legalization is for the rich...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by old_rookie, Jan 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roncador

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,429
    You need hentai lol? Ever hear about the no fap 90 day challenge? Lol jk.

2. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +10,791
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    I thought that was only for November hahaha

3. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,403
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14
    WEAKLINGS!, I’ve mastered the art "the no fap challenge" through years of abstinence in secluded wilderness temples, surrounded by only the finest waifus and loli hentai. BRING ME A MORE WORTHY CHALLENGE!

4. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,332
    How about staying a bit closer to the topic??

5. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,741
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Man.. Dunno what the deal is with you the last few days.. sheesh.. Lol

6. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,741
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I guess.. Yikes

7. Ordane

Ordane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +188
  8. Big Willy Style

Big Willy Style Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +282
    The people voted, users of a substances like alcohol, prescription drugs, weed, whatever will always find it. A few people will always have issues with anything. At least legalization brings regulation in which you can expect a certain level of quality and safety in a product. Leave it illegal and it is illegally made and you don't know what you are getting. I relate reading this entire thread to the crazy tide pool lady. She thinks she is so right that she can dictate your life, and no amount of logic can fight an illogical argument. To each their own and I don't need to be a part of someone else's personal decisions, I have enough going on that I do not feel the need to tell others how to live.

9. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,931
    "Also most in treatment for marijuana are there by court order or at employers request. They got caught with pot or failed a piss test and there boss gave them a choice. Only a small percentage are there because there life is in shambles."

I'm not sure where you got this information, but it wasn't from a credible source like treatment facility..... Oh yeah..... Like where my WIFE WORKS!

I'm going to concede to your statement that marijuana isn't the gateway drug. You say the gateway drug is alcohol. Most people don't associate alcohol with the title "drug", but for arguments sake, lets.

Since most homes across America have alcohol in some form in them, it's safe to assume that the misdirected juvenile will at some point give it a shot. He/she will be peer pressured into it. Or they may be compelled strictly by curiosity. Either way, it will more than likely be their first experience consuming/ingesting/experimenting with some sort of substance that is a cognitive inhibitor. The mystery isn't "how" is the the gateway drug. The real question is "why" is it the gateway drug. It's the gateway drug for no other reason than its availability and accessibility. It's not illegal, and it's readily available for purchase in multiple forms, and in multiple levels of potency and many locations locally.

If this is true, then marijuana is the #2 most popular/abused drug in the "chain of command". Why? Because of it's accessibility and availability. Was it illegal.... Yes. But the charges and sentences imposed for possession for personal use were minimal. The reason marijuana was #2 on this list was the same reason alcohol was #1- it's accessibility and availability. It's not a designer drug that needs to be chemically composed in a laboratory. It's a plant (a weed) that can be nurtured with fertilizers and optimal light sources to yield maximum production. When I was smoking weed, I NEVER had an issue getting my hands on any. I even had people that would make house calls and deliver it. It was available whenever I wanted it. It was READILY accessible.

The other designer drugs need to be manufactured and sold in the ultra black market. I'm not even going to focus on those.

My point is this..... If you admittedly state that alcohol is the gateway drug, and the reason that it's the gateway drug is because of it's availability and accessibility. But now marijuana is just as available and accessible. And if alcohol (according to you) is a drug, then marijuana is most definitely a drug. A drug is any substance ingested, injected, or inhaled that alters cognitive behaviors. Marijuana is definitely a drug.

But now that marijuana is as accessible as alcohol, will it tip the scale? Will it even the playing field? You seem to think that one of the reasons that people move on to harder drugs is because marijuana was so hard to get before. Because it was illegal. This forced back alley drug deals where the buyers were compelled/persuaded to try something harder by the shady dealers that sell more than just marijuana. That's exactly what you said in an earlier thread. So if you philosophy is true, and the legal issues have been eradicated, and the accessibility to clean, legal marijuana is an open door, then we should see a DECLINE in hard drug usage.

