LED light sticks

Discussion in 'Lobster Fishing' started by Dougie67, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Dougie67

Dougie67 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
  2. Paul the Great

Paul the Great Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +321
    These lights have some major good features, but they have a few bad points also.

Here they are; the good news is that they are very bright, the Light Emmiting Diode white light is very bright. You can see it for over a mile, no problem. The glow feature is very bright, better than chemical light sticks. They also blink, as a feature.

The negative feature is that they are not good for saltwater. They short out. Each one Ive used all seized up, got corroded, and broke. I bought a new set, and put them inside plastic bottles. They would just turn off after about 15 minutes or a half hour. They would turn back on if I clicked the rubber button, but then they would eventually turn back off.

My suggestion would be to purchase two or three per trap and have them all on, and when one goes out, at least another one will work. However this is both annoying and expensive, as they are about 5 bucks each from Lowes, and 4 bucks from Wal-mart. Who wants to spend 80 bucks on lights that will not work all night or for more than one trip? Not me.

Last spring I gave up on them. I really like the brightness, but cant handle the high failure rate. I put one chemical and one LED in the same bottle for my last few outings. My last trip, I only used chemical sticks. Cheaper and never fail. Only bright for about 6 hours, which is 2 more hours than I fish anyways.

The "high flyer" that guys have been running is bar none the best rig Ive seen out there. The float is rigged to stand up, with PVC pipe comming out of the top with a light on the top. A ballast is added to the tapered end of the float, therfor the light goes verticle in the air above the surface.

Ive got enough time invested in my unique system, and it works for me, so im not changing it. For guys just beggining or buying new traps, go the high flyer route. Its safe, easy to see and makes the most sence.

3. toyscars

toyscars Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have also tried the led light and have not had any luck with them. Sometime they work and then other times they did not so i gave up on them. Went back to the chem. lights. Would like to find some type of light that way i would not habe to keep buying chem. light because they are not cheap when you are running 10 hoopnets. I have my floats standing up with PVC and light attached to the top and this works real good. Made them myself but they are also selling them now. Any lights idels please drop me a line.

4. Dougie67

Dougie67 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    From above
    The negative feature is that they are not good for saltwater. They short out. Each one Ive used all seized up, got corroded, and broke. I bought a new set, and put them inside plastic bottles. They would just turn off after about 15 minutes or a half hour. They would turn back on if I clicked the rubber button, but then they would eventually turn back off.

That kinda funny because i have used them well over a year at least 1 a week in jugs that have leaked some water into them (the jugs)and all 10 of my lights still work to date on the same batteries??

heres a link to pics sorry it take you to bloody decks
    http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/insho ... aks-3.html

5. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +305
    I agree with paul. After trying the led lights, it's just easier to use a chemical glow stick. They're cheap and never fail. Here is a pic of the high flyer I use. Easy to build and having something to grab when you pull along side makes it much easier.

lobster_buoy1.jpg
    lobster_buoy2.jpg

mick

6. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +305
  7. Paul the Great

Ratings:
    +321
    I wish the LEDs I bought worked. They are brighter. They failed. I will stick to chemicals. I went a couple nights ago and a guy had 10 nets in a line out in the water and 3 of the 10 lights were out, they were the LEDs. Maybe he could turn them back on, maybe they broke, either way, they were off, emmiting no light.

Last time I used them I put a chemical with the LED in the bottle, and most of the time, the LED went out, for whatever reason.

LEDs are awsome, bright, and I like the features (blinking), but I like high percentage things that work all the time more.

Everyone should use what they want and decide for themself. I only offer my observation.

Ill be back at it in a few weeks.

Dougie, Id like to buddy boat with you, or you come with me or I come with you. I will be going Nov 7th to Nov 11th. One or two of those days. I wont ever go on a Fri/Sat again. Too crowded. If you want to plan a day, drop me a line.

8. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +305
    I tried the led lights too. They worked on the first trip but then failed. I agree they were easy to see and really stood out. The green glow stick is the easiest for me to see. I'll stick with that.

mick

9. Paul the Great

Ratings:
    +321
    Mick, can you go on the above dates? One of them?

10. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +305
    I can't do the 11th that's veterans day and a 4 day weekend. D12 is calling and I'll be hunting that weekend. But the 7th or the 9th don't look too bad.

mick