Liberty station yak shake down

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Fins in the Bin, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,677
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    My son sold his house and moved to Arizona so he gave me back my old Hobie outback. I'm bummed about that but happy that he got out. I have also had a skiff in the shop since end of December which means I haven't fished since November so getting the Yak back sounded great to me. Last week I read another post about mellow areas to paddle board and was reminded by DJ of the NTC channel and since I didn't know much about this Hobie I decided to launch there in case something didn't work out. Good thing I did as the rudder on it kept slowly lifting out of the water as I was paddling so the steering was not good to start and eventually the Kayak would whip a hard left "U" turn the faster I went. As you can imagine this made a very long trip to get anywhere as I had to use the oars and the foot peddle to fight each other but chalked it up to much needed exercise and put fishing on the back burner. IMG_1360.jpg I wanted to post this as a reminder of how bad things go south because I really wanted to go launch at La Jolla(imagine trying to get in through the surf like that, all my gear would have been dumped) but luckily I decided to keep it mellow for the shake down. Fishing was slow, I got 1 8" SBB on a Z man Diesel, 1 12-13" on a camo jerk and a 10" on Nuclear chicken jerk.

2. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,512
    I was in that area the other day at the minus. Slowish. There was a guy in a kayak cruising in front of me, was scootin. Then I noticed his hands and feet were not moving lol(trolling motor)

3. sdsurfguy

sdsurfguy Active Member

Ratings:
    +20
    If I didn't value our weather because of my love for fishing, tennis, family here, etc I would have packed up and moved to Nevada years a go. It's still on my mind. As for SBB I have some friends that are killing them in the
    South Bay on their yaks. During winter they move towards the back of the bay. Fix that yak before you take it out again. lol

4. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,677
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    I'll either fix it or be the guy in the middle of south bay just doing left turns.

5. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,991
    Liberty Station is definitely a great place for a shakedown cruise. Definitely better than the surf or the open bay atleast, for sure lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. myahk

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +823
    pretty sure I saw that guy out there too
    Definitely a slow day

7. blackcloud9

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,516
    Boat:
    Hobie Revolution
    Did you lock the Hobie rudder in the down position? This is critical for the rudder to stay in place for a day of fishing but not obvious first time out. When you lower the rudder using the "down" pull-line, be sure to LOCK THE "DOWN" CORD IN PLACE using the clip located under the netting beside/below your right knee. Hope that helps ...

20210118_120154.jpg

8. Noms

Noms Dirty taco maker
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,703
    Name:
    Angel
    Boat:
    15 gregor tin can
    Liberty is really hit or miss for the me. The last year had more misses than usual. How busy was the water?

9. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,677
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    This model is the Hank Parker and it was before the locking mechanism came around (one of my other Hobies had that string lock and it worked great. this one is a handle much like the steering handle and either its rolled up and flat or dropped down. IMG_1363.jpg

10. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,677
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Funny you ask, when I got there around 8ish I backed my truck down to the water to unload but when I came in around 11:00 it was packed with everybody and there brother on anything that floated! I had to haul it all through the parking lot due to all the kids running around and not wanting to back over them