Let’s see those tricked out rod DIY rod holders

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by MaxZmus, Jun 20, 2020.

1. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,284
    I need to build one that can accommodate 8-12 rods. Let’s see what everyone is rocking out there.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. bassfisherman619

bassfisherman619 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78
    Only 8-12? Why so little?

3. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,284
    Because I don’t think I can make all 70 fit.

B729D130-DA60-4DFA-B03F-A6C6ABAFB8D2.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  4. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,716
    Boat:
    It floats
    I started out tubing at 12 years old, 1 rod. Then 10 years later, 2 rods. Barrett got me up to 4 at one point, but now close to 40 years old, I realized 2 work with a spare in in truck. I couldn’t imagine 8-12 on a tube. I’ve seen some crazy stuff at Barrett.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  5. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,284
    When the crankbait bite was on fire I had 12 rods. 5 on the side rack, 5 tucked in the back compartment, one laying across my
    lap and one in hand. There was simply no time to retie. If they popped up and you had to cut off your worm and tie on a spook the school is long gone. You have to be able to just pick up a rod with the right bait and fire it out in a split second. I like catching more than fishing. Plus I like it when other anglers compliment my super expensive gear and stroke my ego. By the way I should have way more likes for posting my rods. This is social media isn’t it? J/k LMAO!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  6. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,716
    Boat:
    It floats
    I get it for sure. I look like I’m opening a rod shack on my boat but found it personally easier to deal with less on the tube. I got plenty of compliments on my my home made tig welded aluminum 4 rod holder at the b. I feel ya though on having it right there when needed. I can also bite and tie an SD knot or rapala not in the dark or in a blink. The only one that slows me down is an fg knot.

cant wait to see some of these rod holders this year. Only at Barrett, I never see them anywhere else

7. filippo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback 2016
    Skip a custom rod holder from PVC/ABS. It's just too bulky and heavy. Do yourself a favor and get a Castmate! SUPER light and customizable. 1 can easily hold 4-6 rods. If you want more, then add 1 Castmate per each side of your float tube. I really liked my custom made rod holder, but what a night and day difference switching to a Castmate... no, I don't work for them. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  8. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,140
    One for each A-rig.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,284
    I actually tried looking for the Castmate but They don’t seem to be a available anymore. It seems like the company went out of business. It also gonna cost me an arm and a leg to get 8 rod holders. It’s like $100 for the main rack that comes with only 2 rod holders and they wanted $30 for each additional holder, so for a guy like me that wants at least 8 I’m looking at well over $200 just for a rod holder.

10. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,771
    I'd recommend putting one thing in your tube....Occam's razor.

Dude...BUY SOME DECENT LINE FOR CRAP'S SAKE. :)

If they popped off....why are they popping off? Are you throwing 2 pound crankbaits? Nope. You're using crappy line. Quit using that boutique **** advertised as "castable." It's like Budweiser's whole campaign that their beer is "drinkable." Yep, that was an actual ad campaign...so stupid I almost quit drinking bud. Almost.

I have some 20 year old, Yo-Zury Hybrid 4 that WILL NOT BREAK on the cast. yeah, it has memory so ya gotta pay attention if you're using it on spinning gear. But it's either that or put ten rods on a float tube. Hmm. (Occam's razor.)

See the three lures in my avatar? 1/4 and 3/8 oz leadheads. Casting for seven hours....50 spotties and a bonefish. Not one single re-tie. Zero breakoffs. One rod had YZ 4, the others had Izorline XXX in 6 and 8 lb test. Okay, so the spotties were all small, but they were toothy. Was lucky in that they were all lip-hooked...after each fish, check the line for fraying and kept casting.

Lures popping off is a weak rationalization.

Now if you just WANT to carry a dozen rods on the tube with you...I totally get that.

-the CKing of weak rationalization.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. filippo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Boat:
    Hobie Outback 2016
    Fund it by selling few of your rods :). I know it gets expensive but totally worth it in my opinion. Truly the best investment for a float tube! When I bought mine I repented not buying it sooner.

https://www.floattubefishing.com/float-tube-accessories/castmate/

12. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,716
    Boat:
    It floats
    I weld, so fab is no worries and some tuna cord to secure but I made some killer holders out of schedule 40 pvc, just don’t throw your tube around, it will snap a holder here and there. , my aluminum holder is way lighter than my pvc

13. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,799
    He said "popped up" not "popped off". But still should not need that many rods. Have 1 rod ready with your favorite lure for busting bass at Barrett, won't need 12 rods for that. Spook works for that but an old fashioned spoon does also and casts further. And there are snaps that make changing lures even faster than retying, for any lure that is retrieved fast, a snap will not make any difference in catch rate. I fish with 5 rods and often don't even use all 5. Breakoffs are usually due to the wrong knot or abrasion on the line so check the line often. My experience is that knots that have the line go thru the eye twice don't break off (with the exception of the Palomar which is critical to tighten right).

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,284
    I didn’t mean lures popping off. I meant you have to be ready when the fish pop up and you have to have the right bait ready. I remember your post, “ Confessions of a YoZuri Ho”. It was that post that inspired me to try it and I absolutely love it. Love it so much I bought two 3lbs spools of the 12lbs test. It should last a lifetime. I agree I don’t need 12 rods all the time but I do use 7-8 on a regular basis.

15. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,771
    Ohhh. Reading comprehension...i USED TO have it.
    Yeah. Now i feel almost as stupid as when i seea baitball go off....and all 3 rods have different kinds of plastics....and the spoon isn't ready to go...because I just HAD to cut it off to try a ned rig or something.

16. MaxZmus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,284
    116CA224-28C3-4708-8C0D-E247505C1364.jpeg Just wanted to finish up this thread since I started it. Behold Da-Zooka!

F01E3664-E1CF-471B-ACEA-80EBB46A0899.jpeg
    90C390B3-ECF7-4331-8A7B-164AA34BD999.jpeg
    2EA41244-F98E-4FD6-8FBC-98D623BC95CC.jpeg

I was gonna drill holes and put a ringed bolt through the it and use carabiners to attach to the D-rings but I found some mattress straps that made it much easier.

03C0DA4A-D115-40E2-9DC4-182DED0A8AF9.jpeg

A88A37CD-05E8-4B33-8E46-9B254B9C10C8.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. MaskedFisherDUDE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +881
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,183
    Nice rack and new whip too! Ok, that didn’t sound right.. ha! But thanks for carrying a few extras for me....

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. camobass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,716
    Boat:
    It floats
    You’re gonna be listing to the port hard

20. seanm

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +212
    You putting another one in the other side?