1. Last day to order Spotted Bay Bass Shirts

Today is the last day to order the new Spotted Bay Bass SDFISH shirts. Available on short sleeves, long sleeves, or UPF 50+ rated fishing shirts.

Order Now

Dismiss Notice

Listening to people talk while I'm fishing

Discussion in 'General fishing' started by Zebco33, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Zebco33

Zebco33 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +76
    I fished at Lake Poway yesterday and as you may or may not know, lots of people walk the various trails around the lake. So as I'm fishing I overheard several people's conversation. One couple walked by and the guy told his lady friend that he believes they can definitely swim in the lake. In fact he told her that he couldn't see any possible reason why they would be prohibited from doing so. In my mind I was like "because it's for drinking, you moron" but of course I resisted saying that. Later I spotted a male LMB guarding a nest along the shoreline and I threw a lizard at him. After several attempts I caught him. I showed him to a group of people walking by and one of them went ape (bleep). It might have been the first time he'd ever seen a live fish that close and personal. And then a little later I heard two ladies walking near me and one said, "I didn't even know there were fish in this lake. I wonder what they're all fishing for?" They were so close that I quickly told them about the Trout, Bass, and other species in the lake - and they were really surprised. Anyways this reminded me that a lot of people have never been exposed to the world of fishing, or even know about the many wonderful uses we get out of our reservoirs (one of them is not swimming). Don't be afraid to educate people about fishing or invite them to come with some time.

2. ChrisNorby

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +314
    Boat:
    Hobie Pro Angler
    In response to some of the conversations I've heard at the lake, it's also occasionally a hoot to join in and be like, " I know Veronica, It's like, totally insane that he didnt even bring home flowers for your birthday. Like he doesnt even care anymore Jessica!"

People talk very loud. I've learned a lot about the lives of the Lake Poway Hikers.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Carterantebi

Carterantebi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,238
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    *Fishing in saltwater*
    *catches a spottie*
    "Wow, is that a trout or a salmon? Why are you putting him back in the water?"

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Zebco33

Ratings:
    +76
    Oh man, you could have so much fun talking back to people!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. DA CZAR

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +914
    Dude..you cant believe the stuff i hear fishing at Murray in my tube especially in the early morning when they cant see you or know youre there ..ive heard everything from cooking recipes to who is f' in who in the office to "can you believe so and so " its crazy the gossip people talk about ..i even heard the two chicks comparing the sizes of this poor guys junk ..it was so funny ..sad if you were the guy they were talking about ...Personally ..the worse or best gossip you hear are when there are two or more chicks walking together..They can be so brutal ..

#5 DA CZAR, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,441
    Next time you hear people talking pull out your cell phone....

7. BassinNova

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +900
    My buddy Snag when we're posting deep in the tulles at Miramar will make funny bird noises (usually when the fishing is really slow) when folks are talking really loud. He also busted out some scented smelly jelly once and right afterwards we heard someone on the trail "whew, that is really garlicky." :p

8. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,441
    Is that someone on your boat when asking that????

9. Carterantebi

Ratings:
    +3,238
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    Haha I hope not! No, just shore/dock pounding I guess. "Wow, there's fish in the lake?" is usually pretty common with landlovers who don't understand the difference between freshwater and salt. Now that I think of it, my absolute favorite is when I'm targeting sharks or something and someone goes, "WHAT??? YOURE TELLING ME THERES SHARKS IN HERE? I WENT SWIMMING HERE YESTERDAY!!!"

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,193
    Every time someone asks me what I'm fishing for, it's "sharks". Even if I'm 300 miles from the closest saltwater, it's sharks.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,441
    I was fishing the beach once, and some guy came up to me and said something which basically was "there's fish here?"

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Cheese Whiz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,126
    My go to is "Guppies"

13. Hurke van Trout

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +175
    Boat:
    the leaky plank
    my go to is dolphins

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Zebco33

Ratings:
    +76
    How about the good old reliable - "what do you do with them? Do you eat them?"

Response - "No I put them in the blender and drink them!"

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  15. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,441
    I usually give a straight up answer - because there was a time that I didn't know jack about the salt and fish and fishing - (not that I know a lot now).

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. rza007

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +362
    Seen a guy from out of state dive in from jump off and swim to half moon. It was a hot day. The swimmer was in disbelief when he was told no swimming was allowed after his refreshing dip in the lake.

17. fishfanatic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +611
    Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Fishcat 4 Float tube
    Just today, I anchor a hundred yards or so from another boat with two dudes. I snatch one on the first cast: "Did he get one?" I reel it in, throw it back, and fire off another cast. Another fish: " Ya I think he's using a crankbait." (I hide my jerkbait behind my backpack). Third cast, third fish, they're just staring hahaha!

Same day, different boat eavesdropped: Two older guys anchored against some tullies. I catch a fish and am taking out the hooks: "They can catch all the bass they want...yada yada yada." Funny.

Moral of the story: Unless the wind is howling, always whisper on the lake:D

18. Cwoerner

Cwoerner Active Member

Ratings:
    +54
    My dad and I were fishing for surf perch with light tackle in Santa Cruz when a bait ball started to be attacked by birds. The bait ball was 300+ yards off shore so it was way out of casting distance. Right as these two woman walked by, a whale breached on the bait ball. I cast me motor oil grub out into the surf and hear "my friend is calling the cops." So I look over my shoulder at this really upset lady who screamed "you're not allowed to fish for whale, we are calllng the cops on you" as I tried to figure out how anyone could think I was fishing for a WHALE!?!? My dad said "Awe come on that was last week, and we learned it didn't taste good." He then explained how unrealistic they were being and the cops weren't called. Still I can't believe that people can walk the beach everyday and be so clueless.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Carterantebi

Ratings:
    +3,238
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    You gotta admit that would be quite the fight.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. Cwoerner

Cwoerner Active Member

Ratings:
    +54
    It would be epic.