Last Straw.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Meezer_Man, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Larry M

Larry M Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +491
    Name:
    Larry M
    I remember the straws that had flavor stripes in them, flavored your milk, chocolate and strawberry.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +855
    Maybe cokeheads will be able to adapt..but this guys screwed...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +260
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    Personal Best Catches:
    5 lb 4 oz bass 4lb 11 oz trout
    I don't either, get brain freeze.

Yesterday was my birthday, went fishing at Lake Dixon and had dinner with the wife.

#23 Meezer_Man, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  4. Larry M

Ratings:
    +491
    Name:
    Larry M
    Yesterday was my birthday, went fishing at Lake Dixon and had dinner with the wife.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't get any better than that.

Happy birthday

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +260
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9
    Personal Best Catches:
    5 lb 4 oz bass 4lb 11 oz trout
    I remember getting thoose for Halloween trick or treat candy.

6. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,226
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I would ... if I only had a ....

Happy Birthday!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. SurfHooks

SurfHooks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +88
    Gotta love the old guy response. What crazy government taking away my plastic straws!

I remember when my grandfather thought it was crazy when they made you wear a seat belt. I think he refused to wear one until the die he died, asbestos killed him in the end. Another pesky little thing that everyone thought was a great material back in the day. Well not so much after all.

I’m not saying plastic straws are asbestos. What I am saying is plastic has its own set of problems, and if you want to play the crotchety old guy and deny that than go ahead. The good news is there are people born every day and one day they will either figure it out or kick the can down the road until the next generation does.

Look plastic can be our friend if managed correctly, I would be willing to bet just about anything that anyone who reads this on this forum has plenty of lures made of plastic. Oh how we love them. I love mine.

I would also bet that most of us have been in a boat some time or another, notice all the plastic in the Ocean. Yeah it’s whole Ocean at this point. We have made a mess out of it in a very short period of time.

What’s the big deal, especially if there is a viable alternative? Afraid McDonald’s is going to take a hit on profits for paying the extra $0.01 per straw. Afraid they are going to pass that cost along to the consumer for your milkshake and soda pop?

Next time you’re sucking down your beer with a plastic straw, yeah that’s right your beer. You can rest weary knowing that one day you will be dead and some one way smarter and less ignorant than you will solve the problem.

If you’re going to complain about buying a thicker bigger plastic bag that you do not reuse and recycle all I have to say is, really? Why not recycle it?

Those of you worried about toilet paper. I would not worry too much about it mankind has survived for a long time without it.

So yeah, ban the plastic straws. Bring on the alternative. Most likely you’re sucking down milkshakes, soda pop and alcohol anyway. All the stuff that makes us unhealthy. Tax all entities that buy straws and put it straight into health care. So my tax dollars don’t go to your diabetic soda sucking straw habit because I choose not to use straws therefore you won’t get my tax nickel.

End rant. Time to go hit the sunset and try to fool some fish into eating my plastic lure.

Tight lines!

8. Larry M

Ratings:
    +491
    Name:
    Larry M
    Nice rant, have you ever considered the damage you are doing to our bays and ocean?
    If you loose your plastic lure in the water and it stays there, chemicals are leeching out of it, the hooks rust polluting the water, if it's stainless steel then it just lays on the bottom almost forever, just another piece of trash in our water systems.
    Maybe the government should ban lures for the safety of us all. Lure pollution may be small, but IMO it's something to consider.
    Think about it while you are throwing that plastic in the water. Helping to ruin the earth for the rest of us.
    Now CPR some fish.

9. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +945
    Most arrogant response award goes to...
    If the environmentally straws don't cost a ton more and are just as effective then I think the free market would embrace them. Why put a ban on plastic straws if there are such great alternatives? If enough people honestly care they will patronize businesses that use these products. I'm all for petroleum alternatives as it keeps gas affordable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. SurfHooks

Ratings:
    +88
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it."

Ferris Bueller

Yes Larry, I labeled myself a hypocrite in my own post. It was intentional. I am working on it.

11. SurfHooks

Ratings:
    +88
    I assume you mean I get the award, where can I pick it up? LOL

I'm not worried about your straw use. You may want to worry about the BPA in your sippy cup though. I'm am not so sure your tin foil hat can protect you from BPA. Perhaps a tinfoil straw will do the trick.

You may want to put me on ignore, I am not good for your stress level.

12. SurfHooks

Ratings:
    +88
    Thanks for the funny rating Larry! I really do mean that.

We probably agree on more than we disagree. You get my point which is to perhaps make you think a bit, even if you disagree. My main point is to bring a little levity to the politics on the forum. I am not under any illusion I will ever change anyone's mind about anything.

I do value your opinion as a veteran and one who has traveled the world.

Sunset session was good yesterday. I actually did very well. All the fish I caught thoroughly enjoyed the plastic I was offering. (Saltwater)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Larry M

Ratings:
    +491
    Name:
    Larry M
    Morning, nothing personal, just trying to make a point. We all can spin any subject to make it sound any way we want it to sound like.
    I like this movie quote :
    Taxi driver "you killed him "
    Hit man "I shot him the bullet killed him"
    Great spin!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +945
    BPA require heat for a period of time to contaminate liquid. My cold drink is fine. I wouldn't stir boiling water with it. Tinfoil may work but if we use it all to make straws what will you make your hats with?

15. EncinitasWomp

EncinitasWomp Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +256

I think your grandfather had a great point; that being a lack of choice in the matter.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +158
    You beat me to it. Yes, straws used to be paper. Also, read about them in a book. ;)

17. SurfHooks

Ratings:
    +88
    You still have the choice. It is a minor infraction and not a life changing fine if caught. You may not have the choice though if you are in a minor crash where the wearing of a seat belt could have saved you from being a vegetable or death.

My grandfather did not have much of a choice when asbestos exposure prematurely took his life though. Perhaps, if they knew more about the harms of asbestos he would of chosen not to be exposed of it.

What a silly thing to argue about, whether you should wear a seat-belt or not.

Worry not, the government has not yet regulated everything. Like I do not think it is illegal to stick your head into a plastic bag of rattlesnakes zip-tied around your neck while you run around 6 inches in front of the TV with scissors in your hand.

18. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,226
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    You do recognize a larger, more critical, point, right? I wore a seat belt before wearing seat belts was cool! Never been without one. But I should not be forced to do so. When are they going to outlaw cigs???

19. SurfHooks

Ratings:
    +88
    Why have any laws at all then? Is that the larger more critical point? Why have drinking and driving laws. Why have laws that say you can or cant have an abortion? I agree that some laws are silly but the law requiring you to wear a seat belt is not one of them.

20. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,226
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    That argument was not well thought out. Both of those laws are for the protection of the innocent. If I am required to wear a seat belt so my body does not fly out of the windshield and kill someone, then that would be more along the same line. Rather the helmet laws and such are designed to legislate a protective bubble around my body, so I don't hurt myself. Entirely different concept.