Lake Calaveras..

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by rickneal22, Mar 24, 2010.

1. rickneal22

rickneal22 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone fished that lake lately?? I tubed it a few times growing up but havent been back in like 8 years. Is it still open to fishing?

2. bassman22

bassman22 New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    i've heard there was a die off and i've heard its an ok spot if youre bored

3. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,301
    It used to be pretty good, but I haven't fished it since about 2002.

4. Osideguy

Osideguy Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I live within walking distance and fish it all the time. But lets be clear, you are no longer aloud to fish there. They have posted a few new signs but people still go. My neighbor was kicked out for fishing and was told if he came back it would be a ticket. Its patroled by the Center of land Management I think the name of the company is. They drive a white toyota tacoma but pretty much stay near the damn. In 2009 I fished it probably 30 or 35 times, but have cut way back since they started to tell me not to fish. Many people float it with good success. My last fish was about 4 lbs, not bad for a lake like that. They have some good size fish there but a lot of dinks too. Start with lipsless cranks, senkos and probably a t-rig. Oh by the way, its a very tuff place to fish, Ive been skunked a bunch but Ive also at times got a hand full in a caouple hours time. Oh, and watch for rattle snakes, they are everywhere.

5. bassgalrascal

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,301
    They ought to just make it into a public park and open it up for fishing. What a waste, not being able to fish it.

6. BfishK

BfishK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I went once last year in the middle of winter and tubed it. Got one dink on a reeper. Water was freezing. I was looking forward to going there again but so much for that. Like bassrascal said what a waste!

7. gofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +31
    I grew up fishing that lake and had a lot of fun times out there. The lake has become a very sad story and I believe it's all because of politics. As stated before, it is CLOSED to fishing and there are signs posted. As an excuse, they state that the land is a very unique protected habitat which enhibits endangered species.

8. odie85

odie85 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I tubed it today for the first time in about 8 years.. i didnt see any sign saying i couldnt.. there were other fishermen out there fishing from shore and i saw a sign with all the regulations and fishinng was not mentioned on the sign at all..

9. Osideguy

Osideguy Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Look at the last thing listed on the white sign, last I checked which was today when I walk my dog there it read No Fishing. People fish there all the time, me until recently, the land manager will kick you out or write u a ticket if he sees you. Im not saying you absoluty cant Im just saying we probably shouldnt. I know Ill probably venture down there soon enough with my poles in hand.