1. Anglers Marine is looking for motivated, qualified, career driven employees for their Lakeside location. Full time Counter Sales, Part Sales, and Boat Sales positions are available at their Lakeside location. Health insurance and 401k benefits are available. Pay based on experience. Contact Rick or Cindy at 714-666-2628 if interested.
    Dismiss Notice

Lake Cuyamaca flyfishing from a float tube

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by wbttk, May 17, 2018.

1. wbttk

wbttk Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

I've never been to Cuyamaca, but I'm very interested in trying it. Has anyone had success flyfishing Lake Cuyamaca from a float tube? I'm targeting trout, but bass and panfish would be awesome too.

I'm used to fishing the eastern sierra in float tubes with wooly buggers/matukas and what not, and I'm looking for a closer lake to SD to try fishing the same style. I've searched the message boards here, but haven't seen fly fishing Cuyamaca discussed, so I thought I would ask.

Also, is Cuyamaca very weedy/mossy lake? I'd like to know if getting hung up often on a sinking or sink tip line will be a problem. Any other advice would be really appreciated too. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Zack

2. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,093
    Cuyamaca fishes well from a tube. It does get weedy and mossy during the summer. But shouldn't be too bad now. Same tactics that work in Sierra work here. As you would expect, it fishes better for trout after a plant. The lake website has the planting schedule.

3. wbttk

wbttk Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks Craig, that's great to hear. I see the next plant is on May 22nd of next week, and I may be able to fish a few days later. Looking forward to it!

I've been watching the wind on the lake for a while now, and it seems like its been blowing pretty steadily. Is that normal for this lake? I may try to get on very early to avoid it as much as possible, just wanted to know if 10-15mph wind is normal there?

4. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,093
    Standard wind pattern

5. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,011
    Park at Chambers Park then walk the trail along the shore and put in just off shore by the lone Pine tree and let the wind blow you back down to Chambers casting to the shore. You can get about 2-3 hrs on an outing and black or brown Wooly's on a W/F 5wgt floating line or sinking tip worked for me The lake is fairly shallow like less than 8-10 ft in most places and as stated can get rather windy in the late afternoon.. While most of the trout are in the +- 2 lb size they are fun to catch and sometimes you can hook up with a bigger model. I have had several outings years ago on a warm summer evening when it got buggy and had hot action till the ranger motored out and started clearing the lake as the sun dipped below the mountain.

6. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,093
    A little more on the wind. It's been fairly windy in the mountains for the last few week.

Fortunately the lake isn't too big. I got caught a couple of times where I got blown across and couldn't kick back. Had to walk.

If east winds are predicted I would often not go. West winds occur almost daily and start late morning. Sometimes they are manageable all day. Some time they just get too strong.

I go to the national weather service San Diego site for wind predictions. Use the map to select the lake area then click on the graphical forecast. It will give you predicted wind velocity and direction.

Winds 8-10 mph will start the create waves with white crests. That's when I would usually quit if I was tubing

I used to catch a lot of fish there wading the Lone Pine Tree area and using an intermediate line in a strong west wind (coming from my right or casting side). The intermediate line would get below the surface wind driven current.

My favorite rig for trout there was a matuka or bugger with a bead head nymph trailer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. wbttk

wbttk Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks Weldon and Craig. Sounds like managing the wind will always be an issue here. I plan on getting out early then, or at least pick a day when the wind is relatively down. The Lone Pine to Chambers park drift sounds good.

In terms of stocked fish, how many days after the plant do you usually go for best action?

I really appreciate the help!

8. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,093
    The plant dates may only reflect the week with that date and not the actual date of the plant.

It typically takes a couple of days for the fish to disperse. But there are some hold over fish

9. wbttk

wbttk Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the planting info. BTW, have either of you ever caught bass or panfish while trolling for trout?

10. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,093
    I don’t recall ever catching bass or panfish while trolling for trout at Cuyamaca.

I have caught crappie when casting for trout from a float tube and boat.

I have also caught bass, bluegill, crappie, and bullhead while wading and casting for trout at the lake.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  11. wbttk

wbttk Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for all your help Craig! You really helped me out!