Legal poaching at San V

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by bluegillman, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +62,687
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Someone needs to invent a time machine and go back 40 years and prevent all the bass from being eaten that caused all that sterility, birth defects, and insane cancer rates that killed all those people..

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. contium

contium Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +26
  3. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,424
    That fish was actually 9lbs 11oz. and I ate it.
    20161023_132959.jpg

I sell the other 4 buckets worth of bass to my neighbors on a regular basis. it has allowed me to upgrade from my float tube to a nice bass boat.
    20161015_134320.jpg

Last week I hurt the fish so bad at San V they had to call the whaaaambulance.
    20161022_180914.jpg

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. Str8up

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +232
    Boat:
    Any that I can get o
    I don't understand why anyone would want to eat a large mouth bass. Don't they know there is an entire ocean filled with better tasting fish right in our backyard?

5. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +62,687
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Don't all these bass fishermen know that fast growing bass are easier to catch, fight harder and healthier to eat also? Is any bass fisherman in so cal aware that LMB are listed as an environmentally damaging introduced pest by nearly every agency authorized to do so? Doesnt seem like it.. just saying

6. bluegillman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +589
    Name:
    Aqualung
    Well, the evidence is pretty telling. My kids and I went from 40-fish days just a few weeks ago to 20-fish days a couple weeks ago, and then 4-6-fish days a week ago and got skunked the last couple visits.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the dozens of people we see walking out with stringers and buckets full of beautiful bass.

But hey... at least we're "trimming the herd"!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,174
    Some good points. But...
    Tilapia? That's just nasty. You have no idea where those fish come from. Tastes great but i just...can't...after seeing the episode of Dirty Jobs...they use tilapia in the sewage treatment ponds out in I.V.
    There are too many bass in our local water tanks. Not my opinion; that's from every biologist who has ever weighed in.
    We don't need to stock bass. Their rates of reproduction are impacted by fluctuating water levels. When the water tanks stay full for a few years the bass become stunted.
    Ya gotta understand, the 'sport' of bass fishing was invented to make money. Bass are relatively stupid fish but hardy and can survive being caught over and over. The 'sport' of bass fishing was invented by people who wanted to make money selling fishing tackle.
    If you want to make money you need to sell tackle to fishermen in every state. More people fish for catfish, but the tackle needed to catch them is basic. The hooks, sinkers, bobbers etc. that you bought ten years ago work just fine.
    You can't build a fishing retail empire selling gear for catfish, walleye or shad or muskie or pike. Or even trout or crappie. The potential customer base just isn't there because these kinds of fish can't flourish - or at least survive - in all fifty states.
    Bass fishing is a business. Before FLW, Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's and the rest, trout were the sport fishing thing. Bass were rough fish that happen to be tasty, too. Don't take my word for it...look at outdoor magazines from the sixties and earlier.
    I agree with you that sight fishing is not particularly sporting. But bass fishing is a business, pure and simple. There are too many bass in our local reservoirs; if someone eats an 8 pounder there are a hundred two pounders waiting in the wings. Not my opinion--that's what every fisheries biologist will tell you.
    The only things that keeps our bass population from overrunning natural food supplies?
    Fluctuating water levels in our water tanks...and having lots of stocker trout to munch on.
    Your son won't run of bass. Ask yourself how long it's been since bass were stocked in any reservoir you fish. They're basically swimming cockroaches. Only they taste better...probably.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,559
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    Lol rofl

9. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,559
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    Nice!!!

10. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,559
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    I may have got skunked on Saturday but this thread is really making me feel a lot better!! keep it up.

11. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +62,687
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Catch and release only fishing combined with excessive fishing effort yields bass that don't grow efficiently, stunt quickly, and are difficult to catch. The reason that bass in the Imperial Valley are easy to catch and are all fat (except where ridiculously stunted, grr) is simple. They drain the canals and reservoirs just about dry, so most areas seem to have severe fish kills in early summer that appear to remove around 40% of the fish population (my untrained guess after 30 plus years fishing the place) , so the fish out there basically are forced to grow at the maximum rate and eat like crazy all the time.. Makes things easy when you can find them, the fish are in great condition, taste awesome and fight hard.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. tsugg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,559
    Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    alumacraft 165
    Did you just admit to catching and eating bass!!? (Therefore you are a bass fisherman) Lol I wouldn't kid you if I didn't love all your posts!!

13. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +62,687
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Lol.. I keep bleeder fish whenever legal. If it's the only fish I have, yes, I will fry up a bass. I don't really prefer fishing for them if other targets are available, and I don't prefer eating them if other fish are available. That said, more than half the bass I accidentally catch on bait end up gut hooked if I don't use circle hooks, so yes, I have eaten a few in my time, lol

14. gnohs

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +411
    Friendly reminder that lmb are actually among the least fun things to fish for when using species appropriate equipment. Especially florida strain. The companies selling you expensive gear have just convinced you that targeting lmb is some kind of special pure form of fishing. If anglers in the USA weren't brainwashed into hating carp or if stripers, redfish or a variety of other species existed in more regions, people would care a lot less about lmb. The reality is that decades ago, the fancy folk in the US were trout fishermen and the rednecks were bass fishermen. It turned out that it was easier to monetize bass than trout. And here we are.

15. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,838
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    WHAT? Using tilapia in sewer treatment ponds in the IV? Which city? I doubt they intentionally put tilapia in sewer treatment ponds if there are any at all but if one did get in there he would have a field day. All the algae and oxygen he would need to grow big and strong. Same with carp.

16. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,174
    Dirty Jobs is a tv show about...well in this episode they were cleaning sludge out of long concrete tanks in th desert. And the job required the removal of carp and tilapia. Which got me to thinking....when you buy tasty tilapia in a store, do you know where it came from? Not a sludge pond...we hope....but maybe from a fish farm. And if you saw that pond...it might not be the kinda water you'd envision when you want to harvest for a fish fry.
    I kept a 3 pound bass outta Mission Trails once. It was delicious..but tried not to think about what was upstream.....

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. spideyjg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,235
    - An unbeliever! - Persecute. Kill the heretic!

18. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +62,687
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Mogambo , check out the episode if you can find it, dirty jobs was an interesting show... Lol

carpkiller , most tilapia in the store for cheap comes from farms in China. They take human sewage and let it grow a special strain of algea that gets very long filaments. This material gets pelletized and fed to the tilapia grown after the same water gets semi treated and put into surface ponds.. Yikes

19. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,838
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    Yes, I like that show but didn’t see that episode. For awhile Kent Seatec, at the north end of the Salton Sea, was growing a cross between white bass and stripers (swipers) in highly oxygenated circular tanks with lots of current. They were fed a pelleted food. The water, high in fish $hit, was constantly exchanged for fresh well water. The old water went to aeriated cells to rapidly grow algae. That water was then siphoned off to another pond where they grew market tilapia. I think there are still some fish farms north of Mecca where they use hot spa water to regulate the water temperature and grow tilapia for market using commercial fish food all year long.

20. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,174
    Wow. He said what I said...in 1/3 the number of words.