Lee's ferry

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by flyfishinsteve64, Apr 17, 2019 at 6:16 AM.

1. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,366
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    I have a 9 day road trip with the wife starting next Friday. 1st stop lee's ferry. Never been there before could use a lil info. The rest of the trip is unplanned so if you have fishin suggestions for the area or sight to see I would be interested. We will be camping in the van and I'm bringing waders and the Hobie i11s
    Thanks, Steve

2. dooolan

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +890
    There is good trout fishing at Lees Ferry. Not sure about access but this guide has some cool pics to give you an idea.

Leesferryonthefly.com

3. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,366
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    There is walk in access somewhere. It won't be hard to find. At least the one's that everybody knows about. Their killing all the Brown trout from what I've read and leaving and stocking Rainbows. Looking forward to catching a rainbow with trimmed fins. Not! Hopefully I won't catch any of those. I've heard and seen video's of some decent fishin. Got to check it out. I will let you guy's know what I find.

4. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,072
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    It has been a while since I have been there , have been there
    many times , used to make a annual pilgrimage . River tends to be really low in the AM . As the day wears on and power usage surges in the surrounding area the water rises quite rapidly can be 4 to 6 feet deeper in the afternoon that in the morning . When the water starts to move and you see the small bits of moss And the water just start to change color is usually when the bite starts . I do not remember any walk in access and the current even in the calmer spots runs about 6 KTS .There is a boat in camp at about nine miles from launch that has a 90 Degree bend that does give a little back eddy . When I took my 17 foot Gregor there we would have to get out and walk it thru the shallows at about 1.5 miles from launch in the morning . The canyon is beautiful and it is truly the only place I can honestly say I had a 100 fish days . San Juan Worms , Dark sculpin pattern , Egg patterns , Dark bead head woolly bugger . even an all black gall fly sort of like a maribou jig with a tiny head for weight . All dead drifted with the current from a boat . Good luck to you , but if you have a fairly light shallow draft boat Bring it . Its about 13 miles from launch to the dam . Bill

#4 William Ritchie, Apr 17, 2019 at 4:16 PM
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 4:27 PM
  5. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,366
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    Thanks William that's good info about the bits of moss and changing water color. I will remember that. Makes sense.
    No boat this trip but I will have waders and a hobie i11s. Thanks for the tips

6. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,072
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Right at lees Ferry proper the small launch area is just a couple hundred feet up river from a cable crossing with a sign that says don't go beyond this point unless you are prepared for several days on the river , sort of the point of no return the next pull out is Pierce Ferry at the upper end of Lake Meade . Just saying , be carefull . I have heard but have not fished the area , that the Marble Canyon to the south has some good wading access . Never caught a Brown in the area but there used to be some world class Brookies in there . Again best of luck .

#6 William Ritchie, Apr 17, 2019 at 5:12 PM
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019 at 4:36 AM
  7. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +32,045
    Boat:
    3 too many
    The two trails I can remember are the Spencer trail (the part by the river, though I have heard the view from the rim is spectacular), and the waterhole canyon tribal area. Pretty sure one of my neighbors growing up used to camp at waterhole and fish the river there..