Lakes Improvement Initiative Meeting.

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Everydog, Mar 22, 2022.

1. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +15,115
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Is it true they want to take it down another 15' ?

2. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,494
    Boat:
    SR-18
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. ultralitefish

ultralitefish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Yearly stocking of Channels and/or Blue Catfish in the city lakes. Most San Diego city lakes don't have a good population of catfish now.

4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +62,219
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Far more cats in the local lakes than is often supposed..

5. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,692
    Thanks for the comments and ideas. I'll send an email with a link to this thread out first thing tomorrow with cc to all meeting attendees that I know of.

I don't think we are going to hammer out any issues that I can come back and say this or that is going to happen. it's completely new territory for me. I want to find out how big of an opportunity for advocating for our interests the County interagency lakes management initiative can be. Nobody really knows this at this time. It's an emergent process at best, so far.
    If it looks promising, maybe we can figure out how we can help push fishing and angler's interests up on the agenda, at least equally with other recreational activities around the lakes. These folks do have a reputation for being enthusiastic, bound by a lot of budgets, jurisdictions, and all kinds of other limits, of course. I know at least some of them relate to fishing, which is getting rare in leadership everywhere.

The County has the possibility of being a better partner for us than the city alone, or any independent water district alone.

6. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,692
    The meeting happened as scheduled and went on for a full hour.
    There were 4 of us. Director of County Parks and Recreation, Deputy Director of Parks and Recreation and
    Someone I haven't nailed down a position for but It was Regional Parks and Rec or County Operations.

They basically gave me the Microsoft teams meeting, which is like zoom for those who don't know, and then honest, sometimes painful feedback, which is good to know.

All points in this thread were expressed again.

Most County Supervisors are not engaged much and will be more worried about economic than social impacts. Supervisor Anderson and his staff and these Parks and Recreation folks, pretty much, will or won't make something of this but their restraints are real. Not a slight to the current staff, but there are no Jim Browns or Larry Bottroffs. I explained the value they brought to the public and the fisheries for reference purposes. Other people know a lot more about this than I do, but it seems the impacts they were allowed to have at city lakes were phased out.

Sutherland and Jennings seem to be the focus. I guess the county ran Jennings at some point.
    Camping is hoped for around Southerland. The point is that County Parks & Recreation already has a lot of focus on that geographical area.

The county doesn't have the slightest impact on water levels. We probably knew that. So Sutherland Could be just like Morena!

There is a dearth of advocacy for anglers by anglers. Nobody on county staff, or the Board of supervisors hears from us often. Easy to think the San Diego City Council people do rarely as well. There is no single standout fishing/lakes advocacy group in the entire county of San Diego. SD FISH is probably the best thing going but we are certainly not organized for, or embracing the task.

The Survey is still open. I think it is until April 8th.

As stated, this is an emergent process. Not necessarily going to blow the doors off with opportunities at our lakes, but probably will accomplish something.

Lake managers, whether they be the city of San Diego, or independent water districts mostly don't want anyone in their business unless it's to give them money.

Fish and wildlife agencies not rushing to get engaged with the county either.

Nothing is happening to impact Loveland Reservoir positively, or negatively with the lakes initiative.
    Where the Sweetwater Authority is concerned the County's priority is to complete a trail all the way around the Sweetwater Reservoir.

The County won't be relieving the Forest Service of their duties at Loveland.
    Supervisor Anderson's office is still helping with Loveland to some degree.

#26 Everydog, Mar 29, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
  7. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +24,249
    Took the survey and thanks for all you do Everydog. It's hard to change minds but when people(real fishermen) speak up on issues, it helps give us a voice to help make things better in the future.
    You have been that voice many times. Thank you. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,692
    Thank you, Vinny, I think I like fighting, I mean advocating, as much as fishing. At least this is a good cause to attach those pugnacious tendencies to.

9. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,692
    This really goes on the Loveland page, but it does introduce the Survey/Lakes initiative.