Time will tell my friend. But I think what you're going to see will be an increase in auto accidents and an explosion of business for treatment facilities. You won't see a dime of benefit from the taxes, because the banks are federally insured. And since marijuana is still a controlled substance federally, no banks will handle money from the pot shops. So it's a cash only business for now. And lets be honest, do you think the people who run these pot shops are model citizens? They're on the "honesty" system for reporting their income. Since it's cash, it can't be tracked. So you won't see any benefits from this regarding state taxes, because they're never going to report the actual amount that they sell. Less taxes equals more money in their pockets.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  10. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,517
    A crackhead was gonna be a crackhead regardless...if heroin and crack etc didn’t exist people would be getting high off of paint and prescriptions...I guess my concern is that just because mj was a problem for you and your habits(speaking generally) shouldn’t be a reason for you to try to stop me from enjoying my life..I don’t have an issue with weed..you do...gateway drug is a loaded term used to scare people...I don’t care if it is a gateway drug...it’s not for me..so work out your own issues and let me do what I do

11. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,114
    Name:
    Kyle
    Wow, what a dialogue here. What I don't get about CA (I am a new resident) is why are the poaching laws so strict here. I mean I am anti-poaching and agree that fines are necessary, but jail time for keeping a giant sea bass (up to 6 months for a fish!) Sorry to derail the topic, but just had to get that off the chest.

Pot will always be there, may as well make it legal and make it very expensive for DUIs. Never acceptable to put other's lives at risk on the road.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I'm unapologetic about my past. I can't change it. But it equipped me to tackle and defend my stance regarding the aforementioned topic. I'm 43 years old. I spent the majority of my 20's indulging in drugs. Am I weak? Is that why I experimented with harder stuff looking for the next best high. That high never comes. It's called "chasing the dragon". I'm actually strong. I'm strong because I recognized the patterns and destructive behaviors, and I changed them. I blame NO ONE or NO THING for my drug use. There's only one person to blame. ME! But having those experiences and overcoming them, coupled with my age, and coupled with the fact that my wife is in the industry (thus we discuss in DETAIL what we are discussing now)- this gives me a leg up over the average person.

Lets be intellectually honest with each other. Of all the information there is to be known in the universe, what percentage of it would you say that you know? If you said you know 1% of 1% you would be GROSSLY overestimating your guess. Anyone can read books and gain knowledge. But not everyone has wisdom. By definition, wisdom is applied knowledge. And only TIME and EXPERIENCE permits you to apply knowledge to gain wisdom. This is a FACT. If I'm older than you, your life experiences may look different than mine, but it's IMPOSSIBLE that they exceed mine.

What would a NASCAR driver say if someone with a learners permit told them they didn't know what they were doing- or they were a crappy driver? I would NEVER tell you how to live your life. You can do what you want to do. But as a former user of the drug you're defending, I can say with with confidence that I know where the usage can lead. Will it happen to you? Will you go to harder drugs? Maybe not. But maybe so. Knowing that even the POTENTIAL for this to take place might exist, I would be remiss for not warning you. As a matter of fact, I would have to hate you to not say anything. But I don't. I care for your future, and thus I share my story, and my experience in hopes that you will CONSIDER what I've said. Time will tell if your theory pans out. Trust me when I tell you that I WANT to be wrong about this. I want to be wrong about the accidents, the increase in usage of marijuana, the increase in the need for treatment, and the increase in harder, designer drug usage. But I don't think I am.

I want you to be honest with yourself and ask yourself this question. How has marijuana made my life better? Do I plan to smoke it for my entire life? Could I set it down right now, and walk away from it forever if I wanted to? You don't need to answer these publicly.

Listen guys..... I'm concerned for your health. I'm not trying to one-up you or be right. Like I said, I WANT to be wrong. That being said, I will say no more regarding this topic. I've said my piece, and it's all I can do.

13. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,517
    It’s not that deep for me..has marijuana made my life better? I don’t think about that because it hasn’t played a roll on where I’m at...and I disagree with your being older having more knowledge on the topic..age isn’t a factor..experience is..weed is not some mysterious dark substance..it’s just like anything else out there...people eat too many hamburgers they might become obese..drink to much soda diabetes may be in their future..people who tend to think of marijuana as a gateway drug are usually people who smoked pot than got into heavy drug use...but again if you’re looking for a high than any drug you try first will be a “gateway drug”...I just think the term gateway drug itself is ridiculous...no such thing in my opinion..

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I think you're muddling the difference between what the term gateway drug is. Most of the people in recovery won't tell you they blame marijuana for their addiction. They say it started with marijuana. It's like running a race. You run a race to win a prize. But every race has a starting point. But you don't run the race for the start. And you don't blame the start if you lose the race.

You're also missing the point about "knowledge". What makes someone a good driver? Experience behind the wheel of a car. So someone with a learners permit would be foolish to think they are a better driver than someone who's been driving for 2 or 3 decades. The same principle applies to life. I'm not taking about knowledge on 1 subject. I'm talking about knowledge in general. It takes time to acquire knowledge. And time is something I have on you. I'm not saying this to demean or belittle you. Don't let your emotions dictate your response. I'm not challenging your character, and I'm not saying that you don't have a level of knowledge pertaining to life in general. As men get older, they fight less and shrug their shoulders more. They get tired of fighting and wasting energy over things that would have infuriated them 15 years earlier. This is the evolution of the mindset in men as they age. There will come a time when you will do the same thing. But until then, learn from all men- even if what not to do. And conclude you know more than a lot of people, and a lot of people know more than you.

15. kyle12345

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,114
    Name:
    Kyle
    This is intense for a fishing forum!

I too will say my piece. It's time we treat drug abuse for what it is, a mental health issue. People abuse drugs for a myriad of reasons but many times it's an undiagnosed bipolar, depression, schizophrenia, etc. Back where I am from alcoholism is rampant and barely recognized as an issue. Lost too many people close to me to not acknowledge alcohol as the dangerous drug it is. Frankly more so then pot. Does this mean pot is healthy, well no, but neither is booze. I wish we spent more money addressing mental health or I am sure many of those I lost may still be alive.
    Until we really address these issues I will always support pot, for many it's their only hope...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,517
    You're making alot of assumptions about me but its understandable being on the world wide web...regardless I still disagree with your notion that time on earth makes you more knowledgeable... Maybe in areas youve spent a majority of your time in you may be more knowledgeable but knowledge as a whole is a different thing..maybe I had the crash course at life and things you were learning at 15 I had already experienced...I'll never claim to know it all but in the topic at hand I consider myself well versed..I'm not muddling the term gateway drug...regardless of what people in treatment may say, when the term gateway drug is thrown around to outsiders, what they perceive it as is a starting point to hard drugs..when technically that may be the case...its the first drug you got your hands on before you moved on...its not the reason you moved on...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,931
    The human brain (on average) processes 400 billion bits of information per second, but we are only aware of 2000 of those. Only 2000 can be categorized as cognitively recognizable. So lets focus in on the smaller number; the cognitive number. This is 2000 bits per second. That means you cognitively process 120,000 bits per minute, 7.2 million per hour, 172,800,000 per day, and over 63 billion per year. These are cognitive processes that include directed energy (movement, both conscious and subconscious) and thought, as well as storing experiences in memory. Lets say you are 25 (hypothetically) and I am 43 (and I really am) and say we were born in the same month (October). That would make me 18 years older than you. That would mean that I have processed 1.136 trillion bits of information MORE than you. Numbers aren't ambiguous.

You said I made a lot of assumptions about you. So aside from the text regarding acquired knowledge and information, please tell me about the other assumptions I've made about you.

18. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,517
    Wow...hahha...again if you’re processing useless information and I’m processing useful information that doesn’t matter..

19. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,931
    You win.

20. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,517
    :emoji_trophy::emoji_trophy::emoji_clap::emoji_clap:...hahha