leaky boat

Discussion in 'Boating & Boat Maintenance' started by bigsticker, Sep 16, 2019.

1. bigsticker

bigsticker Active Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Boat:
    G3
    I have a leak in my aluminum boat that I can't find ( I have tried all the do it yourself methods ) does anyone know of a shop or person I can take it to ?

2. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,395
    How bad is the leak. All boats leak. Just something we all accept.

If seams and rivets are intact...no gouges or gaping holes, you should be fine.....

3. bigsticker

bigsticker Active Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Boat:
    G3
    It leaks very bad thank God for the bilge pumps, I have to use them at least 3 or 4 times a day and when I take it out of the water there is still lots of water in it. I'm assuming its in the seams but can't be sure. Before this it hardly would have any water in it at all

4. bigsticker

bigsticker Active Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Boat:
    G3
    It leaks very bad thank God for the bilge pumps, I have to use them at least 3 or 4 times a day and when I take it out of the water there is still lots of water in it. I'm assuming its in the seams but can't be sure. Before this it hardly would have any water in it at all

5. geofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,395
    If this is out of the ordinary then better get it checked out....

6. Caballito

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +864
    Welded or riveted? Either way you have to pull the decks and go for a quick ride and find the leak. It’s the easiest way to find the leak.

While the decks are off, look for any broken supports and brackets. I’m sure you’ll find them.

If it’s riveted you could probably buck the rivets tight and be ok if that’s what’s leaking.

If it’s welded and you’ve got a crack it’ll needed to be welded. You can only weld clean aluminum, clean on both sides, no oxidation. Most production boats are thin and can’t handle being welded after grinding away the oxidation. So be aware of it.

The reason I’m telling you all of this is because it’s easier to find a welder and have them just weld it, then to find a shop to chase down the leak, do the prep and then take it to a welder. Don’t just find any welder, you need to find one that can weld aluminum, preferably aircraft experience.

I’ve owned a lot of aluminum boats, from little Gregors to a 20’ monster made out of 1/4” plate. I sold my aluminum boat when my welder, Dick at Santee Welding got sick and past away. He was 1 hell of a guy.

Ask away if you have questions along the way.

7. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,104
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    I know this is redundant but I have to ask . Are there any thru hull fittings , hose fittings to bait system , the bait pump , the bait tank or drain even a locker where you have Ice that may be the cause ? Check for any holes that were drilled after construction , corrosion around screws that come thru the hull especially if a stainless screw was not used . Even where the bow hook is bolted through . Is the drain plug rotten or the fitting for it . Fill the boat with water up to the waterline while on the trailer and see where it comes out as a last resort . Good luck ! WR

#7 William Ritchie, Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,571
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    I see your boat is a G3. I’m pretty sure all G3 boats are welded construction. I have a G3 Bass Boat. It leaks too but only out of the live-well. The drain doesn’t keep up with the amount of water I have to pump to keep the fish alive when the water is warm. Maybe that’s where your problem is. Have you tried to run the boat without filling the live-wells to see if it still leaks? I don’t run the live-well when I’m using my G3 in the bays.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,104
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    If you find you need a good weld shop I would contact - Westech Metal Fabrication . The Bjelland family runs a good shop . They built a lot of aluminum products and have a very capable crew . WR

10. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,447
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Mine is dry as a bone. When it did leak it was a hose in the bait tank system.

11. sherpa

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +897
    When I had a leak in my alu boat I filled it with water and looked at the bottom to see where the water was leaking out. They make a heat applied weld stick that works ok. The only way to fix an alu boat is to retighten the rivets, it takes 2 people because you have to back the head while tapping the other end of the rivet. I had a 14’ valco come off the top of my camper on a trip back from Mexico, need less to say it leaked so bad I had to take the drain plug out and run it until the water drained out, then in another 1/2 hour do it again, I got tired of this and scraped it and bought another one. Also you might try that spray seal on the rivets, I saw it at Walmart. If it’s a welded boat you can try having it welded
    , good luck

12. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,461
    Just flex tape the whole thing

13. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +38,996
    Name: