La Jolla Fly Tossing

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Tomaso, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Tomaso

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,072
    Decided to check out the ocean for a change, and hit La Jolla with Craig yesterday. Had a fun outing, and managed to bring a few over the rail.

Launched at Dana and headed north. Swell wasn't as bad as I expected, and had a fairly smooth ride. Checked out the congregation of boats at the point, to no avail. Then got into some nice sized mackerel and some barracuda just outside the kelp a bit to the south. Mackerel were in the 1.5-2 pound range, and plenty of fun on a flyrod. Seemed to be pretty localized though, and never saw any birds working the whole day.

Decided to concentrate on calicos for a while. Never did great on the fly, partly due to the wind and chop (the other part due to my casting). I picked up about a half dozen on the jetty fly, but the highlight was Craig getting a nice calico on a Gurgler! Pretty cool, seeing a big checker blast out of the kelp and hit a surface popper.

We also managed about 20-25 calico on TJWs, including one Craig got that I think weighed 5.5# on the boga.

On the water around 07:45, off about 4:00. Water temps were 63-65, and a pretty steady breeze all day. I didn't get any pics on my camera; maybe Craig will post up something. A great day to be out.

Tom

2. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,949
    The calico on the gurgler was the highlight of the data. The fish came like a rocket from under a kelp strand about 30 feet from fly and just hammered it.

A few months ago I purchased the new Sage Largemouth Bass rod. This 7'11 rod that comes with a special line is wonderful for casting bulky bugs. I had no trouble laying out a 5" long gurgle 60' or more and usually on target even in the swell and the wind.

craigmack.jpg

craigncalico.jpg

3. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,989
    Cool 3D pics.

Send me the jig fish picture for the gallery link.

4. atpjunkie

atpjunkie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Nice Checker
    I got into some mackies at Pukey a few weeks back that were bigger than bay size Bonito
    biggest was well over 20"

looks like a fun day anyhow despite the wind

tricks I got lotsa jetty fly Cal pix if you need them

5. waturner3

waturner3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +67
    Good to hear a report. Chunky mack and nice topwater calico. Good numbers too!

6. Joel

Joel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64
    Sweet - what size rod are you using?

7. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,949
    For Macs, Bonito, and 'Cuda I use an 8wt rigged with a fast sinking shooting head.

For calicos around structure I usually use a 9wt with a leadcore or tungsten shooting head. Less tiring than a 10 to cast all day, and still enough muscle in the butt section to lever fish away from cover.

For topwater, I use my Sage Largemouth Bass rod, which comes with a special flyline with a very agressive weight forward taper. This combos is great at tossing bulky bugs. A 9 or 10 wt with a floating salwtater, bass, or pike taper is also good for surface work.

Anything 8wt to 10wt is good for local inshore.