Last chance....

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by mcfish, Sep 24, 2021.

1. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,938
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Last week to fish the lake in the sticks! Got to the lake at 6:15, only 3 cars in the lot, not surprised, fishing has gotten tougher the last few weeks. I started with the fluke and popper for nada, no sign of topwater, but gave it a shot! Switched to D/S and senkos..still nothing. I started smelling skunks, something I'm not accustomed to! I finally picked up a fish on the dropshot at 9:00..the stink is off! Right after that, I noticed some breakers in the center of the lake, a real challenge in a tube! I decided to go after them, throwing a couple different things at them, finally scored with Zoom tiny flukes! About that time, the clouds had built up and looked threatening. I'm not afraid of a little rain...thunder and lightning on a lake..yes! I kicked my way back towards my truck, by the time I got there, the storm had moved on..damn! I headed back to the center of the lake, only to find that the topwater fish wanted no part of the weather either. I switched back to the dropshot, caught a couple more and called it a day with the clouds building back up at 1:00! I ended up with 8 fish, but it was a grind. I covered a lot of territory! I didn't see anyone else getting fish and most left by 10:00, even the shore boys! Sad that the lake is closing with the topwater just getting going again..oh well, that's the city lakes for you! 20210924_095256.jpg 20210924_085408.jpg sorry about the long story, had to make up for Mr. Vinnybass' short story.......

• Like Like x 11
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,106
    Boat:
    Yes
    8 bass at our hometown lake is a good day mcfish I'm heading out there today Saturday and tomorrow for the final two days of the year. Tight lines out there!

3. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +21,279
    I sat down with a cup of coffee and a pastry and by the time I finished your story, I ate all the pastry and finished my coffee. Just kidding mcfish!
    So glad you got out to hit Sutherland on the last Friday that it is open. I was thinking of being that 4th vehicle in the parking lot, but just made the closer choice of hitting my home lake, especially after how tough my last trip was up there. You worked hard and got rewarded which is great news when that lake gets really tough.
    Sad that when the topwater just starts to go off, the lake will be closing. Anyway nice job and tight lines always.
    Now you can move on to San V or El Cap more.........or one day hopefully this year even come down to Murray...ha ha. :)

#3 VinnyBass, Sep 25, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  4. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,938
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Hopefully you get the clouds without the thunder and lightning!

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,938
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    You don't want me coming to Murray, I'd put a hurting on your tulle bass....if I only knew how to fish them! Who put those stupid green sticks in there, weren't there when I was growing up on the lake! You know..back when dinosaurs roamed the shoreline..

6. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,106
    Boat:
    Yes
    Some high wispy clouds early...then hazy sunshine. Caught a 1.5 lb guy on a fluke where they were busting sporadically. Caught a DINKLETTE on a plastic worm in 4 feet of water. That was it...heading back there tomorrow(
    Sunday) Hopefully the fish will be more cooperative. I think the storm yesterday turned them off today.

7. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +27,553
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    8 is very respectable! Above my average! Via text I heard about the thunder storms as I basked in the balminess of Mesa, AZ. :emoji_cold_sweat:

September is not the best time to be on a roof over there!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,938
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Please tell me when it's a good time to work on a roof in Mesa Arizona..2 weeks in January???

9. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +21,279
    The best time to work on a roof in Mesa, Arizona is anytime when you are not the guy doing it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  10. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    Very well done!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +21,279
    Well..........How did you do today?
    Hope you had fun on the last day the lake was open this year. :)

#11 VinnyBass, Sep 26, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,938
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Did you go out with a bang today?

13. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,106
    Boat:
    Yes
    A small bang...report posted.

14. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +27,553
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Believe it or not, they have about 4-5 months of relatively nice weather.

Back to the D&K closer, I went over to say goodbye yesterday evening. I found a school of tiny bass that could not leave my mini-sammy alone. Hooked 4 but only landed one. An 8 incher!