LA Carping Advice?

Discussion in 'Carp' started by MattL, Apr 9, 2019.

1. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,289
    Name:
    MattL
    Moved into a place in Los Angeles yesterday. I know that there's supposed to be good carping around here but have no experience with it. I live down the street from the lake where a guy caught a 50 pounder.

I'm mostly interested in the LA river. There's apparently a section of it with good fly fishing.

Anyone have experience up here? Recommendations? Am I going to get stabbed?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,007
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    There are certainly a great many carp in the LAR.. several other places around LA and OC..
    Fishing with Stones

3. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,581
    While not related to carp, you should be near some decent Stripped bass fishing from the surf.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. Midnightpass

Midnightpass Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +248
    There are some guys around that do fish the LA, San Gabriel and Santa Anna Rivers with flys... I have only baitfished for them in the Santa Anna, around Yorba Linda... Got a few.... And I didn't get stabbed:emoji_wink:... My Grand Son fishes the SG quit a bit as well as some local pond, sometimes with flies...

Butch

5. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,007
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Santa Ana river has some great fish.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,028
    Attwater park. Look up Lino Jubliado on Instagram. He'll guide you for free

7. 123xyz

123xyz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315
  8. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,028
    A more in depth response...

Park at North Attwater park and head north. The half mile section between Colorado and the "end" where it flattens out is the best. Directly downstream of the concrete flat are deeper pools where they congregate. They swim upstream through the deeper trenches (3-4 ft) sucking up food as they move along. You might be able to see them if the light is right. If not, cast upstream into the trench and drag your fly on the bottom through it, at the same speed of the current. Keep your line taught, and watch
    the tip of your line. If there's any movement forward, set the hook. You can also use an indicator, but others will judge you. I like using a 5-6 ft leader to keep the slack out of my line. Have caught many carp on 6lb test, but lost a few bigger ones so now I use 8. You'll need heavy flies in the current, with at least small lead dumbbell eyes. Locomocos and mopflies are the most widely used.

You can have success from the bank, but you'll obviously increase your chances if you wade. Most of the carp are in the middle of the river, along the banks of the middle islands. They move to the west bank in the afternoon to hide in the shade of the trees. Some anglers wet wade. Yuck.

They're spawning right now, so nows a golden time. They'll be exhausted and hungry in the afternoon.

Lino's a great guy. He lives close, so practically fishes it everyday. He just caught an 18 lber, probably one of the largest in there (they don't get bigger than 20 lbs). I constantly see him fishing with first-timers out there, so give him a ring.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  9. Fishingnoob619

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +405
    Echo park has carp.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Kesepton

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +434
    I fish much heavier gear than is mentioned here in the LAR when I have targeted carp. They are not line shy and you will catch a lot of smaller ones if you do not go big. I am talking 15# leader and a Big golf ball or slightly smaller sized piece of bread for me. Make sure your hook point is exposed and your breadball isnt too tightly packed that you cant pull the hook out when setting it. You want moving water, cast upstream and watch your line/bait drift by. If it stops make a swing. If nothing else, your bread will entice others to the party. I have had a LOT more luck in the later morning/closer to noon than the traditional mornings we use at the lakes. I have not found them to be too shy either. Be careful of the homeless and be aware of your surroundings. I haven't had any issues but there are a lot around.

We fish Glendale blvd bridge. There is free parking and easy access there. I think this is pretty much the same area that neuroshima is talking about just different parking area.

Actually just noticed youre talking about fly fishing. I don't have experience with what type of baits they are using but I have seen others around throwing corn/plant imitations.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  11. mattgulptosser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,579
    Any particular pointers on that? How much farther north would someone have to go for it to be consistent?

12. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Now that I do not know, a lot of people that fish for them in the surf are pretty secretive with their times, dates, locations and the like. A good place to start would be this forum: SC Surf Fishing - Forums

13. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,289
    Name:
    MattL
    Belated thanks for all your responses.