Last minute post (kayak)

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Oscar636, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Oscar636

Oscar636 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +220
    Last minute post but anyone here hitting any of the bays on the kayak?

2. Robo1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +639
    Yes I've been targeting halibut off Z jetty and in front of the C bridge and catching a lot of PITA spotted bay bass but fun fun fun. Sandies starting to bite good in the main channel between the sub base and ammo pier deep in the channel. Keep your head on a swivel I had to blow my whistle at a yacht to avoid a collision. No Joke he was texting while driving. Gilligan. Plan on later this week. Catching a lot of sculpin's also and one nicked the back of my calf ouch but little swelling. Hurt all day and was stiff. Good sized and great fight. Robo

3. Oscar636

Ratings:
    +220
    Yeah people are special out there hahaha glad your safe. I’ve been wanted to target halibut, sand bass and sculpin, I was was suppose to go out this morning but got lazy hahaha hitting the bay from a kayak is new to me so I got to figure it out from square one

4. Robo1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +639
    I like San Diego bay. I drift with the incoming tide usually 2 to 3 hours prior. The trick is finding structures and shelves where it drops off. I like the drop shot on the bottom along with underspin's. It also makes sense to use a little scent. I will pour a little in the resealable packages they come in. I know this old guy who pokes his soft baits with a pin head and he does score some nice halibut. If I don't pick up a halibut in a particular area I will make a move. If I hook up with some shorty's I will peddle back over a spot with the hopes of catching a keeper. I do have a big game clip that works out well. My Hobie PA 14 has a front storage hatch that I will place a bag of ice from the 99 cent store in hopes of success. I've been branching out exploring new spots and having lots of fun. I hope to see you out on the Big Bay. Robo

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Oscar636

Ratings:
    +220
    I have a lifetime tamarack for now just to get me in the water until I save up for a pedal drive, still need to pick up a big game clip just Incase not to sure where I can keep a nice catch onboard, still have to watch out for those fish stealing flea bags lol I’m planning to go out this weekend if boss(wife)/weather permits

6. Oscar636

Ratings:
    +220
    Mines the first on the left odd man out lol

5ABBF48B-A247-45CB-A357-1EFD621B93A7.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Robo1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +639
    I started out with a Lifetime Stealth 11 and upgraded to a Vibe Sea Ghost 130 that I still have for visitors from out of town. I always had admired seeing the ease folks had in Hobie Yaks and decided I would treat myself with no regrets. I did a Colorado float camping trip with my Vibe last Jan. It has a shallower draft than my PA and I'm still not that skilled with the mirage drive coming back in. Just a minor down side that I have to adapt to. Not long ago there was a huge sea lion guarding the entrance to SI boat ramp so I just went amphibious on the little beach next door. I had a couple of lap dances by big halibuts in my Lifetime until I learned to stage them forward between my foot rests. Great morning tides this week and into the next. Enjoy your Yak.

8. Oscar636

Ratings:
    +220
    Hobie pa might be out of the question for me but if been looking into the old town predator pdl hopefully have one by next season, even though paddling is good exercise I would rather have the near effortless joy of fishing a kayak lol. You gotta do what you gotta do lol. I started late in the year for fishing and already lost my 1st legal of the year due to very light line on my bait rod gotta get my redemption lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. cavedog619

cavedog619 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback
    I am. I just picked up my neighbor’s 8ft Vanhunks Whale Runner. I did a morning session on Friday at Liberty Station and scored four spotties. My first time out on a kayak and I’m stoked!

10. Oscar636

Ratings:
    +220
    Dude I’m on my third outing on a kayak and it’s way better than being stuck on shore lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. cavedog619

cavedog619 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback
    I know, right! I’ve sailed and fished most of my life and didn’t know how much I missed the water. I’m thinking on buying my neighbors kayak. I hope he gives me a good deal.

12. Oscar636

Ratings:
    +220
    It’s always been shore and piers for me, I’ve been catching more and also been having better chances at better quality fish as well, I’m able to cover more water and also at a faster pace than walking the shore