Last minute decision...fished TP

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by Baywolf, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Baywolf

Baywolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,408
    Name:
    Perry
    Made a last minute decision to fish TP yesterday at 12:00. Had no idea what I would find, but I had the time and the gas so I headed out.

Got to the beach and started at lifeguard tower 4 and started walking slowly and casting south. I threw everything I brought with me. Gulp camo, the bugs (KrustEZ), market shrimp and even some sand crabs that I happen to find a patch of.

Walked all the way down to Table Rock with nada...not even a nibble.

On the walk back, I switched over to a LC 110 Ghost Smelt. Made it all the way back to Lifeguard tower 1 and finally hooked a fish. It was a very small flat fish, about the size of my palm. Of course, it popped off as I was trying to get a picture. Can't believe something that small would try and eat the LC. LOL

Anyway, ended the day with a sore arm and a wonderful sunset..

So, I have a some questions for you LC guys:

1. How much is too much when grass is concerned? I would get a strand of grass up to a small wad with every other retrieve.
    2. When the surf is higher like that (Bigger waves and closer together) is it even worth throwing the LC? If so, what is the retrieve pattern for when the surf is pushing it in?
    3. On this particular outing, there were a couple of stretches that the waves broke further out and it was just white water being pushed into shore. I think this would indicate a bar. It was essentially sand. Is that a good place to hunt for halibut?

Thanks guys, and happy Butt Hunting!

TP Sunset 1:15:20.JPG

2. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,593
    That's a long session - at least you saw a fish.
    If I'm pulling up grass, I tend to prefer using a pyramid sinker and soak bait. But I don't catch much fish, so others may have better suggestions.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. perch killer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,625
    I'm no expert on chucking LC's but when I do go hali hunting I try to time my sessions an hour or 2 before or after a tide change when milder surf conditions are forcasted. Churning white water is no good. Try to hit the flat areas after the break to start my retrieve. A few strands of grass shouldn't be a probelm but when the stuff balls up on you or your snagging kelps strands, move on to look for an open spot if possible.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  4. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,388
    Name:
    Eric
    For grass, if it is stopping the lure from swimming with action that it is no good, if it swims for a while and then picks up grass I'll still fish it.
    In bigger waves, I'll time my cast to land right behind a wave as it comes in, take the slack in quick and pull the rod hard to get it to dive to max depth, then retrieve as slow as you can but fast enough to not get tossed in the waves.
    The halibut I've found in the surf were either at the outer or inner edge of the trough. At a rocky beach I look for patches of sand but not a sandbar. No expert here or anything but that's what's worked somewhat for me. Also, the surf is pretty much always dead for me from 11am-3pm, could just be me, but I usually find it worth my effort to fish either around sundown or sunup.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. Bassnbeans

Bassnbeans Fishical Therapist
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,266
    Agree with Easy that if grass is compromising lure action, there isn't much point. If grass is light and lure still works, its up to you how much lure cleaning you want to do.
    Chuck Taylor is a more prolific lure chucker, I think. Maybe he would chime in...

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List