La Jolla Kelp - 9/13/18 - PM

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by geofish, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Daddo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,387
    which one?

2. tdmorrison03

tdmorrison03 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51
    That’s an effective but painful strategy but I always was told to never do it on someone’s finger like it shows in the diagram.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,444
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    No good for the finger, Daddo .. no one works great for one in the arm... Finger, I prefer a push through and clip or mash..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,419
    Me too!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,152
    So you didn’t answer, what that rusty hook was doing on your boat, sounds like the captain or crew not cleaning up and doing their job? HehHeh

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Rokbury14

Rokbury14 I never have to feel like that again
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,213
    Name:
    Steve
    Don't let Geo kid you... he's a bona fide tough guy. The next day he won three wrestling matches in the morning than tossed 6 shut out innings in the evening....not to mention bowling a 260 in between. My man.....

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  7. 619Angler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +105
    Ouch. That hurts to look at!. Hope u feeling better.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  8. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,419
    LOL That’s because I could do all that with just my good arm!

I had a day of rest but was back at it again the day after that.................This Fishing, it be addicting......

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,419
    You obviously fish fresh water more than salt???? Or perhaps you have never seen a saltwater lure that has been used non-stop for 3 months, 3X a week probably through 300 miles of “salt water”....Or the dang lure manufacturer used cheap hooks that, ahem rust.......

Or perhaps this is the fishiest lure that does its job better the more scratched, rusty and eyes it’s missing? Hmmm....... I remember the first time I saw a Halco in action on a Sportboat........it was the most rusted jacked up thing I ever saw....I remembered mentioning how jacked up it was to my buddy.......When I saw it Bloody the deck......I said, I want a rusty jacked up Halco too! Yay! I got my wish......Kind of like faded holy Levi’s.....now why would a person wear those????

I wish Halco and Rapala made lures that didn’t rust. What a concept.......stainless steel....we pay enough for them....West Marine is selling them for $27 each, you would think it would have SS, nope.......I wish I was a rich man and could afford to use a brand new lure every trip. Or swap out every hook before it gets rust with expensive SS hooks or single hooks. Perhaps I should open up a GoFundIt account?

So Vito, I hope that answers your question for you and your buddy who thinks it’s funny I got a hook in my finger. I posted it at the risk of getting feedback which I did.....I can black out my hooks from now on in my photos if it pleases you and your buddy the lurker....But it’s nice to know that even though a person who doesn’t like me that person sees a geofish thread or comment and secretly lurks and can’t help but read them.......

In the end, my rusty azz lures just freakin catch fish over and over again. They have Mojo, JuJu or just a rusty personality.....I think I’ll call that fishy lure “Rusty” from now on.....I guess my SDJam knot rocks....If you’ve read my previous threads you’ll remember I have my superstitions and rituals........if it catches fish, why mess with a good thing? In sports you must respect “the streak.”

On a personal note, all kidding aside, my son and I have a new rule. We don’t swap out lures when the boat is underway going faster than trolling speed.......

The lesson here at the risk of geofish being questioned or laughed at is not that the lure was rusty.....it’s why was I tying a SDJam knot on a choppy-azz day going 15-20 mph....because rusty or brand spankin new, I got hooked....

And.......yesterday I swapped out a rusty Halco hook and put it on the “lucky lure” that bit me on Thursday and...........Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and the sound of another tuna hitting the deck

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,419
    Read the Con

BBF75C63-F7C8-4E40-A4C7-6B1F59BAB6F5.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,152
    I wasn’t laughing at you I was just thinking the hook was just laying around on the boat somewhere I didn’t mean it in a bad way sorry if you think I was laughing about your hooked finger, I’ve done it a couple of times myself and I know how much it hurts.

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Redjim

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,568
    Glad you're on the mend, thats a traumatic gnarly puncture wound. I sunk a rapala into my hand that I had dangling from my car radio right after I clocked out for lunch one day. I had gotten in and turned the car on the radio, synched my phone and belted up. When I reached for the gearshift, I overshot and came up with a helluva catch. I shut down the car, went inside and told my boss that I may not be coming back to work but definitely a long lunch break. Came back out and headed to the urgent care clinic, downtown san diego. The only parking I could find within a half mile was 15 minute, only three blocks away from the clinic. I had to go back to pay the meter like 3 or 4 times while I had to verbally fill out new patient forms (since I had a rapala tucked tight), only to have them tell me that my insurance didnt cover it. The looks on people's faces as I walked from the clinic to feed the meter were priceless. Had a few folks ask me if I was playing a joke with a fake or something. Glad you're healing up, and take care of that. Tight lines and following seas

13. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,419
    Here’s an update. My wound is healing well. No infection. Only missed one day of fishing......Fished yesterday most of the day with a blue nitrile glove on......

Thanks to you well wishers. I appreciate your thoughtfulness......

DAD1DC52-894C-4BF5-ACD0-1A34A56B837F.jpeg

14. Catchalot

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +487
    Boat:
    Catchalot
    OW! I wish you a speedy recovery Geo!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  15. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,419
    Ha ha, I didn’t realize I took a picture of my “fishing glove.”

4AA6FFC2-E39E-45DB-940D-CA10064AE091.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Produce Man

Produce Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +158
    Ouch! Now that hook is off the jig, replace it and others with doubles. Just slide them on the lure's loops without the split ring. Don't worry about the stick factor, rear hook up and belly hook down.

17. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,419
    Lessons learned.....First, I love Amazon....I got a delivery about 6pm today.

Second:

As a precaution I bought these treble hook covers. I’ve procrastinated far too long about purchasing these. No excuses with Amazon. Should make a difference in overall safety and theoretically I should be able to save space......

Also, since I’m boating more, I see that all these biatchin rod holders are also holding wickedly sharp hooks and jigs that dangle, bounce, sway and fly around when they become unattached....

9B1C6989-F180-4360-8030-ACD73E9BE59D.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  18. OPERATOR SPECTRE

OPERATOR SPECTRE Small stingrays make great frisbees
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,520
    Holy crap... That looks very painful..

19. OPERATOR SPECTRE

OPERATOR SPECTRE Small stingrays make great frisbees
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,520
    Dude, I hope you heal completely soon

#39 OPERATOR SPECTRE, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  20. Dane101

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +106
    note:replace rusty hooks , use net or gaff from now on.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List