Lake Baccarac Mexico June 10-14

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by transplant, Jun 16, 2019.

1. transplant

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +877
    Boat:
    My buddies
    Baccarac was as good as last year, if not better. Per usual we had an easy flight after using the CBX and flying out of Tijuana with Volaris. We had plenty of time to fish that afternoon after getting to the lodge. Within 15 mins of getting to our first spot it was obvious we would have some good fishing. Right off the bat we shook off the rust with a 4, two 5's, and a 7 on about 10 casts with the sexy shad 10XD. We then started fishing big 7" senkos and caught a couple other good fish. It was there that I hooked into one that I could not even turn and she broke me off in a bush. It's hard to explain, but the fish down there are way stronger than up here. Even a 3 lbr can double your rod over.
    The next morning was about the same. Crankbait and senko fish, nothing super grouped up like the evening before, but we had some good fish. Around 11am we pulled up to a long drop off in between two points. A favoirte big fish spot for our guide Sixto. "Not many fish here, but only big ones." My buddy Mike hooks up on a real monster with an 8XD crankbait. It's pulling drag and digging in deep. Finally it comes up to the surface and wallows around, at that point we new it was a hog. Sixto nets the fish and we get it on the scale. 11.13lbs!!! I was not aware, but it was my buddy mikes new PB. His last one came in the mid 80's We were both stoked and high fiving all around.
    It was an exciting morning for sure and he was jacked out of his mind.
    The next day we were at another big fish spot, one that we had previously pulled a 9 off of. Mike makes a cast across the middle of a cut between some trees and gets freight trained on his crankbait half way back. The fish comes up and shakes his head and throws the crankbait about 15 feet from us. No doubt, this is the biggest fish I have ever seen in person. Even our guide loses his composure and freaks out. It looked like you could of fit a soccer ball down its mouth. We all kind of sit there for a moment a little dazed. It's moments like that that play back in your mind and keep you going down there. We told the story to one of the guys who works at the lodge, and he just smiled and said, "yah, we hear stuff like that all the time." The lake has some true giants in it.
    The rest of the trip we kind of stuck to the same script and cycled through sixto's favorite big fish spots. He would never spend too much time on any one spot. Either the fish were there or not. Most sessions resulted in at least one, if not several in the 7-9 lb range.
    Crankbaits were king with out a doubt. We got on a couple of spots that resulted in fish ever cast for about 20-30 mins. One spot that was impressive resulted in a 4-6 lb bass every cast for about 20 mins. It was unbelievable and yet fairly common at Baccarac. It sounds crazy but our guide would not bother to get the net unless it was over 7lbs. We were literally shaking 5 lbrs off at the boat so we would not have to mess with getting the hooks out. You get jaded pretty quick there.
    Overall, we had the big 11.13, three in the 9 range, and a whole bunch in the 7-8 range. We should of kept track better but I wasn't really thinking about it. Next time I will bring a counter. Probably about 200 fish caught overall with very few fish under 3lbs. Our hot baits were the 10xds' and the 8xd's (which seemed to be more productive), 7" senko in bluegill color, and storm swimbaits in 5". I would say 90% of our fish came from crankbaits though. For sure a memorable trip. No true giants for me, although I had my chance. I was broken off several time and had a few I never got to see. Big thanks to the Terry Hollan and the staff at Lake Baccarac Lodge. They do a great job and their guides are outstanding. On an important side not, the guides ability to get lures out of submerged trees and nets is uncanny. Our guide probably had a 99% success rate and saved us a ton of money in crank baits. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about getting down there. Id be happy to share any info. I have not start editing our gopro footage, the 11.13 is on there, but I will post it as soon as I do.

IMG_20190611_110536809_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190611_080316788.jpg IMG_20190611_110628418.jpg IMG_20190612_060314764.jpg IMG_20190613_072920019_HDR.jpg IMG_20190614_063620588.jpg IMG_20190614_092824598.jpg

• Like Like x 35
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,543
    Damn.. what a cool report on an epic trip! More then a lifetime of hogs in a few days..