Reader

10. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +15,115
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    I would think the bass clubs could organize and put some pressure on the City and County on behalf of San Diego fisherman! I suppose they have what they want on weekends and find no need in fighting for more hours during the week for the average fisherman! It seems like they owe something to the average Joe, since they can turn a day on the lake on a Saturday into a crowded nightmare! It's sad that the people who fought for us in the 70s-90s have all retired or passed away! Keep up the fight Everydog!

11. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,692
    Thanks, McFish.

We don't have somebody like Jim Brown. We should just get over it. No city worker is allowed the impact on lakes that he was allowed.

The public can fill some of that....maybe if we spoke up more they would get so tired of us that they would give us a lake manager like Jim.

The tournament guys probably feel lucky for any cooperation they get and don't want to upset anyone pushing for help for recreational anglers. I truly doubt they dwell on "owing" us anything. The tackle shops are another story, but even they have to be pleaded with or coerced sometimes as long as the cash register is ringing they are not too bothered about any of this.

I think we might let our antipathy towards politicians get in our way. Understandable, but overplayed. They need to hear from more of us, and more often, and semi-constructively, not just ranting about what losers they are. It's hard to overcome that antipathy and doubt about our local representatives, trust me I know. It has to be done, in numbers, to get our priorities a chance. As hobby anglers, we are actually disenfranchising ourselves.

12. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,494
    Boat:
    SR-18
    Get in touch with CA Recreational Freedom Alliance. They are rooted in the tournament fishing clique but have similar objectives for increasing angling opportunities. Cohesive organized dialogue with Supervisors is important to achieve collective goals.
    IMO opening the gates more days or more hours has the absolute least financial burden. Focus on that is paramount.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,692
    O.k. I am on a soapbox.

It has the least financial burden.

At its core, a lake is a park. We need more parks, right? The county Spends 25 million per regional park. It is a matter of pragmatism that existing parks should be open. The city is getting away with murder by keeping these lakes closed or making it so "pay to play", while exercisers and picnickers, and others have facilities all over the county, with all sorts of associated costs, make a mess for public workers to clean up, and in most cases don't pay a cent. If we are going to pay to play beyond our taxes, at least spread it out over more days.

Parks should be subsidized, most of them are, seven days a week unless you fish. Subsidized does not mean welfare. We are taxpayers too. Even though the demographics have changed a lot over the last 20-30 years. The County isn't as blue-collar in nature as it used to be by ratios. However, due to population increases, there are, overall, there are more taxpayers that want to fish now than there were back then. There are not any more lakes...just less access to the ones we have always had.

#33 Everydog, Apr 3, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  14. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +15,115
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    I'm sure if we had a business person running the City Lakes, instead of Politicians, we could have them open 7 days a week! It costs very little to run most of these lakes if you don't piss away the money on ridiculous spending! I would think the SD Water Authority takes care of the water issues, a private concessionaire takes care or permits, a store, and rentals, and the city just needs to clean the outhouses...that doesn't take 10 employees! I'll drive the Ranger boat!

15. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,692
    Make sure as a ranger that you harass everyone using live bait. Hey, where are my nightcrawlers anyway? And, oh yeah, take some damn largemouth bass home!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  16. sherpa

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,852
    there there people just don’t fish for them

17. sherpa

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,852
    last week the lake manager - keeper was at the bottom of the hill at SV taking tickets, I thought that was the job of the concessionaires at the lakes instead of carrying a conversation with the costumer’s

18. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +15,115
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    I can't figure out what anyone's job is with the City...

19. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,692
    I'm a little riled up, but not that bad. What I am thinking is, that if the lakes were seriously audited for public access entitlements, and enough people wanted to raise hell for a long time, a good number of them could never get away with closing to fishing on weekdays or any days. Putting boats on them every day might not be defensible, but denying shoreline and nonmotorized access is probably wrong in some instances.

20. Everydog

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,692
    The County Department of Parks and Rec. w as supposed to get back to the Board of Supervisors on the Lakes initiative by now. I have asked Supervisor Anderson to put it on the agenda for his public speaking event on June 9th at the Lakeside Rodeo. I can't be there to follow up on it due to my son's graduation. Maybe someone else can go?
    Just remind him we are waiting for improvements.

Register here:
    Lakeside Community Coffee Town Hall Meeting

Anyone interested, let me know if you have any questions.