on a boat. Whatever.

PS
    Thank you, Scott for getting all those jetty worms to me so quickly, I appreciate it buddy! Worked like a charm.

2. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +134
    Great report man. I want to get out to the kelp beds so badly. I wonder why those guys were out in a boat with nothing to get them back in?

3. SeaSick

SeaSick Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    They broke down while fishing. I think I left that part out.

4. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +134
    I saw the part where you said No Motor and I thought did they row out there?

5. addicted angler

addicted angler Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    good fish, hope next weekend proves better

6. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,989
    Very glad to hear you guys enjoyed the lures.

Wishing I was fishing. Thanks for the report.

7. crawdadguy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +641
    a $6 pack of bonine would have saved you $30 in gas and time

glad the repair was easy