License

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by AllThingsKnotical, Apr 22, 2019.

1. AllThingsKnotical

AllThingsKnotical Fishing seems to be the favorite form of loafing.
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +577
    Boat:
    I wish.....
    Lost my license and I know you can get a duplicate on the website but you have to pay again which is funny. Can you go into a tackle shop and get it printed out or do you have to pay for a duplicate there also??

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,379
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    When in doubt, the state just charges double...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,363
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Lost mine a couple years ago , A trip to the CADFW office and they replaced it , 3883 Ruffin Road up in Kearny Mesa . Good luck ! Add/edit think it cost 10$ as I recall.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,351
    Warning: Stupid Question about to be asked.....

So you need a hard copy of your license on you at all times? Am I understanding that right? If thats the case thats horrible. I have a hard time believing they don't have a database accessible to them where they can check on the status of a license.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,363
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Unfortunately the law is specific about having it in your possession , There are a few exceptions for divers and it still has to be within a specified distance of your diving put in or take out . Not much room for argument .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Yella1

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,541
    I don't know about you all, but I purchase my license online every year. When you log in to purchase it, you have the option of printing your license (I assume they do this so you can use it right away while your "official" copy is mailed to you). If you lost your "official" copy, can't you just log in again and print the PDF version of your license?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,650
    Horrible? Maybe at first blush. :)

Fishing license, Alcoholic Beverage Control license, Barber license, whatever. If you're participating in a state-regulated activity, your license has to where you're doing whatever it is you're doing.

Sure as Al Gore invented the internet, databases are worthless to a game warden. There is no internet or phone service available at many of the places I fish, and when I had a phone that included a wi-fi hotspot, it often didn't work.

A warden who contacts you in the field probably has no way to check a database..how's he or she gonna see that you're legal?

If you think your license is expensive now, think about how much it would cost to equip every warden with a device that would absolutely, positively have access to a fishing license database 7/24/365...if such a gadget even exists. And each warden would need a new one every year, to be failsafe. And each gadget would cost 3X what you or I would pay for it, because, well, gummint.

The cost of printing up a duplicate license is $17.54. I just went online to check. What's funny is to buy a duplicate, you must have your GO ID number, which is printed on....The license that you already lost.

What I do is make xerox copies of the temporary license I bought online and my permanent license when it shows up in the mail. So I've got my GO ID number if I ever need to buy a duplicate license.

If I lost my fishing license I'd dig those copies outta my files and carry the xerox with me. And if contacted by a warden, I'd show 'em the copy. "Yeah, I lost my license yesterday and tried to buy a duplicate online last night. But the DFW site was down." Or, "I'm a little short this week, but will buy a duplicate on payday."

Now of course all of my exchanges with wardens have been friendly. They're not gonna be interested in my xerox copy of the license if I opened with, "Oh, great, another jackbooted thug, just The Man trying to keep me down. Why don't you get a real job?"

Personally, I want a microchip installed in my body. Credit card info, drivers license, my parole officer's phone number, fishing license status can all be loaded into the chip. The store clerk, CHP officer, homicide investigator, or warden can just scan me and I'm good to go. But until everyone agrees to getting chipped....we have to carry paper licenses. Save a tree. Get the chip.

#7 carpkiller, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. ColdEye

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +360
    The copies, I might just do that. I am very forgetful of my license and it sucks when I wake up early to fish and I don't have it.

9. mlzpinoy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,068
    I get mine at Big 5 and I just called up and they said if you lose your receipt they can look it up with your drivers license or the ID you used and it will cost $11.06

10. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,709
    Name:
    Keath
    DFG officer was out this past Sunday checking all the Shore Pounders.

11. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,568
    Do we have a forum fan?
    *waves*

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. toddamus

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,351
    Good points and well said. Also reminded me of something I'm thankful for, that there aren't electronic copies of drivers license', birth certificates, SSI card, and car titles.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,709
    Name:
    Keath
    Yea, no joke. DGF drove down the access road at 9:05...5 min after Shore Pounders start time!!

14. Meezer_Man

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,254
    Boat:
    SeaEagle 9

They check this forum here to find out what time. =^..^=

#14 Meezer_Man, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  15. bart

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +270
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo11
    That's exactly what I do here in AZ, but being absent minded sometimes, I just print out a few, stick one in the tackle box, in with the car insurance/registration paperwork, desk at work, on the fridge, etc.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. HopTag

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +523
    I know this is late but Walmart can print replacement license for $10. I believe any place that sales them can print a replacement.