Lake Jennings new prices

Discussion in 'General Fishing' started by camobass, Jan 4, 2021.

1. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,698
    Boat:
    It floats
  2. sherpa

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,602
    I walk there a lot, I thought I would walk the lake road, they wanted $4 to just walk, I walk for free on the road to the camp ground, but it blocked to foot traffic just on the other side of the dam. Why I don’t know it’s the same as walking across the dam. $4 is a rip off

3. NibbleSquad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,882
    This will be the year i quit fishing there. There is more trash than ever, only open 6am-3pm weekends, no campground fishing, prices rose again, the trout stocks are less and of worse quality.. I could go on but i'll stop there. Got to pay those Helix pensions somehow i guess

4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +54,890
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    The reason I have fished one SD lake once in the last 20 years.. never been happier or caught more nice eating fish since I got dedicated to learning the IV

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,942
    Jennings isn't as bad as Santee, IMO, but not from a lack of effort. I have had a few bad experiences there. It's definitely not one of my favorite lakes to fish.

6. FishBait

FishBait Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +865
    $12 bucks to fish and an $8 “processing fee” for camp sites.... yikes

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,349
    Name:
    Kyle
    So a family would be 42 bucks just for the privilege to fish (24 for mom and dad plus 18 for 3 kiddos). Unreal. In MN, license is 25 dollars (50 for a couple, free for kids) for the year with thousands of miles of lakes and rivers to fish free, for an entire year. That means to fish 1 day on this lake is the almost the same cost as a family fishing for an entire year in MN. No wonder barely anyone fishes in San Diego. They make it too expensive for most people. Most working class people cannot afford to take a family fishing on the Sporties on a regular basis.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,942
    Yeah, a lot of these lakes are money pits. I avoid any lake that makes you pay to park.

9. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,698
    Boat:
    It floats
    I love Jennings, one of my favorite bass lakes. What a shame

10. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,247
    Of course most of those lakes in MN are natural, not artificial reservoirs owned by the water districts. The fees are needed to help cover the operating costs. A small percentage of people served by the water districts use these lakes and I could just envision the griping if everyone saw a surcharge on their water bill to cover lake recreation operations.

I think Lake Elsinore is the only natural lake in Southern California.

The sport boats are businesses and the whole point of being in business is to make money. Most people in that business would earn more as a manager of an In-N-Out burger (avg store manager salary about $160K with a range of about $60K to $250K)

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  11. fish4bass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +965
    I can get a senior permit and a launch for $11 at El Cap. $21 for the same at Jennings is really pushing it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,698
    Boat:
    It floats
    Or they could just manage the lakes with army core of engineers like other states and not charge anything. That would never happen here though. A lot of artificial lakes in other states are 24hr, free launch, parking and fishing.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. sherpa

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,602
    Lindo Lake in Lakeside is a natural lake

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Poway is 3.00 for seniors and free parking during the week.
    Cuyamaca 5.00 , Jennings has been struggling for 10yrs.
    They were a great place, kids would line the bank, catching trout.
    After Hugh Marx, it went down hill know doubt.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  15. sdfriday

sdfriday Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +203
    Sucks that they are charging for $6 for kids now. Used to be free.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,698
    Boat:
    It floats
    There’s free fishing at Jennings every night at the old park n ride by the dam

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,247
    Depends on who paid for the lakes and who controls the water. There are many lakes in CA with no fishing or access fees. Most tend to be farther north and on federal (BLM, National Forest, State Forest , etc ) land and not controlled by municipal water districts or rural irrigation districts. Some may be in recreation areas controlled by county recreation districts and might require a boating permit but not fishing or parking.

The municipal water districts and irrigation districts aren’t going to hand over their water to the feds. They have spent a century or more securing the rights to control it.

I have fished a number of reservoirs in far north east CA on federal land that have no fees. Many no facilities other than porta potties. Boats are launched over the beach. I have also fished some that have nice marinas that make their money from usually marina services. Eagle Lake near Susanville is a favorite. Some lakes in BLM area do have fees. For example Eagle Lake near Susanville, a favorite of mine has a parking fee at the marinas , probably to help with the cost of the major upgrades to the ramps and parking areas a few years ago. I don’t recall a fishing permit fee. And you can launch a kayak or tube from any shoreline you can reach.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  18. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,698
    Boat:
    It floats
    I understand that but I feel that they could cover the no fees with the prices they make on charging for water. Ramps have to be there anyway for lake maintenance even if the lake was closed to recreation. Also if it was closed to recreation, there would still be employees on site to manage the lake. They could have iron rangers, oh wait, they do. I rarely ever get checked now but if they were worried, they could have more enforcement through fish and game. I get checked more In the Midwest than I do here.
    I would bet the lake fees are more of a deterrent than to make money.

I understand lakes like san v may want to recoup there ramp expenses but it could also be filed under roads and bridges and part of California’s budget.

It’s all pipe dreams. CA doesn’t care about recreation. They would rather destroy Indian grounds and kill raptors with all their windmills

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,741
    Not defending anyone's pricing policies, but comparing SD to MN makes little sense. If you have a state license, it is FREE to fish in our county's lake. It is free to fish in the surf, bays, lagoons, creeks, and rivers in SD County. And to get to Jennings most people drive past at least one free fishing spot.

It stinks that a water district would charge more for less. With so many people turning to outdoor recreation, it feels like there's profiteering going on...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,247

Here is a post from a few years ago in the now terminated special Forum for questions for Jim Brown

https://sdfish.com/forums/t/how-has...ng-changed-over-the-years.159396/#post-470230

It is my understanding that the facilities at lakes controlled by the water districts would not be covered by state budgets. It’s either the water rate payer, of which very few actually use those facilities, or money brought in by usage fees. For many of the water districts, recreation is an annoyance they may be forced to accept, mostly avoid like Sweetwater, or continually find ways to keep waters closed that are supposed to be open like Haiwee off 395.

And if the costs were factored into the water rates it will be noticed and consumer groups will complain. Especially water district customers that control lakes where a large percentage of the visitors don’t get their water from those districts. So, for example, people in the Helix district might be ticked off about paying for all those people from other areas that use Jennings. Now my water comes from San Diego City Lakes, and I use those lakes so I wouldn’t mind a few more cents or a couple of dollars extra a month, but no one else in my neighborhood does so they might.

#20 CraigSmith, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021