Lake Baccarac March 16th-19th

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by transplant, Mar 29, 2021.

1. transplant

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +872
    Boat:
    My buddies
    I wanted to post a report each day but the cell signal was not up to it. Travel wise, this was the easiest trip we have experienced so far. We got through Crossborder Express way faster than normal and had plenty of time to grab a nice Mexican breakfast at the Tijuana airport. The flight down there is only a couple of hours, so it goes pretty quick. The lodge picked us up right on time and hand plenty of cold beers waiting for us for the ride out the lodge. About a week before we got there they dropped the lake a ton. They said it was already down to 30%, which is normally where it is in June. They said it slowed the bite down quite a bit. We actually ended up catching way more numbers than in previous trips, just not the giants we were used to. We lost count, but caught over 200 fish this trip. The biggest we caught was an 8.8lbr on the first evening. Don't get me wrong, that is a great fish, but we are used to seeing a few close to or over 10lbs on each trip. There were a couple of guys that got on a crazy spinner bait bite and was able to catch a pair of 11's.
    Our top baits were T-rigged lizards, spinner baits, but the lions share went to 10XD's and 8XD's. It's a lot of work, but so much fun when they load up. We consistently got on flurries of bites with the cranks. We ended up with a bunch of doubles, one of which was a 7lbr and a 6lbr, and one triple (the guide got in on that one) We had Manuel, he's an ace, like all the guides down there. The food was great and so was the weather. Such a good time down there. Terry Hollan runs one heck of an operation with Lake Baccarac Lodge and I can't wait to get back.
    IMG_5289.jpg IMG_5282.jpg IMG_5272.jpg IMG_5285.jpg IMG_20190611_110628418.jpg

2. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,559
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    Wow! It looks like a great time with beautiful weather to boot. Do you bring your own gear or is everything supplied for you by the lodge?

3. chucklai

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +399
    Sounds like a great trip! Our trip in Feb. was the same, cranking was fun when they're on!

4. transplant

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +872
    Boat:
    My buddies
    Generally you bring your own gear, although they do have some rods to rent and fairly well stocked tackle shop. It's one of those things you should do at least once if you enjoy bass fishing. The guides run the boat and all you have to do is focus on fishing.

5. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,395
    Glad you had Manuel. Pay extra, or was he assigned to you?

How many folks were staying there? Was really low patronage last month the week we were there.

PunkerBass.jpg

chucklai and I did ok there too last month, but last year the top was better at Salto. Fun times, which ever Mex. lake you fish, that's for sure.

#5 otay michael, Mar 29, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  6. Borderbasser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +802
    This one is on the bucket list. I've been too Salto and Picachos a couple times now, and again this year, but never the B. Those trips are always great, just insane action. Just about everyday there beats your best day anywhere else. Well done sir!

7. transplant

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +872
    Boat:
    My buddies
    He was assigned to us, that's a great looking fish. Wish we had a topwater bite going.

8. diegofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,173
    Great report. Plan on making that trip soon.
    Don't look like you have much gear on board.
    How many set ups did each of you take.

9. transplant

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +872
    Boat:
    My buddies
    Hah, we ended up with two duffles and about 60 lbs worth of tackle. We each had 3 rods with one back up. We ended up favoring our crank sets ups, but its nice having options out there and not having to re-tie every time.