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. transplant

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +877
    Boat:
    My buddies
    Right?!!! It doesn't even seem possible.

4. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,148
    BOOM! Yea that got me stoked to plan a trip there.

5. Kahuna bass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,108
    Boat:
    Warrior 208XRS bass
    Impressive report Transplant!! Put that lake on the bucket list!!

Mel - Kahuna bass

6. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,559
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    Wow! I loved reading your story!! Thanks for taking the time to write it all down.

7. transplant

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +877
    Boat:
    My buddies
    Yah, no problem. Its a great trip for sure. Can't wait to get back down there.

8. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,223
    Cant wait to see the footy bro! Im getting soooooo pumped for my trip. You just made my Monday slightly more bearable ;)

9. transplant

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +877
    Boat:
    My buddies
    When are you going?!!!!

10. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,587
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    Thanks for the report. Sorry you didn't improve on your PB. Congratulation to Mike on the PB. Got me interested. Can't imagine a bass that large on a fly but would like to check it out. I also wonder what they're doing right to grow them that big. WoW

11. transplant

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +877
    Boat:
    My buddies
    Yah, its an incredible fishery. Our guide said that he had a client land a 12 lbr on a fly. It was some kind of record for that line size he said. The fish grow about 2 lbs a year and it has to do with a couple of things. For one, their growing season is all year. The weather is pretty consistent and never really gets that cold. The second thing is the abundance of food for them. It is also a commercial Tilapia fishery and those bass love Tilapia. We found 3 big bass floating on the surface with Tilapia stuck in their throats. Fly fishing down there is definitely an option. They say Oct-Dec is the best time for that as the fish are all up shallow.

12. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,587
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    Thanks for the info transplant

13. smiler

smiler Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +236
    Boat:
    Ranger 522 DX
    What a report and the pics....wow. Congratulations on your great trip.

14. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,223
    End of October

15. Rob Fletcher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +358
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo 13
    Have you done El Salto? Wondering how they compare as I did a trip to El Salto this past December.

16. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,388
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Just like my last trip to Sutherland, only different! ;) Thanks Logan, for letting us live vicariously through your report.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. transplant

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +877
    Boat:
    My buddies
    I have been to El salto 7 times. It's good for sure but the size of the fish has been declining over the past few years in my opinion. Lake baccarac has just been catching more bigger fish. Every lake cycles a little and El salto seems to be going through a down cycle as far as size. Still a great lake and picachos seems to be up and coming.

18. transplant

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +877
    Boat:
    My buddies
    I think we are heading back next April. If you are interested let me know.

19. Brian D.

Brian D. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +187
    Boat:
    Legend Alpha 199
    So whats the total cost of the trip? Love to see the breakdown.
    Airfare
    Tips
    Lodge
    etc.

20. transplant

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +877
    Boat:
    My buddies
    Here is the basic breakdown.
    We fly out of TJ via the crossborder Xpress
    Crossborder Xpress is $30 for a round trip ticket.

Our flight with Volaris was $140 per person round trip with all our upgrades and the rod tube fee.
    The nice thing about flying out of TJ is that is only a 2 hour flight instead of an all day event if you flew from SD or LAX.

Ground transportation is included if you fly into Los Mochis. We flew into Culiacan this year so there was a fee of $175 total for the van ride. Culiacan is about an hour further away from the lodge.

We fish for 4 1/2 days so it's just a little over 2k for that. If you elect to just fish 4 days its just under 2k. It is based on double occupancy. This includes your food, room, and boat. Drinks include soda, beer, water, and magaritas. Feel free to ask the driver to stop at the oxxo to pick up a bottle of something else.

They have a tipping guide, but most guides get about $80 a day between the two of you. Some guides get more, but the lodge will inform you about that. As for the rest of the tipping expect about $100 for the week. This takes care of the wait staff, cooks, and laundry.

The tackle shop is pretty well stocked, but expect to pay more for stuff down there.

You can explore their website at www.lakebaccaraclodge.com

We are going back late march/early april if you want to join us. We would be happy to show you the way down there.
    Feel free to call or text me at 619-920-2355

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List