Life Vest

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by diegofish, Jun 18, 2020.

1. diegofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,530
    I know I can do research but seems like a fun topic to touch base on.

I just purchased a another tube and I'm almost done rigging it up

My question would be.......

Does the life vest have to have a certain "stamp" on it
    It's by a company named Eyson. Anyone ever hear of it??
    If this is not good I'm open to feedback. My budget is around $100

2. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,771
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    I think the main requirement is it be tagged , Coast Guard Approved , and be in serviceable condition . oddly enough there are some out there without the certification . Have a good one . WR

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +15,757
    If your budget is around 100 bucks, you're in luck. But like anything else fishing-related, your gear is a personal choice. Just because someone says their stuff is the bomb doesn't automatically mean you're going to think it is.

Life vests (PFD's).. a GREAT thing to have when float tubing. When I went looking for mine, I wanted something that (1) was SAFE and had Coast Guard approval printed on it, (2) I wouldn't even know I had on, (3) weighed as little as possible and had ZERO interference with my arms, and (4) and had a pull handle so I could activate it manually. So after asking others and actually trying one on for fit, I ended up buying a product called Mustang MIT 100.

https://mustangsurvival.com/product...j4CtFuC99JpIRUiVyEPgL5QpGzDNqbFxoC4XEQAvD_BwE

They retail from around 139 bucks or so.. but you can get them on eBay for 100 bucks - that's where I got both of mine. I loved the first one so much, I bought another for anyone that was joining me that maybe didn't have one of their own. eBay also sells the kits to re-arm the device should you have to activate it, or have an accidental activation.

Some guys prefer to go with those massive orange/yellow things that look more like something a water skier would wear. If it makes them feel comfortable and safe, I say go for it. But the complaint I always seem to hear about them is, "They're so bulky I cant move my arm to throw any fly line" and "It makes me sit at a strange angle so my back ends up sore after I fish."

Just throwing that stuff out there. To each his own. Again, its personal preference - and sometimes a matter of money, for sure .. I understand that too.

Anyway, it all depends what YOU want out of a PFD. Safety, a great fit, and Coast Guard approval should be your priority.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List