La Bufadora 7/6

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by Redjim, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Redjim

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,108
    Left San Diego and entered through San Ysidro. South via toll roads to the hotel on the hill that is La Bufadors hotel. We met with the woman whom was working there and dropped off the gear, securing our room for the evening. About a mile back headed north is Sharkey's where we had a delicious meal, attached to there in the back is the fishing boat headquarters. The Pangas were pulled in and on trailers with trucks. We ended up hanging out and talking with a few captains for a bit, then back to the hotel. Played with tackle and before the lights went out we were all set to grab our gear and head out. 0500 we arrived and parked our car, jumping in the panga and being driven down to the water about a mile and a half away. We set out west in search of pelagics. 4 hours of slow trolling with cedar plug

FB_IMG_1594658747829.jpg

20200712_172253.jpg

FB_IMG_1594705071065.jpg

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +48,873
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Hell yeah.. great work dude

3. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,534
    Name:
    Kyle
    Nice looking rockfish there!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Redjim

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,108
    Had a bunch of stuff written up but typing up posts in this forum drive me effing nuts. Enough of that. Long story short from where the post left off-> cedar plug 10 yards astern off the starboard corner and an assortment of deep divers 100 yards back throughout the course of the day off the port corner. We saw 2 yellows under a bird early in the am, and two yellows and a dorado on a paddy. Nothing would eat so we made the run to the rockfish grounds. 12 oz weights would have left probably 600 feet of line in the water had the captain not jogged the boat to keep us up and down, we fished between 350 and 400 feet. Big reds, a few bank perch, one boccaccio and two lings were what he ended up with. The first drop I used my quantum 300 monster full of 40 pound spectra and 30 pound topshot on a shimano sojourn 8 ft 20-50. Small diameter spool along with standard paddle handle had me putting it down in favor of my Avet HXW Raptor on the M and M 7 ft 50-130, just topshotted 4 ft of 60 pound to the 100 mono and down it went. My friend had a fathom 15 2 speed and it was the ticket. Off to fish calico's. Scooted over to the weather side of the big island Todos Santos, two or three spots found us with small to decent sized fish upto 3 pounds. I used a Nomad Madscad and YoZuri minnow, firing into boiler rocks and working back overtop of shallows with rock and kelp. We drove through the middlegrounds and came to a Jurrasic Park looking scenario. I tied on a weedless 9 inch swimbait and fired into the froth. Bounced off a craggy rockface as the wave broke, letting it roll and tumble. I gave a single twitch and it got heavy, turned the handle and it started head shaking and trying to go into the cracks of the rocks. Turned his head and over the rail came 5 or six pounds of checkerboard happiness. My buddy got a slightly better grade at the same spot. I had a great time and will definitely be back down there again. Thanks for reading, tight lines.

5. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +48,873
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Beautiful fish dude.. nice work

6. gordon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +362
    Hey can we drive down there right now? I have been delaying a trip to the same spot because i thought border was closed!!! please someone lmk THANKS

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. GorDog

GorDog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +56
    Mara's Sports fishing gets a thumbs up from me too

8. GorDog

GorDog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +56
    My sons first fish on Plastics :)
    he is hooked on fishing.. we are going again this Sunday

KEvin Bass.jpg

9. Redjim

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,108
    We had zero issues but I would suggest you stay in contact with whomever you are going out with down south. Tight lines

10. GorDog

GorDog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +56
    It is hit and miss; The border is open.. if you are an American .. you can cross and no issues coming into Mexico (yet) and leaving.. if you are American .. they dont say ****. I live in Tijuana and cross often.

The lines suck .. the closure has made wait times long.. depending on time of day.

As for getting to Ensenada and around to La Bufadora

two weeks ago we drove through the check point at 4am and no issues they didn't even bother to get out of the truck
    The check point is just after the last toll booth as you roll into Ensenada

on way home at 6pm.. they were stopping cars and asking. Not sure if anyone is getting turned around.
    I think they are just taking temps and asking questions and screening. but .. things change.
    Heard a few going to Bay of L.A. .. 2 trucks went through. and 1 other turned around. go figure

if your Panga is leaving at 5am.. and rolling through Ensenada at 4am.. I'd go. We are going again Sunday

11. Redjim

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,108
    Tight lines