Lake Cuyamaca Fishing for a 6 year old

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by bassman2008, Nov 9, 2020.

1. bassman2008

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +119
    I am going camping this week up in the Cuyamacas and want to take my 6 year old fishing at Lake Cuyamaca. This will be her first time fishing and I want to see what would be my best shot at getting her on some type of fish (trout, crappie, bluegill). What would be my best bet on what to use to get her on some fish?

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +62,626
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    If you are ever in east county and want to put her on some ditch vermin (green sunfish), hit me up any time. If there is an area they feed the ducks, bread ball packed hard on the hair rig, IMO.... Don't know much about that lake, didn't fish it much ever even back in the day...

3. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,824
    Boat:
    It floats
    Floating night crawler half try one rod just crawler and other crawler combo with fluorescent green or pink power bait ball on a 1 to 1.5 foot 4lb or 6lb seagar red label flouro leader. Lone pine side.

4. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,859
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Yep, for Trout! Pinch the crawler in half and inflate the solid end with a syringe. The lady where you buy permits is usually up on the latest best rig. Bundle up! The wind will chill to the bone!

5. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,653
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    Do 6 years old need a permit? =^..^=

6. Kesepton

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +703
    I dont think 6 would need it as long as you are with a paying adult. I believe they are supposed to share a limit though.

I would just stick with flylinned half night crawlers or small split shot and inflated. Get on to the pier at chambers park and youll be on fish pretty quick but there isnt much room. The T dock by the shop would be good too. Last time I was there the water was pretty high so a lot of the shore was shallow and had a lot of submerged bushes which can be make casting/managing line with a small one pretty hard.

And yes, the weather up there an be very different than in San Diego so be ready for the wind/cold. Bring gloves for the little one if you are planning on going early.