Legal Halibut from shore

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by fishingmissionbay, Oct 14, 2019.

1. fishingmissionbay

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,392
    Boat:
    Alger West 17
    Took the pop-up camper for a little “stay-cation” at Silver Strand State beach on Coronado. (The campground sucked, but the beach was nice)

Was able to sneak in a little 1 hour session in the AM when the tide was working up to a high. It was like casting into a lake.

Worked a luckcraft changing up the retrieve every handful of casts. Managed a couple stingrays, two short Halibut, and one BARELY legal flatty which was released to grow bigger.

I highly recommend fishing that stretch of beach if you haven’t already. Super fishy area, lots of bait in the water, and almost no crowds to deal with.

I missed a handful of short bites, but I think most were from rays screwing with my bait.

7ABDBD84-8A48-4334-A4A0-05713D095BCF.jpeg

5B5A2B85-CB0F-4324-B3F9-5F9FFE051115.png

2. perch killer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,551
    Very nice. Fished there a few years back & agree a very nice place to hit up if doing an overnight campout. The parking fee just not worth it for short sessions.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. Baywolf

Baywolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +890
    Name:
    Perry
    What is the parking fee, and is there any roadside parking that you can use and still reach the beach?

4. fishingmissionbay

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,392
    Boat:
    Alger West 17
    Not sure on parking fee but probably 10-15 bucks with lots to park at all up and down the strand . Didn’t see any road side parking in that area but There’s gotta be some close by. I’d just bite the bullet and pay the fees. DONT camp there tho, it’s a parking lot that they charge over 60 bucks a night at. Literally just big parking spots to camp on with very grumpy park rangers .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. Baywolf

Ratings:
    +890
    Name:
    Perry
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to get over there and take a look next time I'm out to Coronado Base.

6. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,844
    Name:
    Larry M
    Baywolf
    I can't remember how far the Silver Strand State Beach is from the military housing. But maybe you can get more information about parking there.
    We went to our grandson's baseball game there once and there was parking on the bay side right next to the ball field if you wanted to fish the bay.
    I'm not sure but maybe you could ride a bike to the state beach and they wouldn't charge you. Kinda like going to Torrey Pines State Beach if you are walking in, maybe.
    The State Beach also has a bay side park, there is a tunnel that goes over to the beach side.

7. Baywolf

Ratings:
    +890
    Name:
    Perry
    Thanks Larry M. I checked with base security about fishing the beach on base. No go. The entire shore line on base is off limits to fishing. Kind of frustrating since there is a base fishing pier (on NASNI) and a very nice swimming beach that is in front of the Navy lodge. In fact, when we stayed on the lodge, my mouth was watering when I saw all that perfect surf. Then found out that “no fishing is allowed”. Bummed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,894
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Only asking because you would know. I have been asked if it's legal to fish off the zuniga jetty from the base side? I imagine it is VERY unlikely, figured I would ask someone who might know..

9. Baywolf

Ratings:
    +890
    Name:
    Perry
    I can’t speak with certainty Coach, but I would say no. I’ll check for sure on my next trip out, but from what I was told, the entire shore line is off limits to fishing (or even walking) with the exception of the pier. I know they have the shoreline posted on both sides of the pier, so you can’t even stand on the shore next to the pier and fish.
    There is even a buffer zone that is off limits off shore. The other day we saw a boat trying to come near shore to drop lobster pots and a navy gun boat came and chased them out.

10. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,894
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Thank you Baywolf .. appreciate it

11. Hirame

Hirame BUTTHEAD
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,329
    Pops and I used to slay flatties there along with bugs and crab. Dana used to have a reciever and we would get a half scoop of chovies and take them there. After someone got hurt, they wouldn't let anyone fish there

12. g20zoom

g20zoom Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +164
    I recall some Rodney M halibut vids and peoples comments seemed to think it was on base. It was from shore somewhere in SD. So for the Coronado base, you can only fish the pier?
    Can someone with a military ID get friends on base? have been wondering if I can find some low pressure fishing spots?

Oh...I cant link it but I just found there’s another thread on NAB showing the in n outs of base spots.

#12 g20zoom, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Baywolf

Ratings:
    +890
    Name:
    Perry
    I wouldn’t call the NASNI Pier, low pressure. Actually, I was quite surprised to see how much fishing is done there. It gets a lot of pressure from the group of regulars that fish it almost daily, and then there is the occasional fishermen who round it out. It’s really a small, narrow pier and is not positioned well for fishing. It’s original use was to tie up navel ships and was opened to fishing by the base commander years ago. It’s important to note that it is not in the best condition either. The rail is very rusted and has sharp jagged pieces. It’s even completely rusted through in places. Not a great place for kids.
    BUT, it means an awful lot to the old timers who served our country and totally enjoy having a place to gather, reminisce and relax. They don’t complain or bring attention to the condition of the pier, because they know that the military’s knee jerk reaction will be to just put it off limits and shut it down. So, please be mindful of this if you visit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Chazzman

Chazzman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +178
    Yeah, at least one of Rodney’s vids is at Smuggler’s Cove. Looks like a good spot if you can get on base.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. HopTag

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +517
    I fished that pier several years ago and it was packed every time I went. There is deep water and good fishing but it was open to contractors and others that have access to the base.

16. Fritzy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,186
    I remember pre 9/11 fishing San Diego Bay over by the Seaplane Ramps and it was not a problem. In fact one time my outboard crapped out and I drifted to shore and nobody even approached me....fast forward a few years and even gettin within fifty yards I was met by a fast boat with large caliber automatic weaponry trained on me....I got the message loud and clear.

#16 Fritzy, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List